Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,361 times

Advertisements

So Im a curious individual. Im on a need to know basis, and ask a lot of questions. I dont have ill intent, I just like to know things. So I ask my bf a lot about what qualities he was attracted to in previous girlfriends, what works for him, what doesn't etc. But whenever I ask him for his "type" he automatically references a friend of his mother (married with children obviously). He says he loved her style, the way she carried herself, her confidence, and her looks of course.
Now hes 27 and Im 23. He was around this women (38) when he was in high school and beginning of college (17-21 range). I kind of wonder (with me being 4 years younger) if he is attracted to this type of women (older) not that Im not confident etc, can he honestly be attracted to me?

Can a man who is into an older women be content in a relationship with someone younger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 02:03 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,641 times
Would you have felt better if he mentioned someone your age or younger?

Old 12-17-2010, 02:22 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Op, you really need to get some self-confidence.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:26 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,524,961 times
He can like older women and younger women. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I like older women for their confidence too. But younger women compensate with their youth.

Same things goes for men.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:56 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,636,281 times
"What I lack in experience, I make up for in enthusiasm"

Jonathan

Old 12-17-2010, 04:45 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,303,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valorie293 View Post
So Im a curious individual. Im on a need to know basis, and ask a lot of questions. I dont have ill intent, I just like to know things. So I ask my bf a lot about what qualities he was attracted to in previous girlfriends, what works for him, what doesn't etc. But whenever I ask him for his "type" he automatically references a friend of his mother (married with children obviously). He says he loved her style, the way she carried herself, her confidence, and her looks of course.
Now hes 27 and Im 23. He was around this women (38) when he was in high school and beginning of college (17-21 range). I kind of wonder (with me being 4 years younger) if he is attracted to this type of women (older) not that Im not confident etc, can he honestly be attracted to me?

Can a man who is into an older women be content in a relationship with someone younger?

The fact that he's using a specific older woman as an example of his "type" does not mean that he likes older woman necessarily. He gave you an example of a woman with the qualities he likes.

Aside from that, I think you need to change your mindset. He's with you by choice, because he wants to be with you. He can also choose to leave, as can you. Bottom line, unless you're witnessing behavior that suggests he is no longer or never really was attracted to you, I wouldn't focus on the age. If anything, focus on becoming more confident and poised and stop asking him about his type.

BTW, I know my husband prefers petite, dark-eyed, dark-haired, olive-skinned and big-breasted women. The only two criteria I fit into are the petite and the sort-of dark-haired. I'm pretty certain he's still attracted to me and loves me, no matter what physically perfect-for-him young hotties are out there.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:05 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valorie293 View Post

Your boyfriend likes a woman who is confident. A confident woman holds herself well. She looks great because she feels great. She dresses in ways that flatter her, because she knows herself so well. And if you disagree, she doesn't care. She carries herself well because of this confidence too.

Confident women are sexy, and your boyfriend knows it. You need to understand that these traits are timeless and ageless. YOU can be confident, but as we can see by your starting this thread, you have no confidence. I say you should work on that, instead of worrying about your boyfriend. Browse around and try reading a well-reviewed self help book on the topic.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:13 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,108 times
I have to disagree that anyone can become confident. Sure, sometimes people evolve and gain confidence because of some great endeavor or when they age, but generally, people either are confident or they aren't. It's something innate in a person and the OP obviously doesn't have it. So your BF likes older women, confident women, etc. and makes a general remark about it. It's important enough for you to post it on an Internet board, soliciting opinions? Anyone with confidence or maturity couldn't care less about this. It seems like an inconsequential event.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:59 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I have to disagree that anyone can become confident. Sure, sometimes people evolve and gain confidence because of some great endeavor or when they age, but generally, people either are confident or they aren't. It's something innate in a person and the OP obviously doesn't have it. So your BF likes older women, confident women, etc. and makes a general remark about it. It's important enough for you to post it on an Internet board, soliciting opinions? Anyone with confidence or maturity couldn't care less about this. It seems like an inconsequential event.
I totally disagree. People absolutely can gain confidence. It takes real work, which is something most people aren't willing to do. Work, or you can wait until you are old enough to not care what people think about you. But that isn't confidence.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:04 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
Valorie my gal.........I've been there...that is 23...lol Now looking back, I honestly didn't know shat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships