Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:38 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times

Advertisements

Life is too short, you stay away from people like that, they love to be unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 10:55 AM

896 posts, read 1,399,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
There are some things you'll never have control over. For example, I have no control over the job market. So I can't use that as an excuse not to look for a job. But there's a lot of things I do have control over. If If I hate my job and want something better, I have to go out and find it. I can't wait for it to fall in my lap. But some people don't like the idea of working hard for something if there's no guarantee it'll work out. So it's easier to believe they just have bad luck than take responsibility for where they are in life.
I definitely take action and do wait for anything to fall into my lap. I am independent contractor and I would not have made it this far if that is not the case. However, I am definitely slipping and have to find out what next in my life.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:06 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Why do some people complain about things, but then do nothing about it? I have one friend who, every year around the holidays, complains about not having anywhere to go or no one to spend it with. She vows that next year will be different. But then next year rolls around and it's the same thing. If I ask her why she doesn't do anything about it, she interprets it as an attack.

There are some things in life that you have no control over. Traffic, the weather, the job market, etc. So complaining about those things seems rather pointless. But if it's something you have some control over, like your personal life or finding a job, how can you complain about it while sitting back and doing nothing to change it? I guess I'm trying to understand the psychology behind this sort of behavior. Is it fear? Are these people afraid of trying to change their lives and not succeeding? Is it inertia? Do they genuinely want to change their lives, but can't find the energy to start? Is it just a way to deflect blame and not have to take responsibility for their own lives? And if you're on the outside, how do you help such a person, assuming you even can?

They want to give the blame to someone or something else.
If someone wanted to genuinely change their lives; they would of done it or tried to do it. I always ask them what are you doing to change it?
If they wanted help then I would suggest things to them.
I usually dont associate with people who are negative.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:10 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I've definitely had friends like this. They just have the same complaints all the time and after you offer advice time and time again and they still complain and don't change their situation, it's really frustrating. I'm convinced that those are the types who just love to hear themselves talk and love to complain.
I agree with this. It's a victim thing. It's also a "me, me, me" thing.

I remember a guy who would call his friends after every little disagreement with his girlfriend, to the point that they were annoyed and he couldn't understand why. I told him that people are not always up for hearing about problems, especially the same ones, over and over. He said "But I need someone to talk to.". To him, his friends were supposed to be there for him, no matter what, because that is what friends do. Real friends also don't suck the lives out of one another with endless drama and negativity.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:27 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,577,512 times
[quote=PassTheChocolate;17086314]I agree with this. It's a victim thing. It's also a "me, me, me" thing.

I remember a guy who would call his friends after every little disagreement with his girlfriend, to the point that they were annoyed and he couldn't understand why. I told him that people are not always up for hearing about problems, especially the same ones, over and over. He said "But I need someone to talk to.". To him, his friends were supposed to be there for him, no matter what, because that is what friends do. Real friends also don't suck the lives out of one another with endless drama and negativity.[/quote]

Wow, This reminds me so much of my friend of almost 20yrs. I almost want to stop being friends with him. I ignore his calls some days because I know the conversation is gonna be about what she did to him today. Leave her *ss and then call me.

LOL!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It's also a "me, me, me" thing.
The "me, me, me" part is so true. Some people just have to have an audience. They don't even bother to ask whether the other person is interested. It's all about them and their need to talk. That's one of the good things about being an introvert. If I have something on my mind, I don't feel compelled to share it with everyone else.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:02 PM

28 posts, read 50,121 times
Default If life is hard, why complain if people hurt you?

If the elemental aspect of life is that it's hard, then why complain when people hurt you? I don't believe it is hard, it's just our PC society that says it is. But if life has difficulty, should people complain about cheating, illness, abuse, or any other hardship in life?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:06 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times
It's not complaining but venting frustrations, hurt, etc and having people there to help you understand your feelings and maybe guide you to a better place in your feelings.

And to say that life is not hard, what rock are you living under? Or are you so oblivious to life that you're not really living life? Life is hard sometimes, it has it's ups and downs.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:10 PM

28 posts, read 50,121 times
I'm entitled to my opinion. lol...

Old 03-27-2013, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,860 times
Great responses and what if that person who complains is your husband. I am the fixer and he wants to just keep on talking and complaining and making excuses on why none of my numerous suggestions will work or work for him...LOL..and wow, the list is long and drives me completely crazy. I have pretty well just learned to not suggest a fix and just to say, what will you do about that??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships