Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 03:41 PM

9 posts, read 9,650 times

Advertisements

I hate dating and I won't do it. It feels contrived. In fact, that's exactly what it is. I cannot distinguish between an interview and a date. I kind of understand why dating exists but what baffles me is that it is the norm. When did this happen and why?

I should say that even though it is the norm I find it far from normal. I see it as weird. I like to meet and gradually get to know people in what I consider a naturally occurring situation and environment, such as work, family gatherings, hobbies, sports etc (yes, there are really no shortage of opportunities). Conversation feels spontanous and uncontrived, unlike on a date where the person you are talking to seems to have read 'Deirdre's Top Ten Dating Tips for what to say and what not to do blah blah'.

If I have the choice between asking someone I like out on a date or risking never seeing them again, I will always choose the latter without even thinking about it. The reason is that if things are meant to be between us then we will meet again without having to contrive something and, if not, then I will meet someone else. No big deal getting stressed out about someone you do not know well enough to love, no matter how attractive they seem.

Dating to me seems rather desperate. Anyone else hate it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 03:47 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Feather View Post
I hate dating and I won't do it. It feels contrived. In fact, that's exactly what it is. I cannot distinguish between an interview and a date. I kind of understand why dating exists but what baffles me is that it is the norm. When did this happen and why?

I should say that even though it is the norm I find it far from normal. I see it as weird. I like to meet and gradually get to know people in what I consider a naturally occurring situation and environment, such as work, family gatherings, hobbies, sports etc (yes, there are really no shortage of opportunities). Conversation feels spontanous and uncontrived, unlike on a date where the person you are talking to seems to have read 'Deirdre's Top Ten Dating Tips for what to say and what not to do blah blah'.

If I have the choice between asking someone I like out on a date or risking never seeing them again, I will always choose the latter without even thinking about it. The reason is that if things are meant to be between us then we will meet again without having to contrive something and, if not, then I will meet someone else. No big deal getting stressed out about someone you do not know well enough to love, no matter how attractive they seem.

Dating to me seems rather desperate. Anyone else hate it?
You could always ask your parents to arrange a marriage for you.

It's worked for millions of miserable women everywhere for centuries.

Aside from that, if you don't date then how do you find someone to have a relationship with if that's what you want.

If you don't like dating, then why bother attempting a relationship. It doesn't get easier when you have someone anyhow.

And your analogy:

Quote:
(No, things don't just happen miraculously and a relationship spontaneously happens like in a 2 hour movie "because they were meant to be we eventually hooked up". And yes, everyone eventually "meets someone else". Contrived? O.K. So relationships are based on something contrived? Where does that come from? You want "instant perfect boyfriend" or are you willing to put in the work it takes to develop a relationship?)

1. If you are dating someone with half assed enthusiasm, then you're going to receive the same lukewarm attention you give to them.

2. If you are dating someone that isn't for you, then don't go out with them, the more time you spend dating someone wrong for you, you're taking away from someone perfect for you coming into your life.

3. If you have the choice between asking someone out on a date YOU REALLY REALLY LIKE, or risking never seeing them again because you didn't ask them out... Umm.. what's the point of even mentioning it? You DIDN'T ask them out and you REALLY LIKED THEM, and so therefore you didn't gain anything and you didn't risk anything. It's a wash! Neutral. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Why bother mentioning it, because you're not interested in dating. Part of dating is getting to know someone. If you're not interested in getting to know someone to find out if you want to venture the risk of entering into a relationship then what's the point?

You can't be a half-interested DATER. You are either in it to win it, or you're not into it at all. DON'T WASTE THEIR TIME, OR YOURS if you're going to be HALF ASSED into starting a relationship.

Stay at home alone with your fuzzy slippers, a romance novel, and a bottle of wine.

Last edited by LuckyGem; 12-22-2010 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-22-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Aside from that, if you don't date then how do you find someone to have a relationship with if that's what you want.

If you don't like dating, then why bother attempting a relationship. It doesn't get easier when you have someone anyhow.
I don't need dating to find someone. And I don't dislike dating because it isn't easy. If anything it is too easy

Old 12-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,580 times
date better people

or learn to make a date more fun

ive been on tons of dates and only once had it ever felt like an interview. but that chick was ucking insane!

Old 12-22-2010, 04:02 PM

128 posts, read 253,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's worked for millions of miserable women everywhere for centuries.
Small Feather never said she was miserable, only that she hated dating.

I hear you, SF. I'm the same way. Dating seems unnatural and contrived, like an interview.

There's nothing wrong with needing to form a friendship first -- it's just not the commonly accepted way of doing things.

Are you introverted? If so, it's no wonder you feel the way you do. Introverts are vastly outnumbered by extroverts, and dating/socializing doesn't come naturally to innies.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:07 PM

Go on an 'adventure date' where you are both too busy doing an activity together that you don't have time to think about your laundry list of "haves and won't haves".

Rock climbing.
Cooking class.
Wine tasting.
Some kinda lecture.
Take a guided tour of a museum.
Learn how to swim together.

Or, join some groups that volunteer around your community, you're likely to find someone interested in the same things and you can develop a friendship.

If a date feels like an interview to you then maybe the person you're dating doesn't have dating skills.

I still don't agree with the whole... "if i like someone and don't ask them out i'm not missing out on anything cause we'll cross paths eventually or not".

Old 12-22-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Introvertere View Post
Small Feather never said she was miserable, only that she hated dating.

I hear you, SF. I'm the same way. Dating seems unnatural and contrived, like an interview.

There's nothing wrong with needing to form a friendship first -- it's just not the commonly accepted way of doing things.
I never said she was miserable.

I said arranged marriages have worked for millions of miserable women throughout the centuries. Meaning, if you don't want to date, you can always have Mom or Dad pick out your mate and you can be miserable with the choice they made for you.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:14 PM

45,363 posts, read 60,546,019 times
I wouldn't mind dating, probably, but Mrs. NBP would likely get testy about it.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
date better people

or learn to make a date more fun
I'm not sure what you mean by 'better people'. That's what I hate about dates. You don't know enough about the person to know if you want to spend time alone with them doing some activity that has been contrived by one or both of you. Making the date 'more fun' doesn't change that.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Feather View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by 'better people'. That's what I hate about dates. You don't know enough about the person to know if you want to spend time alone with them doing some activity that has been contrived by one or both of you. Making the date 'more fun' doesn't change that.
So you don't want to put in the work to decide if you want to spend time with them?

Quote:
You don't know enough about the person to know if you want to spend time alone with them
Which is the exact purpose of going on a date in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships