Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:34 AM

146 posts, read 267,851 times

Advertisements

God invented women to make sex complicated.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannack315 View Post
Men and women are not mentally and physiologically the same. Just because a person makes an observation about one gender and forms an opinion. Doesn’t mean he has a small mind. It doesn’t mean they are hateful or sexist. Refusing to debate these things and blindly branding males and females totally equal in every way is truly small-minded.
Stereotyping an entire gender is not an argument deserving of support from a thinking/thoughtful being. It's not only asinine, but typically derived from an inexperience and undereducated worldview; child like really. Second, my husband has more in common with me than most men on this forum. And *News Flash* we aren't all cartoon characters virtually high fiving each other on the net. Those of us with functional relationships and full lives are under no obligation to placate gender challenged minds and bigots. The bulk of you (general you) will be put in your place, right where you belong. Further, based on my own observations, I charge the intelligence of bigots full stop.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
To an extent, some women create drama because instead of letting it go, they have the need to keep it going. Most men don't like to argue so if we (some men) can avoid drama, that's what we'll try to do. I suppose most couples think that "fighting is healthy"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Says the guy who resurrected a two-month-dead thread ...
That^ That^ and That ^ some more. The nonsense goes full circle every time.

Well done, Julia.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:17 PM

54 posts, read 69,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Stereotyping an entire gender is not an argument deserving of support from a thinking/thoughtful being. It's not only asinine, but typically derived from an inexperience and undereducated worldview; child like really. Second, my husband has more in common with me than most men on this forum. And *News Flash* we aren't all cartoon characters virtually high fiving each other on the net. Those of us with functional relationships and full lives are under no obligation to placate gender challenged minds and bigots. The bulk of you (general you) will be put in your place, right where you belong. Further, based on my own observations, I charge the intelligence of bigots full stop.

The reality is that stereotyping is wired into the human brain. I Don’t believe it’s derived from inexperience or under-education. Although you are right about it being child-like since it starts from the beginning of cognitive learning as an infant.

In adulthood stereotyping is a charged socially taboo thing. However it’s not always a bad thing. It only becomes problematic when people lose sight that stereotypes are not absolute. Which is why I stated in my post, that although females do often stir up drama. Men are sometimes the culprit. Stereotyping also obviously becomes a problem when it further develops into racism or sexism. I am not being sexist as I do not feel that a female’s higher emotional intensity makes her any less than a male. If someone were to start a thread on how males have a tendency to damage relationships by overly neglecting to communicate and express their feelings then I would be one of the first people to “stereotype” males and agree. Regardless of how many exceptions I see. An exception is just that, something that does not happen as often. I don’t care is I’m labeled as a bigot.

Since the dawn of modern psychology and sociology thousands of writers and social scientist have written millions of articles, books, and journals that illustrate key differences in male and female behavior. There everywhere online in blogs and news articles and popular books like ‘Men are from Mars. Women are from Venus.' How many articles or chapters have we read that are titled. Men are this way or Women are that way. Do you really feel they are all written by uneducated bigots?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannack315 View Post
The reality is that stereotyping is wired into the human brain. I Don’t believe it’s derived from inexperience or under-education. Although you are right about it being child-like since it starts from the beginning of cognitive learning as an infant.
And that's really the point. Children don't know any better and couldn't. It's a matter of simplifying based on assumptions that are not derived from experience or at least significant experience. I'm not sure about any of it being hard wired. Although, intelligence may be hard wired and a simpleton may not be able to differentiate hearsay assumptions from a reality that is unknowable to them. A reconciliation of the latter probably requires a level of depth that is also not in reach.

Quote:
In adulthood stereotyping is a charged socially taboo thing. However it’s not always a bad thing. It only becomes problematic when people lose sight that stereotypes are not absolute. Which is why I stated in my post, that although females do often stir up drama. Men are sometimes the culprit.
Sometimes implies rarely and that's about as incorrect as a statement could be. Any political junky knows full well that drama is coveted by men. Turn on any news station and you will be inundated with male talking heads leading the drama parade. Now, to be clear, this not so subtle reality might be missed by some, but we might want to pause and consider why. Politics takes drama to an obscene level. It's professional drama lol and based on my observations, it's not women alone stirring those pots.

Quote:
Stereotyping also obviously becomes a problem when it further develops into racism or sexism. I am not being sexist as I do not feel that a female’s higher emotional intensity makes her any less than a male. If someone were to start a thread on how males have a tendency to damage relationships by overly neglecting to communicate and express their feelings then I would be one of the first people to “stereotype” males and agree. Regardless of how many exceptions I see. An exception is just that, something that does not happen as often. I don’t care is I’m labeled as a bigot.
Suggestions of higher emotional intensity on the part of women falls flat from where I sit. Women may cry more. Men rage more. Both are drawing on their emotional centers, but if you want to address intensity, I suggest you pause as well and consider what you're saying.

Quote:
Since the dawn of modern psychology and sociology thousands of writers and social scientist have written millions of articles, books, and journals that illustrate key differences in male and female behavior. There everywhere online in blogs and news articles and popular books like ‘Men are from Mars. Women are from Venus.' How many articles or chapters have we read that are titled. Men are this way or Women are that way. Do you really feel they are all written by uneducated bigots?
Well, I certainly have my opinions about social scientists and the arm chair psychologists that take refuge in wildly interpreted assumptions made in this or that 'study'. Don't get me wrong, the data provided by epidemiological studies is useful and important. The data that results from investigations in human development, which typically involves physiology in one form or another, is also with merit. But, pop evo-psych (the most recent bastard child milked by arm chair net psychologists), and psych in general, is wanting and highly suspect. It's to be take with extreme reservation/caution. To be clear, my opinions are based on experience as a physical scientist who happens to have a psychology degree. Pscyh is based on quite a bit of individual interpretation. For that matter, so is the natural sciences, but clearly the checks and balances are superior.

To further pollute suspect interpretation of this or that data, it's funneled through bloggers and news person's who are not qualified to begin with. The watered down version translated by the common net arm-wanna-be is, again, nothing that I will give credence to. It has no more merit than today's horoscope.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:15 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I make no apologies for having strong, traditional views on relationships. If that makes me bigoted, so be it. That's how it's supposed to be, you and your hubby are supposed to click

Old 01-07-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
I make no apologies for having strong, traditional views on relationships. If that makes me bigoted, so be it.
Well, it's good that you're honest with yourself and that you put your views on the table. At least the women that deal with you will know exactly where you're coming from and a person can't ask for more. I respect that. Although, I don't know how Julia's point doesn't given you pause. Also, and not that you care what my opinions are, the fact that you volunteer your time with inner city kids makes you a fine person...even if you're short sighted. Reading that fact in the 2010 accomplishments thread just tickled me. I don't know if I'll be able to move past it.

Quote:
That's how it's supposed to be, you and your hubby are supposed to click
Indeed. That's how it typically goes. Of course that reality doesn't do much for the men vs women arguments. If men were generally the same (in behavior and otherwise), as well as women, my dh would have more in common with the men here. But, people like to reduce others as shallowly as possible. It's a simple approach; too simple.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:24 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times
Women do seem to create drama, but u can believe some man drove them there...

Old 01-07-2011, 01:26 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,277 times
caveat: I didn't read the thread.

There's some truth in the thread title but your boyfriends still an a**.

Men are socialized in men-men relationships. There really is not a lot of drama in those. They aren't all that close of relationships either.

Women are socialized in women-women relationships. From what I've seen theres plenty of drama in those. They are also a lot closer than men-men relationships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Women do seem to create drama, but u can believe some man drove them there...
That's hard to believe. From what I've seen women have plenty of drama even when there's no men involved.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
caveat: I didn't read the thread.

There's some truth in the thread title but your boyfriends still an a**.

Men are socialized in men-men relationships. There really is not a lot of drama in those. They aren't all that close of relationships either.

Women are socialized in women-women relationships. From what I've seen theres plenty of drama in those. They are also a lot closer than men-men relationships.

That's hard to believe. From what I've seen women have plenty of drama even when there's no men involved.
I disagree. I work with all men in my department (and a few women in the rest of the workplace) and the men are ALWAYS full of drama. It's like watching a soap opera out here sometimes. Backstabbing, ***** talking, all that stuff goes on constantly and since I'm the only female they like to come to me to 'vent' about it. I've never ever been in an environment (even all girl) where there has been as much drama...and these are grown ass men.

On the flip side, all of us gals get along swimmingly... we go out for drinks, lunches and talk all the time...it's great!

The guys on the other hand...very exclusive and catty. Who knew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships