U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:05 PM

727 posts, read 403,855 times

Advertisements

Of course not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 04:14 PM

3,408 posts, read 5,148,113 times
There is a sort of karma. I've seen it happen, even if it takes 10 years. It's not something mystical, but cause and effect.

I had a gf in my early 20s that was quite the player and user of people. She had a gift for BS and getting what she wants. She was also lazy and partied a lot. I broke it off with her but observed her life for the next 10 years. She is now basically homeless and without any friends. Game over.

Edit: this is an extreme case, but not isolated. i can think of a few others a little less dramatic. the point is you have to be "real". you can only fool people for so long and if you don't have anything solid to base you life on, it will eventually all come crumbling down.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:20 PM

128 posts, read 215,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Understanding and accepting it are two different things.
So true.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:44 PM

6,462 posts, read 6,488,412 times
I've known very selfish people in my life, that have created such unhappiness for those around them. On the face of it they look like they just skate through life unscathed and I would like to believe they will pay a price. Maybe they have and I just haven't seen it.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:47 PM

8,680 posts, read 12,881,989 times
I'm inclined to take the opposite tack: No good deed goes unpunished.

But I've been known to be just a wee bit cynical. Just a wee bit.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:08 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,259,810 times
I'd love to believe in karma, but I've rarely seen it. What I have seen plenty of though is people who've achieved great success, but only because they got a lot of breaks. It's easy to be a little jealous and feel like you deserved what they got. In fact, I started a thread about a friend who complains about that. But I learned a long time ago to accept that life isn't fair and you just have to work with what you've been given. What gets me are the people who are the winning side. Instead of being grateful for their good fortune, they're a little too quick to pat themselves on the back and take credit for it. But the moment something goes wrong, they're the same people who blame someone or something else. I saw this a lot during the housing boom. One guy was making a killing on flipping houses. But instead of saying he had a good market, he praised himself acting like he was some real estate genius. Then in 2006, everything crashed. He lost a lot of money and to this day blames Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae.

When it comes to relationships, it's easy to find examples of people we think are good have bad things happen to them. I don't know many people who think Halle Berry is a bad person and yet she's been cheated and I think even beaten. That's not to say it was just bad luck. Obviously she has to take responsibility for the kind of people she chooses to be with. But at the same time, how can anyone look at her and she deserved to be treated that way?

Old 12-22-2010, 05:13 PM

9,415 posts, read 11,309,796 times
I don't believe in karma personally. I have seen bad things happen to really nice people. Sometimes people who do bad things suffer though. I'm pretty sure that douche Bernie Madoff is suffering right now with the suicide of his son...but then again his son's young kids have to suffer and they have done nothing wrong.

I've lived long enough to not really have any answers to these tough questions.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:24 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,273,804 times
I too like to think that what goes around comes around, but I also know "no good deed goes unpunished."

I think it's a matter of wanting to feel in control. There are some things completely out of our control though, and even more things that we can't control much.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:30 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,294,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Exactly, which is why you'll hear people call the unemployed lazy. If your coworker loses their job, you can tell yourself they were lazy and as long as you work hard, you won't lose your job too. It's also a kind of arrogance. You can tell yourself that you're better than them which is why it didn't happen to you.
I hate this with a passion! Unemployment, a tragic catastrophic illness can happen to anyone at any time. It makes me so angry and so sick to hear people rag on unemployed people. I feel like there but for incredible luck go I. So many good people have had to sell their homes. Many long time customers can't come to town now. (I work in a resort area) They don't deserve the shaft it just happens sometimes. To say they are lazy and that we should cut their unemployment help sickens me. How would these arrogant people feel if it happened to them? Rant over.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:47 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,757,366 times
Great thread, Denny! Being the child of a holocaust "survivor" (well, he was actually like the walking dead at times...hate that term survivor ) and my own tribe's legacy on earth reared me with the certainty that fairness is a unachievable concept. However, it warms my heart when I witness attempts at evenhandedness. I even try to be "fair" myself most of the time. I even try to do good deeds and get bitten back most of the time. But, WTH, ya gotta be in the game or there's no game left in you. So, I continue on trying to be fair and helpful........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or