Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 02:59 AM

14 posts, read 28,048 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So, I just wanted to bring up a discussion on internet dating; that first phone call .. first time you clapped eyes on each other, how was it for you?

I've been chatting to someone for the past two months now, we met over a well known dating site and he just sent me a mail and we went from there. I should probably say when I say 'chatting' I mean instant messaging over Skype - we haven't yet spoken, as we're often just missing each other/inappropriate time.. although now I think there is an element of nervousness which is prolonging the first call!

Oh one other thing, I am living in the UK, he is in Arizona - definitely not the ideal I know! He is 37, I am 27.

How was your first phone call/meet up.. was everything as you expected, or more/less??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Personally I don't think you should be wasting your time getting emotionally involved with a guy who lives on another continent. You are at the age in which you should be out meeting men in person. Real world attention is going to start thinning out for you sooner than you think; don't squander your youth on a fantasy man you may or may not ever meet. Frankly I'd guess this guy is a loser of some sort if he is getting emotionally attached to you... and if he isn't a loser, you are probably a fun diversion for him.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,553 times
internet dating doesnt end well most of the time. It has a higher failure rate then real life dating and often times there are emotional/psychological problems in one or both members. Also factor in the distance as well as the potential to lie, and you have yourself a pipe dream. Id advise against internet dating for the most part (from chats). Maybe something llike match.com could work in finding singles in your area but always stick to meeting in public places and never let them know where you live or your full name til later on.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the 'step-in-to-the-real-world' replies. I am well aware I could date locally, but what if you curious about who else is out there in the world, why should you restrict yourself to your area? I know its a long shot, but it does happen for some if not most.

My father met his wife over the internet 7/8 years ago, and have been happily married for 5 of them. I have a friend who met her husband over the internet, and so did her sister. Okay, all of these senarios happened within the UK but I did have a friend from Brazil who met her now husband, from Scotland over the internet. Theyre both living in Scotland now.

Anyone been in the same situation?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:54 AM

499 posts, read 891,811 times
i have been dating with my boyfriend whom i met on a hardware forum for 2 years. he's my everything we love each other so much. Eheh, in our first date, i was very excited. He was always looking at me and i was influenced by his blinks. He made me feel beautiful and he was charismatic because of his behaviours and blinks (i don't know whether the "blink" is an appropriate word here ) =) By the way i'm 22 and he's 28.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:52 AM

77 posts, read 171,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Personally I don't think you should be wasting your time getting emotionally involved with a guy who lives on another continent. You are at the age in which you should be out meeting men in person. Real world attention is going to start thinning out for you sooner than you think; don't squander your youth on a fantasy man you may or may not ever meet. Frankly I'd guess this guy is a loser of some sort if he is getting emotionally attached to you... and if he isn't a loser, you are probably a fun diversion for him.
Not only the fear that he is a loser of some sort but it sounds like the sob could be married or otherwise entangled.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:04 PM

I appreciate the replies - although I'm a little surprised how negative most people are being? Yes, I am sure there are alot of liers out there or people looking for an easy lay or whatever.. but I do believe there are some real and genuine people out there, as my post above shows.

Why would someone spend 2 months engaging in regular contact through email, chat etc.. whilst living in another country, only to be married/faking it.

We've had quite alot of intimate conversations, in terms of our past relationships and our own personal lives. I can't say I know him 100% but I have a good feeling about him and our 'connection'.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:13 PM

499 posts, read 891,811 times
actually people who meet over internet like the personality of each other before the exterior view. so it's sometimes more real.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:18 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjny View Post
Not only the fear that he is a loser of some sort but it sounds like the sob could be married or otherwise entangled.
Good point, a definite possibility considering the high number of times they "just miss" communicating online

Back to the op, I too can name a number of online success stories, but for each positive story I know of 10 negative ones. Enjoy chatting with the guy, but don't become emotionally invested. if you do, you may be squandering time you will never get back.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoowhoo View Post
actually people who meet over internet like the personality of each other before the exterior view. so it's sometimes more real.
Yes, I agree with you here - say if we just met in the street and didnt know anything about one another other than first appearances, then perhaps nothing would develop. I dont mean to say I dont find him attractive, but sometimes the first meeting you dont find out as much about the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships