Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:08 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,464,851 times

Advertisements

They're in your home, your rules. The kids using cellphones, texting, playing games on them - make a LOUD announcement when all are seated, e.g. "ATTENTION, PLEASE! This is a family gathering! We're here to enjoy each other's company at this time of year so everybody who has a cellphone or a blackberry or a blueberry or whatever, shut them off NOW! You can turn them back on once you leave here!"

It's that simple. I own and operate a restaurant and harass those customers, both young and old who can't stay off the damned things. My bartender/server rules have likewise been rewritten to reflect all these new problems.

It's become quite a social plague. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 12:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,460,589 times
I think Darwin's going to catch up with the texting addicts. Unfortunately for them, when they're that addicted to their texting, that they can't put the cell phone away even to eat and celebrate a holiday meal, they'll text while driving and that's going to be the end of them at some point.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:27 PM

51,904 posts, read 52,306,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
...not only that, but they're starting threads on CD that are titled, "Why Can't I Make Friends?" or "Why Do Women Not Want A Relationship With Me?"
Not only that, but I work with a lot of younger guys and I do a lot of training and mentoring, I've also been involved in the hiring process, and I just can't believe the sense of entitlement and lack of work ethic a lot of these younger people have.

One of these days I'm gonna grab the cell phone and stomp the shyt out of it. They can't put the f ing things down long enough to get anything done.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:13 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,619,916 times
I am so glad I don't have family gatherings to attend and conform to one million rules of other people

All you table manners snobs deserve each other. So just sit in a circle, wail, breast beat and enjoy that group therapy session

Old 12-24-2010, 01:18 PM

35,957 posts, read 30,501,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
They're in your home, your rules. The kids using cellphones, texting, playing games on them - make a LOUD announcement when all are seated, e.g. "ATTENTION, PLEASE! This is a family gathering! We're here to enjoy each other's company at this time of year so everybody who has a cellphone or a blackberry or a blueberry or whatever, shut them off NOW! You can turn them back on once you leave here!"

It's become quite a social plague. Cheers!
Exactly. Turn the phones off.

My brothers oldest, geesh. When he came to my home focused on his cell phone, grunting yes/no answers I took the phone from him. I have also strongly corrected him for disrespecting my brother. I cant believe my bro.(a cop) and SIL (a teacher) allow this kid to speak to them the way they do. I would still slap my grown kids into next week if they sassed me like that.

I guess the most disrespectful thing Ive experienced is parents allowing their little kids to run amuck at my house. Im pretty laid back, but I hate being put in a position that I have to correct someone elses kids.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:22 PM

35,957 posts, read 30,501,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I am so glad I don't have family gatherings to attend and conform to one million rules of other people

All you table manners snobs deserve each other. So just sit in a circle, wail, breast beat and enjoy that group therapy session
Living amongst the male species I have but one table manner rule that I adamantly enforce. Yep, NO FARTING at the table!

Old 12-24-2010, 01:23 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,095,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
My SO has a SIL just like that.... Her brother and the wife and kids show up and they kids are friggin heathens.... They won't eat what Mrs.Chow's mother puts out, they instead gotta go and get mcdonalds for the kids. The daughter is around 17 and is the most conceited spoiled a hole you'd ever want to meet. She's really pretty and knows it and thinks the whole world is there to serve her.

The son is a little whiny brat around 13 but acts like he's 6. I swear, if I had pulled that kind of crap that these kids pull, I still be knocked out from the backhand my mom would have dealt.I don't know what happenend to my peers generation and kid raising... I don't have kids myself, but it seems like all the peope that we know who are late 30's early 40't the kids are all spoiled douchebags....

Merry Christmas.
LMAO People have no respect for others anymore, and that's sad. What's worse is the parents condone their kids idiotic behavior. You correct someone's child that's being a pain in the keyster and all of a sudden, the parent says "You have no right telling me how to raise my child" In instances like that, I'd reply with "I wouldn't have to tell you how to raise your child if you did a better job of teaching your children respect for others. That's on you for doing a poor job of parenting."

Quote:
The daughter is around 17 and is the most conceited spoiled a hole you'd ever want to meet. She's really pretty and knows it and thinks the whole world is there to serve her
Fast forward 11 years and if she tried this crap with me or anyone else, she would be put in her place. Don't worry, people like this get brought down to earth real fast.

Quote:
I would still slap my grown kids into next week if they sassed me like that.
LMAO We've all (black children) have heard that saying from our parents when we got out of line. Brings back memories for me because although I was respectful, as a kid I would try my parents on occassion.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:23 PM

51,904 posts, read 52,306,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Living amongst the male species I have but one table manner rule that I adamantly enforce. Yep, NO FARTING at the table!
Well jeez..... you're no fun.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:25 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,619,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
LMAO good one. CPG should be glad about the kids texting and the like. Imagine one of the adults in the table farting like a van der graaf generator. And it's the young ones who make a big hoopla over poking fun at it.

I have done it in past family gatherings. During a huge gathering, a 40 something distant uncle butt sneezed once, and me and my brother continued making that noise aloud, to the point that the man left the scene. My Dad was such a strict one, but his teen sons were THUGS

Old 12-24-2010, 01:25 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,819,122 times
So sorry that what sounds like a lovely festive get-together will be marred by a couple of rude guests for a few hours. I'm not sure why it's so hard for the younger set to show interest and stay off their Ipods, cell phones etc. for a short time and for the older generation to withhold their critique while they are guests at someone's home. I've observed exactly this over the years.

Raised by wolves I'd guess.

I'd say the rudest things I've seen (at someone else's house) was a guest digging in cabinets/fridge for something else for their kids to eat, their not wanting what was being served. Another was a woman that had a running criticism for the (perfectly fine) meal, from start to finish about how her version of whatever was better and why. If it wasn't such appallingly bad behavior it would have been almost funny. My husband and I had a running joke about it afterwards until the woman disappeared from our joint friend's social functions.

A more common rudeness: Trashing the bathroom. Towels on the floor, water everywhere, big liquid soap spills, toilet unflushed. Bleah. I'd like to say that it's the kids that don't know any better but I've followed adults to find this being a fresh condition.

At my house it has been pretty much plain vanilla stuff, the bathroom mess, latecomers complaining that we didn't hold up the festivities for them, bored teenagers on cells, unattended children running amok, food and drink spills that there was no attempt to clean up, people snooping in rooms with closed doors, things like that. Tolerable but still rude.

Interesting thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships