Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:50 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
This is the only logical answer.

Every situation is different
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 05:59 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Like others have said, it does depend on the two people involved.

For example, this past summer, I met someone who lives in Wisconsin. Pretty much all of my extended family lives up there as well, though I'm not much for family gatherings. I could easily transfer within my company to a Wisconsin location.

Both of us live in apartments, so that's a draw there. All of her family lives in that state, if not nearby...but she doesn't have a job or a car. I'm pretty sure her parents are still supporting her (at 37).

There are a few issues in the way. For one, there's no way I'm going to drop everything and move somewhere else unless MY name is on the lease--it's too easy for someone to decide that they don't want you living there anymore when your name doesn't appear on the paperwork, and I'm not looking forward to being homeless again. Especially in a land of ice and snow. Also, my room mate isn't capable of living on her income alone, drawing SSI, there's no possible way for her to afford housing in this state. And, having been homeless myself, I couldn't intentionally put someone else through it.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:12 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
I have such a situation. Both of us have good jobs and would have a hard time finding a new one in either location. Both of us own homes big enough for two. Her parents are there and I have no relatives here and she said that is the deciding factor for her. Problem is she has never lived outside her current area and I'm not sure she'd leave for any guy in the world. In other words she expects me to sacrifice to be with her but I'm not sure it would work the other way around. Who know how she would react unless the possibility actually came up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships