U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:59 AM

13 posts, read 50,814 times

Advertisements

Nature dictates that there are 106 male births to every 100 female births. I guess that's "roughly" the same. That is unless you are one of those 6 men that can't find a wife or girlfriend.
The other factor that isn't getting mentioned is that men marry women an average of 5 years younger than they are, or women marry men an average of 5 years older.
There are actually 160 available single men to 100 single women in the "young" 18 to 35 dating pool. In addition to birth patterns that produce more men there are so many more women going out with men in older age groups the young 20 something year old scene ends up being dominated by unattached single males.
The other side of the coin is that women live longer than men and since many men in older age groups are going out with younger women, older women experience a shortage of men in their age category. Some might suggest that young men should pursue older women. That's fine for some guys but personally I prefer to be with women my age or a little younger which means I'm climbing over the backs of 30 or 40 guys for the same girl. That might seem like an exaggeration but if you lived in the town I live in you'd know it's true.
At least this thread is recognizing sex ratios combined with age demographics, typically talk shows, women's magazines, etc... lump all women in the same category and claim some horrible shortage of men. It's utter crap of course, at least for younger women. Older and younger women are two separate issues. Young women rule the dating scene and pick and choose who they want to be with. Then it flip flops in older age groups and men are more in the position to pick and choose. It's not fair but who ever said life is fair.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:18 PM

331 posts, read 716,666 times
But the OP is from DC...which supposedly has tons of single women. Yet more often then not you go to the bars/clubs and they look like this....
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs023.snc6/165344_487476041380_44908071380_6043143_3618662_n. jpg (broken link)

Old 05-08-2011, 09:28 PM

4,837 posts, read 7,596,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Strangely enough, there are supposedly far more single women in DC than men.
What is not stated is that nearly every political operative and lobbyist, married or not, has several tied up in some sort of liaison.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,222,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
But the OP is from DC...which supposedly has tons of single women. Yet more often then not you go to the bars/clubs and they look like this....
The ratio of men to women isn't all that matters. DC may have more women, but then you need to ask what their standards are. DC is one of those cities where people are very Type-A. Maybe one explanation for why so many women there are single is because they're focused on their careers. Or maybe most of the men they meet are career-driven workaholics that they want nothing to do with.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:28 AM

5,216 posts, read 7,922,720 times
I wonder if the map site posted on the first page of this thread accounts not only for single males and females, but for sexual orientation? The ratios may be closer to parity if that's accounted for. (Edit: about 2-4% of males identify as homosexual, and 1-2% of women. Bisexual is between 1% and 3% of males, and 2% to 5% of females. http://www.iub.edu/~kinsey/resources/FAQ.html )

In the upper age ranges (> 40), it would seem that there are more women than men almost everywhere, which - if I were looking! - would be a good thing for me. Or maybe I could just find another woman to move in with us ...

Last edited by TaoistDude; 05-09-2011 at 08:37 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 08:32 AM

21,461 posts, read 22,692,102 times
Quote:
Why is that surprising? Women tend to not go out to clubs trolling for men in the same way men do.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:32 AM

13 posts, read 50,814 times
Default Picture worth a thousand words

Quote:
Looks like the single bars in my city (Portland OR), 3 or 4 women surrounded by a sea of swinging d**ks. Lots of the guys end up in strip clubs forking over dollar bills topped off with a cold shower when they get home. Great picture, thanks for posting it.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:06 AM

331 posts, read 716,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmon7 View Post
Looks like the single bars in my city (Portland OR), 3 or 4 women surrounded by a sea of swinging d**ks. Lots of the guys end up in strip clubs forking over dollar bills topped off with a cold shower when they get home. Great picture, thanks for posting it.
No problem. This is the nightmare most single men in America face every weekend.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:06 AM

48,880 posts, read 39,370,650 times
Quote:
No problem. This is the nightmare most single men in America face every weekend.
Hah, this reminds me of fishing around here. You can go to the local lake that is packed with guys all the time and is entirely fished out.....OR....I go to a park up north, walk 3/4 mile on a trail and fish a secluded section of river where I catch fish every single time I go.

Guys and gals of different ages if frustrated with their dating should seriously take a step back and consider WHERE and HOW they are looking.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:20 AM

42,837 posts, read 77,102,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hah, this reminds me of fishing around here. You can go to the local lake that is packed with guys all the time and is entirely fished out.....OR....I go to a park up north, walk 3/4 mile on a trail and fish a secluded section of river where I catch fish every single time I go.

Guys and gals of different ages if frustrated with their dating should seriously take a step back and consider WHERE and HOW they are looking.
Whadya think of this lil' creek, MG?

Future Events (http://www.tucsoncorvetteclub.com/Future_Events.html - broken link)

Do you think spectators without good excuses would be welcome...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or