Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,301,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Neither jealous nor distrustful. Poisonous snakes do not always bite and even when biting do not always inject poison. My looks have allowed me to skate as well. Not always, so I know when and where it happens. I have one foot in many doors.

Developed personalities take work.

If your looks have allowed you to skate as you say, then, you must dislike yourself because you are one of the "beautiful people". Also, people with "developed personalities" learn not to generalize or judge based on outward appearances. Maybe your insecurity is that people might actually see through all the BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 09:46 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,201,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
... Also, people with "developed personalities" learn not to generalize or judge based on outward appearances. ...
I disagree. Being able to work with generalizations for what they are is far more developed than pretending they do not teach you anything. Once again judging does not come into it. For instance on the poisonous snake. You do not judge it as good or bad for being what it is. You judge it for whether it bit you.

To generalize is a survival mechanism. With out being able to assign things to groups it is hard to know how to deal with them. Should you trust all snakes? Now the danger comes in when your generalizations cause you to blindly assume all traits of a group are unvarying and locked. As I wrote repeatedly in the previous posts I do not think that way.

As for people seeing through my BS? My gosh I hope so. That would indicate depth. The problem I more routinely encounter is people like yourself that are unable to comprehend outside their world view. If they have not experienced something, imagination lacks.

I have not gone into my insecurities since I have been responding to your posts. I had legion of them growing up. Most have felled by the wayside with the years. I guess the biggest I have now is worry about dying and health. If you live long enough you eventually realize how minimal most of the rest are.

Good fortune.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,297,277 times
Most of the insecurities I had growing up revolved more around how I thought or wanted others to perceive me.

I think I've overcome many of these as I've gotten older and today struggle with insecurities of how I perceive myself; Am I doing what I need to do for my children?, Have I accomplished what I wanted to or realized my potential? and Do I still have enough time left to see & do those things I wanted to?

I guess they all revolve around aging and with that of course comes what I see when I look at myself in the mirror.

Last edited by robee70; 12-29-2010 at 10:39 AM..

Old 12-29-2010, 12:43 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,084,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-ever-learning View Post
Hello everyone--

If you could change something about yourself what would it be? Most people would say it's something about how they look be it weight or a feature. For me I like the way I look, but forever my insecurity was attitude. I was once painfully shy. Just the thought of talking to a woman put a crippling fear in me. As time went on I adjusted and became arrogant. Then a humbling experience brought me back down to where I needed to be. Now I like where I am, how I feel, how I look and act. how about you?

Sorry to say I dont have any insecurities...

Old 12-29-2010, 12:46 PM

471 posts, read 1,041,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
Most of the insecurities I had growing up revolved more around how I thought or wanted others to perceive me.

I think I've overcome many of these as I've gotten older and today struggle with insecurities of how I perceive myself; Am I doing what I need to do for my children?, Have I accomplished what I wanted to or realized my potential? and Do I still have enough time left to see & do those things I wanted to?

I guess they all revolve around aging and with that of course comes what I see when I look at myself in the mirror.
Robee, I was once told, "you can't ride a horse without getting on it first." So whatever it is you've always wanted to do, if you have the means to do it, what's stopping you? Is it fear? If it's fear, say, "********* fear" and just do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships