Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:36 AM

157 posts, read 474,572 times

Advertisements

I like hearing a man talk with a Welsh accent. Other accents aren't any more or less attractive--Welsh is the only exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 12:52 PM

350 posts, read 694,173 times
I really like the (educated) Jamaican male accent. It's sooo masculine.
I also really like the Welsh accent on a man.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:12 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,523,256 times
My first language is french (canada), but I like all kinds of different accents.

When in french, I like the parisian, Marseille accent and accents from the Maghreb. I like Italian accents as well. I don't like english and spanish accents.

In english, I like the british and australian accents. I kinda like southern US accents (spoken by women of course :-)). I don't like middle eastern and indian accent. I don't really like my own accent either :-P

Old 12-19-2010, 07:58 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,357,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I know not all Russians turn every American consonant into the Russian tverdiy equivalent, but I'm just saying I hate the sound of it when they do. I've heard a lot of Russian speakers that don't too, or that have a good mix of myagkiy and twerdiy sounds in their accent, or have no accent at all. I wasn't basing it off movies either--I've spent a considerable amount of time around Russians and in the Russian-American community. Lol, you do have a point though. It does tend to be older speakers that speak that way. Younger speakers tend to convert more of the consonants into myagkiy sounds, especially, for example, making team and deem sound like тим and дим rather than тым and дым. The latter I have heard and it sounds awful! Lol.
You would probably need ear plugs if you heard my father speak. He already has such a deep and loud voice and with his thick accent? Oh boy...

BTW, when I encounter an American who speaks my native language, I can't help but be impressed.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:01 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,439,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
You would probably need ear plugs if you heard my father speak. He already has such a deep and loud voice and with his thick accent? Oh boy...

BTW, when I encounter an American who speaks my native language, I can't help but be impressed.
I'm deaf...slava Bogu!

Old 12-19-2010, 09:09 AM

10,203 posts, read 17,801,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I think British accents on women are sexy. What's cool about them is that they could say the trashiest, sluttiest thing in the world and it would still sound classy: "Oh DrummerBoy, put down those bloody drumsticks you fancy so much for a minute and then give us a kiss; and then do me in the arse."
With a posh accent, yes. But there are some rough sounding accents in the UK that are not classy in the slightest and can actually do the very opposite: take something classy and make it sound rude and trashy.

Quote:
Conversely, I think an Aussie accent on a guy is cool; I'd kinda like to have one myself. I also like the way they use the term "mate" for a guy friend, and I sometimes say it myself.
The British use "mate" as well.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,042,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I think many foreigners also have a problem with intonation. They just carry on with the intonation of their native language. I believe I'm better in this respect because when I watch videos in my mother tongue the speech sounds a bit strange to me. Of course, one rarely sounds like a TV anchor even when living in your own country. The speech patterns in AZ are very close to what you hear on national TV, though, and I like that.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:06 AM

727 posts, read 538,847 times
Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships