Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:50 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times

Advertisements

Eh, depends. I'm on fb no more than five minutes but only a few times that I was on for an hour and a half due to chatting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 08:50 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Photos were taken at my last class reunion in August and I noticed a few awefully fuzzy/blurry pictures that one the classmates took/posted. I wasn't at the reunion, but did enjoy looking at the "good" photos. As for me, I know what a fuzzy/blurry picture looks like and will not post one anywhere......I get rid of them! Some people are different though. They know how the photo looks and just plainly don't care and post it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
This is my BIGGEST pet peeve about facebook. I have a friend that is camera happy. I love photography myself, its a hobby of mine so it really bugs me when people take horrible horrible photos. I understand wanting to capture a moment but if people look terrible in the shot or its completely out of focus it is worthless to keep. To add to it, I am extremely UNphotogenic. She has snapped photos of me that are just plain terrible and will post them on facebook. I get soo pissed off. I have told her before please delete that, she refuses and does not seem to comprehend how upsetting this is to me.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedguy1032 View Post
It seems like there is starting to be a lot of talk about Facebook and the negative affects it can and is having on relationships.
What started out as a way for people to stay in touch with friends and family that no longer lived nearby has now turned into a paradise for Narcissists.

People spend hours on this thing posting every detail of their daily lives. It has become an online playground for infidelity as well as a place to engage in all kinds of online stalking and bullying and plain stupidity.

If your bf or gf or wife or husband spent hours on facebook would this bother you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Hours a week or a night? Yeah..of course. That's simply a waste of time. The internet offers all kinds of ways to waste time, and to cheat. If a person is a cheater, they'll find a way no matter what. I enjoy FB personally, it provides me and my rather large spread-out family with a way to stay in touch and keep up with each other. But I spend far more time here on CD than I do on FB. People can go overboard with anything. The technology is here, and will only get more "convenient". FB doesn't make people do anything that they don't want to do.

I don't get all the hullabaloo. If someone is going to cheat, they will find a way. FB isn't going to make them do it - "the devil made me do it", now it's FB. Give me a break.

I removed one "friend" who I allowed for a game I play but who constantly posted comments that annoyed me with their sophomoric content and ignorant swearing. I like keeping in touch with some friends and my family and FB makes it easier.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
I think the beginning of Facebook was an innocent concept of catching up with old friends and family members.

However, like everything else it always turns into something evil.

Posting something online with a picture of yourself can be saved and used. I don't believe it to be innocent to post a picture. Once posted you cannot delete it.

When someone else posts a picture of you without your concent like mentioned above it's not right. Maybe they don't want their newborn picture on FB. Maybe a picture is very offensive to the person.

At any rate, this world of technology will turn out to be like cigarettes. They all thought it was an innocent thing. Now we see the effects of smoking some years later.

Soon we will see the downfall of Facebook.

Remember, people can track you down because of a code each picture produces on a cellphone camera. So if you take a picture of yourself in your home and post it, someone out there can find out where that photo was taken.

Just sayn...be careful.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:22 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Facebook is great if you want to reconnect with people or update all your friends and family on what's new in your life. But I've noticed that a lot of people use it more as a way of peeking into the lives of people from their past. An ex, the people they went to high school with, etc. It's been almost 20 years since I graduated from high school and I'm not the slightest bit curious about the people from my class. Whether they went on to become rich and successful or ended up working at McDonalds makes no difference to me since it doesn't change my situation. But I guess some people need to feel like they did better than their classmates. Or they want to see that their ex, the one who dumped them, is still single and hasn't found anyone as good as you.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Both my kids are on FB,i asked them if i would enjoy FB, they said Dad FB only works if you have friends which you dont so dont bother..

Old 12-06-2010, 09:32 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
I think Facebook is whatever you make it for the most part. I know several guys who try to get as many friends as possible which are for the most part attractive young women they've never met in their life. As I've said before, for myself it's been a very good thing because I'm geographically isolated from all of my past acquaintences and it has allowed me to find out what happened to old friends and to also make some new ones. I do have Facebook friends that I haven't met but for the most part they're friends of friends and we tend to have other things in common as well such as being from my home town, being a musician like myself, or sharing certain points of view. I've had several young women send me friend requests which I accepted but when I discovered that they were really just trying to entice men to join their websites or whatever I just unfriended them. I haven't had any real problems and the good outweighs the bad.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:05 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,801 times
I don't think it is just Facebook(CD or whatever).It is replacing your REAL relationships/experiences with cyber ones. The computer world is not real in my life. I have a REAL life and online is no different than reading a book, watching tv, or having a cocktail......it's recreation and sometimes mindless entertainment. LOG OFF AND LIVE!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:21 AM

19,708 posts, read 20,240,448 times
My friend list is pretty minimal compared some of my friends. But I do find it as an easy way of keeping in touch w/ people and also keeping up with local events, as well as networking.

I have some very interesting friends who love and/or produce music, as well as artists, & people who are extremely funny or just generally creative, so it's an easy way to share, show support and stay in the loop! : )

There will always be those random people whose middle names are TMI! But that's why they developed the "hide" feature

Old 12-06-2010, 12:42 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'm fairly certain you can set security to restrict access to YOUR comments, to just your friends. Everything segment on FB now has a security setting. If you haven't set that up, you should.
ya, that's how its set and everything else is friends only. I just don't want comments I make on my friends stuff to be visible to those on my friends list that are not our mutual friends. I don't see any kind of option for that, unless I set my posts to myself, in which case nobody will be able to see anything I post at all. I wish facebook would edit that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships