Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 08:59 PM

52,259 posts, read 52,668,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's not the coworkers I mind that much... Besides, our party is with spouses or SO, which makes it stiff and stupid. You can't really talk with the coworkers and you have nothing to say to people you see once a year. Besides, I don't know of anything that isn't "offensive" to somebody here nowadays... To top it off, we bust our asses off all year, but the party is "children-oriented" with the appropriate annoying "entertainment"! It just sucks all around.
That blows... our company parties at least there is booze and no kids.... no offense to the kiddies, but come on, parents need a little wind down time.

Plus they usually get good room rates at the hotels that they have the parties at.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That blows... our company parties at least there is booze and no kids.... no offense to the kiddies, but come on, parents need a little wind down time.
That's because it's a family business and the big wigs have grandchildren...

Old 12-08-2010, 09:45 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
We're supposed to be having a two-day Christmas party here. I don't know if the two days are to contain all the partying or to clean up afterward.

Last year it was pathetic. It isn't as if it's a party just for the employees and the dancers. No, this is for anyone and everyone that walks through the door. So even if it were originally thought of as a "Customer Appreciation Party", that idea quickly bit the big one as strangers, their families and their pets all cascaded through the buffet line. I'd swear I saw more than a couple folks stuffing food inside their coats, then making a bee-line for the front door.

It DID make the usual cavity searches more festive though - kind of like wrestling with the turkey with the giblets still inside.

My partner is Jewish but doesn't mention the fact at Christmas. Of course, PC hasn't quite invaded our cozy little world here, so it isn't a "Holiday Observance" like so many straight-arrow establishments. And of course the booze flows like a frat-house kegger.

And I just KNOW who they'll want to play Santa again this year...yep, little ol' me. Now, I'm usually a guy who looks at holidays like a Dominican nun looks at Kim Kardashian, but hey - at least ol' Saint Phil's lap gets a workout. You'd be amazed at what some of the girls want in their stockings...

Old 12-08-2010, 11:08 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's not the coworkers I mind that much... Besides, our party is with spouses or SO, which makes it stiff and stupid. You can't really talk with the coworkers and you have nothing to say to people you see once a year. Besides, I don't know of anything that isn't "offensive" to somebody here nowadays... To top it off, we bust our asses off all year, but the party is "children-oriented" with the appropriate annoying "entertainment"! It just sucks all around.
That does suck! Kids don't need to be involved in everything. They aren't the ones putting up with the office BS to bring home the paycheck.

We don't get an outside party. I work for a small office in a large corporation, and we don't make the company money so we don't get to spend much. They are catering a lunch for us next week in the office. Then they decided we should do a white elephant gift exchange. No thanks. I'm only going to the lunch because the company's paying for it. I can't stand most of my coworkers so I choose not to participate in their happy hours, potlucks, gift exchanges, etc.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:34 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I work the graveyard shift, and the Xmas party is scheduled for a time when us nightshift workers are all asleep. How nice of them!

Lucky us! We had no intention of going anyway!

Old 12-09-2010, 04:06 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Mine is having a Christmas party, but its 30 miles away and a cash bar.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:25 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Nope, no Christmas party for me. And I am okay fine with that.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:49 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
Yes, the office Christmas party this year is at my boss's house on a Friday night. I am going. I feel like if I don't, I could be penalized at work somehow. No kids are allowed, and no spouses or dates either. The boss's wife will be there, but I guess she is exempt from that rule. It will probably be fun.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:26 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Man, everybody's Christmas parties sound miserable. My husband's was a nice lunch in downtown Chicago; I can't complain because his company has some nice benefits, so I know they're not stingy. My company typically has a catered lunch on site, but it's ... meh. I doubt I will go all the way to the office just to stand in a buffet line for half an hour.

Years ago, a company my husband worked for had awesome Christmas parties. They had gambling (just chips, no money--you'd turn in your chips for raffle tickets) and we won a bunch of prizes. I had beginner's luck at craps. I don't remember exactly what we won ... something electronic (a DVR?) and a big bottle of Godiva liqueur and some other things.

Today is my anniversary.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:41 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Today is my anniversary.
Happy Anniversary, JJ!

Are you guys planning anything special?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships