Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:06 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I thought so.

I love my job it is a great job. I know I will never get rich doing it, but I am content and happy doing what I do.
Money is not the most important thing. There's a lot to be said for being happy in your job. It's not a good feeling to not even want to get up in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:07 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Money is not the most important thing. There's a lot to be said for being happy in your job. It's not a good feeling to not even want to get up in the morning.
I think we have all been there at some point or another. To run down that dream and live is best a person can ask for.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 PM

851 posts, read 3,625,620 times
When?

Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
The one who makes more money has more power. Period.
Just cuz I can't swing the pole like her makes me powerless?!?

Old 12-03-2010, 10:58 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Women who make more than their husbands usually hold it over their heads every chance they get....let an argument break out and that's the first weapon she pulls out
My wife has never, ever done that. It's just always been a matter of fact: Her experience means she earns more money. Any job I would get would just go to fully pay the daycare costs, so there'd be no point. Therefore, I'm a stay-at-home dad, who loves to cook, clean, and play with his daughter.

Do I feel emasculated? No. Why should I? I'm doing my duty for my family the best way I can. That should be all that's required of a man.

Am I going to get a job? Most likely when my daughter starts going to elementary school next year, I'll get a part time job.

Will I ever make more money than my wife? Likely no. She's a programmer fluent in most of the majour languages. She's valuable, and she'll always make more money than me. Again, doesn't bother me, it's a pure fact.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:17 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You still have to pay all the bills and she has nicer stuff than you ?
Not quite. I earn more than my husband and probably always will. I also wouldn't say that I pay most of the bills because our money goes into one pot, but 90% is derived from my pay check. Further, as far as nicer stuff goes, of what little stuff we have, his is certainly nicer. When his car finally died we put him in a brand new Honda civic. My new car some years ago was a Versa. I knew he wouldn't want anything less than a Honda or Toyota and if we can manage it, that's what he'll get. It's a good investment for us. It keeps him safe and he deserves it. He has the flat screen in his office, a new computer, etc. He likes gadgets. I'm not into stuff outside my photography hobby. Whatever extra cash I have I'd rather it go into our home.

Point being, when the other is benefiting we're both benefiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
A story from early in my marriage.

I was starting out in my career while my wife had landed a great job with a Fortune 500. At a party, I was talking to this guy, who started asking questions about our respective careers. He finally asked, "Doesn't it bother you that your wife makes more than you?" To which I replied, "No. And she also makes more than you, too." That shut him up.
Love it! My dh would say the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
The one who makes more money has more power. Period.
Marriages that include power struggles, regardless of who is earning more, are wrought in misery.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
I'm not gonna lie, it would bother me because I'm old-fashioned to believe that the man should be the CEO of his household, which includes making the most money. Women who make more than their husbands usually hold it over their heads every chance they get....let an argument break out and that's the first weapon she pulls out

If you feel that way your wife shouldn’t work at all. Really, how egotistical is that, honey its ok if you work but don’t make more money than me because Im the chief, the commander in charge and how would that look to other men if my woman made more money than I. But its ok for her to work perhaps part time (because she’s still chief cook and bottle washer, right) at some low paying grunt job to earn just enough to buy her purty things.

Sounds like you and the ppl you know (apparently, most of the women that earn more than their husbands) are very insecure and petty. I know many women including myself that make more money than their SO and have never and would not be so petty as to use it as a weapon. A relationship is not a competition, it is a partnership and if this is the way a person feels their relationship is doomed from the get go.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:19 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I don't see why it should matter. I've always said I can make my own money. However, it would be nice to have a man around to do the yardwork, fix the car and the toilet and the computer, yada yada yada...

C4 will fix most of those tings,

hahahaha

Old 12-03-2010, 12:24 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Here on the Rancho, it all goes into one cookie jar.

hohohohohoho

Old 12-03-2010, 12:38 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
Women out-earning their spouses is the new norm today. Women have far lower rates of unemployment and have been earning more degrees than men. It's not a terrible thing, but what is disturbing is that men are starting to become a permanent underclass who are chronically unemployed or stuck in low-wage jobs.

In about 20 years, men will be where women were 100 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships