Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:14 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times

Advertisements

I didnt post that, that was a Quote from a previous post!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/16985748-post25.html

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I didnt post that, that was a Quote from a previous post!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/16985748-post25.html

Jonathan
Oh, OK. I didn't notice. My comment remains the same, but that has nothing to do with who posted it anyway.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I was totally following you until this last segment where you drift off into something that sounds more technophile and nihilistic. And yes, I know plenty of poor nerds/geeks.

And, uh, saying that they have great relationships is a bit of a stretch.

The whole guy geek thing, probably popularized by Weezer and Kanye's earlier "image", is largely just that-an image. True geeks and nerds generally do not do anything for the reason of being "cool" outside of those who would get it. Oh, yes they sure do try, but lack of experience and social awkwardness generally causes them to miss.

Here is a link to a good essay on being a "nerd"

Why Nerds are Unpopular
good article, the part that hit home was this:

Quote:
Another reason kids persecute nerds is to make themselves feel better. When you tread water, you lift yourself up by pushing water down. Likewise, in any social hierarchy, people unsure of their own position will try to emphasize it by maltreating those they think rank below. I've read that this is why poor whites in the United States are the group most hostile to blacks.

I really wasn't trying to be
nihilistic, I was trying to show that Geeks / Nerds have a work ethic, and that they work hard and are responsible, and that work ethic usually means a much better financial outlook.

Nerds / geeks arent driven by money, or social standing, they are driven by the desire to have the latest toys, and while there is GREAT competition among nerds of who has the latest toy, there is a deep friendship and respect for people in the community.

I was using my own life as my example. As being a fat geeky / dorky kid being bullied, and harassed finding my first tight group of friends at Star Trek Conventions, who looked beyond the fat geeky dorky kid, and started me on a path of finding inner peace, and confidence that started me getting into computers, that put me in another community of like minded people, who I grew up with and am proud to call them friends, these people are now married, have children, own companies and are pretty well to do.

I myself work as the head of a IT department for a childrens clothing company, own a house in Brooklyn, just bought a house in Las vegas
and while I'm nor "rich" i am by no means poor.

Jonathan

Old 12-13-2010, 03:07 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,978 times
"Cause baby we'll be
At the drive-in
In the old man's Ford
behind the bushes
until I'm screamin' for more
Down the basement
lock the cellar door
And baby
Talk dirty to me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXwxI...eature=related

Oh wait, talk nerdy...can't talk like this in a nerd thread!!! lol!

Old 12-13-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
"Cause baby we'll be
At the drive-in
In the old man's Ford
behind the bushes
until I'm screamin' for more
Down the basement
lock the cellar door
And baby
Talk dirty to me"

Oh wait, talk nerdy...can't talk like this in a nerd thread!!! lol!
OH YES YOU CAN, BABY....

(pant, pant)

Jonathan

Old 12-13-2010, 03:15 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times
"You are my sine, tangent and cosine!" - romantic speak
"I'll be the Ash to your Pikachu...and every time I will choose you! Now get inside my pokeball, b****!"

Now that's dirty nerdy (more like dorky) talk!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships