Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 03:08 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times

Advertisements

Those are the same folks who have been lucky enough not to have a 'rainy day'. Its good to save so incase you get a flat tire, or need insurance deductible, or dental work you can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 03:25 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
When I was 34, I started my business. I had no savings and my share of debt. Turned out to be the best investment I could make. After that I never had to crawl behind someone for a job. Now everything's paid off and over half of what I make goes in the bank. Just depends on your plan.
That’s great if it works out. I have a friend who went into business with his brother and the business failed after mere months. He gave up his home, his high paying job, everything to start this business and now he has nothing.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:40 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,334 times
Americans today have one of the worst savings rates in our nation's history. Heretofore, even the revered property owner has subsidized their wealth with home equity loans (or their equivalent) and other means of credit (i.e. credit cards!). Heck, our entire country is indebted.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:20 PM

851 posts, read 3,626,809 times
So, if I am 30+ with lots of savings, that would be a red flag???

Personally, I would look down on you as you do not know how to manage the one essential thing in building a family or maintaining a life - finance.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:56 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
That's not true actually. If you start saving early and take some time before you buy a house you can buy it outright and buy used cars. Plenty of people in America live debt free actually. And actually travel and do stuff as well. It's all about making some sacrifices and taking time to do it though which is what most people don't want to do.
I know of not one single person that would be able to buy a house outright, unless they lived with their parents for oh, 20 years or so after school. Not happenin'. I'd love to meet such a person that does all of these things, and has never incurred a debt.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Yes, that was a poor choice of words on my part - my apologies.

I think personal philosophy and experiences have flavored my dislike of credit. I've "owned" a couple of houses - they ended up either "owning" me or were given away (think: end of marriage). I've "owned" dozens of cars, some of which were purchased on credit; I thoroughly enjoyed the ones I paid cash for, but grew resentful when a car that I was paying a $600/mn note on was breaking down constantly - yes, perhaps it was a poor choice of vehicle on my part, but having to pay for both repairs AND the on-going note was just frustrating.

I paid my own way through eight years of college and professional education, without taking any student loans; I watched as my fellow students were ground under the juggernaut of recurring loan payments for a good portion of their lives afterward.

I was also in a situation where I assumed, by mutual agreement, the responsibility of paying off a dozen or so maxed-out cards wielded by a shopaholic. There was a bad taste in my mouth after THAT little episode - not that I didn't know what I was getting into, but that my dealings with the blood-suckers behind the plastic were just too awful for words.
I can certainly understand that such experiences can lend a bad taste, and flavor your lifestyle accordingly. Luckily, I've been able to avoid such situations, so far.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
[font=Verdana]
Just last night the bf and I were lying in bed and we got to talking about money. He told me he thought the amount of clothes, shoes and handbags I buy is “abnormal”. What can I say, I am a girl who loves fashion and I go a little nuts sometimes…
Don't ask me about handbags. I was never EVER one to spend much on them. Well, I mean I'd buy ONE good one...and then that was it. I'd carry it until it was embarrassing. Seriously. One reason is that I am SO picky about them...I hate shopping for bags because I simply don't like most of them. So imagine my surprise when a couple of years ago, I walked into a shop in Paris, and found a bag that just looked at me and said BUY ME! I did, and then when I got home I called the shop and had them send me a 2nd one in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
The thing that gets on my nerves the most about that is the fact that he had such wild 20’s and 30’s. He spent money like it was going out of fashion on the most extravagant things, then woke up one day in his late 30’s and decided he should start saving for a home as he was so far behind everyone his age – so as his partner that’s what I’m expected to do as well. I have spent the past 9 years watching my friends travel the world during the years when I should have been doing the same thing and it makes me want to cry.
Yanno, not everyone did that. I mean I did travel internationally, in my late 20's, a lot, but that was only because of my job. After I married, had my son, and divorced, I traveled a great deal more, WITH my son. And that has been a pure blast. And we ain't done yet. So don't write yourself off dear, you have many many great years of opportunity ahead of you.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:18 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
well judging by the economy there might not be much to save.

there are alot of people who have had to move back in with their parents, cash in their 401K's, etc- its really just a sign of the times in many cases, doesnt make people an anomaly, just typical, unfortunately.

i am 37 and try and save, but i don't make enough money to be able to save much. i don't spend much though and i have no debt, literally zero, which in this economy can be as good as having savings.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:07 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Personally, I would look down on you as you do not know how to manage the one essential thing in building a family or maintaining a life - finance.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:17 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
In this day and age, I would think a man just scrapping by is a good catch. Lots of people who's savings have been wiped out or never got a fair chance to accumulate. Lots of people with college degrees filling our coffees at starbucks and what not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships