Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please choose
I am a male and I prefer a legal marriage 9 33.33%
I am a male and I prefer a life partership 2 7.41%
I am a female and I prefer a legal marriage 12 44.44%
I am a female and I prefer a life partnership 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:24 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,058,378 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to see how many people here would prefer to be married, have their marriage recognized by the government, and get all of the benefits and curses that come with it vs a life partnership, i.e. someone whom you are committed to, have had a union ceremony, basically everything that constitutes a marriage minus the paperwork. With divorce rates on the rise, I wonder if more and more people will begin to shift away from marriages in an effort to save themselves from the legal battles that come with divorce should the union go south one day.

To get more accurate demographics, I have added the two options for both male and females.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 06:29 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,674,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I'm curious to see how many people here would prefer to be married, have their marriage recognized by the government, and get all of the benefits and curses that come with it vs a life partnership, i.e. someone whom you are committed to, have had a union ceremony, basically everything that constitutes a marriage minus the paperwork. With divorce rates on the rise, I wonder if more and more people will begin to shift away from marriages in an effort to save themselves from the legal battles that come with divorce should the union go south one day.

To get more accurate demographics, I have added the two options for both male and females.
If you have a "life partnership" that's exactly like marriage but without a marriage license, that means you will accumulate joint property -- homes, cars, investments, furniture, kitchen utensils, heirlooms, china, etc. If your "partnership" ever ends, there is a good chance there will be a lawsuit. Maybe not calling it "divorce" would make you feel better, but for all practical intents and purposes, it would be the same thing. And if you have children in this "partnership", you will have to fight for custody, and failing to win, you'll have to pay child support. There isn't much of a difference, really.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,015,749 times
Was this poll overlooked or do no men on our forum want to be in any sort of a permanent relationship...?

P.S. I just shamed one into voting!;-)

Old 11-28-2010, 06:35 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,111,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Was this poll overlooked or do no men on our forum want to be in any sort of a permanent relationship...?

No, I just saw it and I love my wife very much. But what the other fella does with their life I figure it's his business.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:42 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,660,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post

That is usually how this works isn't it?

All joking aside marriage can be a good thing.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:01 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,922,540 times
yea your life partnership doesn't really solve anything unless you keep separate finances in everything. I think most people rather have a marriage, even with the curses.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:12 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,808,186 times
I see no point in being stuck in a dead-end relationship with no real purpose other than attached feelings. I voted marriage off course and I'm not one of those patient women to be involved in an 8 year-old relationship, he would have been ditched by the 2nd year.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:43 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,511,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
If you have a "life partnership" that's exactly like marriage but without a marriage license, that means you will accumulate joint property -- homes, cars, investments, furniture, kitchen utensils, heirlooms, china, etc. If your "partnership" ever ends, there is a good chance there will be a lawsuit. Maybe not calling it "divorce" would make you feel better, but for all practical intents and purposes, it would be the same thing. And if you have children in this "partnership", you will have to fight for custody, and failing to win, you'll have to pay child support. There isn't much of a difference, really.
I agree with this.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:34 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,058,378 times
So far, it seems like more women than men would take a life partnership. I expected it to be the other way around!

I found this article:

Nearly 40% say marriage is becoming obsolete - USATODAY.com

Old 11-29-2010, 08:43 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,015,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
So far, it seems like more women than men would take a life partnership. I expected it to be the other way around!
Well, that's not the only conclusion that can be drawn. It can also mean that boys just wanna have fun; in other words, they don't care for either type of commitment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships