Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:49 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,201 times

Advertisements

I find it fascinating that so many women still subscribe to gender roles, submitting to their man, etc.....as if they enjoy being owned. As a male I'd find it repulsive if my spouse "submitted" to me and who's sole desire was to "serve" me, as so many women seem to love doing. There can be mutual respect, of course I'm much happier with having a life long girlfriend for the sake of her keeping her own identity and honor.

Grant it, I'm more than likely one of the rarest breed of men being that I'm heavily supportive of feminism, secularism, etc....just have no desire to own my wife as if she were cattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 02:02 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I find it fascinating that so many women still subscribe to gender roles, submitting to their man, etc.....as if they enjoy being owned. As a male I'd find it repulsive if my spouse "submitted" to me and who's sole desire was to "serve" me, as so many women seem to love doing. There can be mutual respect, of course I'm much happier with having a life long girlfriend for the sake of her keeping her own identity and honor.

Grant it, I'm more than likely one of the rarest breed of men being that I'm heavily supportive of feminism, secularism, etc....just have no desire to own my wife as if she were cattle.
You may be a bit rare for this forum. My husband is like you, tho. I can't imagine my husband every asking me to change my name or do anything that would imply an application of controlling who I am.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:03 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Of course they own their wives.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:18 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
I took my husbands last name because it was more common than mine and I didn't have to explain my name everytime someone asked.

I'd never go back to my old name. If, for some reason, he and I were not together I'd use my middle name as my last name.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:21 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,284 times
I've always found those titles weird, probably because we always go for first name here, regards of who we talk to, other than royalties who get the "your majesty"-thing.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:22 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:

While I am in the process of changing my last name, I do not "submit" to him in any way or serve him. I still have my own identity, career, finances, etc. I am still ME. I just like his last name a little better. It's shorter.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:47 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Quote:

Hey, I am a woman and I would never do any of that. I am not a slave or anyone's property. I believe in a relationship based on equality and that is what I have with my SO.

But I have friends who do "submit" to their husbands...and they have called me a Feminist and have said Feminism has has ruined women's lives. They use the word "Feminist" as a curse word.

In a way I feel like they don't like Feminism because it puts too much pressure on them to get off their behinds and do something with their lives. (The ones I know are nothing but lazy gold diggers who have no desire for a career or even anything of their own and they are teaching their daughters that a woman will only be complete when she has children and child rearing is their only purpose in life )

Their mindset is very similar to these people's: (page 2)

When Having Kids is a Religious Experience - ABC News

When Having Kids is a Religious Experience | Video - ABC News

Take a look at what the father says about their daughters never setting foot in a college campus.

Last edited by KickAssArmyChick; 11-27-2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 03:05 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, you said in another thread that you weren't getting married anyway. So that works out.
That's true. I mean I can't get a date to save my life, so marriage is like a pipe dream LOL

Old 11-27-2011, 04:02 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Default Does a Husband own his Wife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Many years ago slavery ended. No one owns anyone except maybe the family dog or cat. Certainly no husband owns his wife. I can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to think they own their wife/woman or spouse. I hate being around men who 'talk down' to their wives, of who treat their wives poorly. One of my very good male friends treated his wife poorly and it ruined our friendship.
On the other hand... It doesn't sound like your co-worker treasures the fact that she is married. I wouldn't want to be married to a woman that didn't appreciate me... She needs to live by herself for awhile and make her own way in the world.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I don't know about anywhere else, but not in my state. Our marriage license application had a statement at the end that we agree we do not own one another and will not be abusive. This was spelled out to us verbally AND we had to acknowledge to the clerk that we read and understood what it meant.
It doesn't sound like you're joking... Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships