Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:46 PM

47 posts, read 99,678 times

Advertisements

I am a black woman who is interested in and open to dating outside my race in the DC area. However, I am never approached by men that aren't black. How can I come off as a little more approachable to non-black men?

All of my boyfriends have been black, but I have yet to meet a black man in this area worth my time and I am expanding my options. I do not need a lecture about that, fyi. I also do not spend all of my time in places or participate in activities that only cater to black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 03:03 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times
Do things that mostly White people do; go camping, go hiking, go kayaking, go jogging in the Park and strolling around Georgetown and Chevy Chase. You'll appear different from many other Black women in the district who aren't as adventurous, and white men can relate easier to Black women who enjoy the activities that they're interested in continuing with a partner. Wine-tasting events, charities, with all of these you're bound to attract a fine non-Black man.

Though I am curious, would you be interested in a Black man who had all of his business together and wanted to pursue a relationship with you? Or are you completely x-ing any Blacks from the pool of potentials?

Old 12-26-2010, 03:08 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
People who define themselves as a race before seeing themselves as a human without consideration of any racial category do not date people different from them-self.

Stop defining yourself as a race, don't specifically search for a mate based on a category such as "race".

It will only make you attractive to people who have a fetish for "race" dating.

Search for someone who defines themself as a person and not a "racial" category.

What makes people different is not the "race" they identify with or the skin they're wrapped up in.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:13 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
OK, I got the SBF and the IR but what's the DMV? In my neck of the woods it's the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:14 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
OK, I got the SBF and the IR but what's the DMV? In my neck of the woods it's the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Delaware, Maryland, Virginia.

She's in/or around Washington DC.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:18 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Oh, thanks! I'll try to remember that for future reference.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:30 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,483 times
I am a white female married to a black male and dated many black males over the years. From my experience, it is often difficult to know if someone of a different race is open to interracial dating. I always made it a point to strike up conversation with a man I thought was a potential date, just to open the door and let them know I was interested...

Good luck!

Old 12-26-2010, 07:28 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,119 times
Choose your favorite and why should you care are black or white?

Old 12-26-2010, 07:37 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydlite View Post
I am a black woman who is interested in and open to dating outside my race in the DC area. However, I am never approached by men that aren't black. How can I come off as a little more approachable to non-black men?

All of my boyfriends have been black, but I have yet to meet a black man in this area worth my time and I am expanding my options. I do not need a lecture about that, fyi. I also do not spend all of my time in places or participate in activities that only cater to black people.
It may be your dress or how you look? I remember once when I was in pre-calc when I caught this asian guy's eye. Usually we sat next to each other without saying a word. But, one day I was just feeling extra chipper and flashed him a smile as I was passing the homework back towards him. He kept crushing on me the entire semester after that, lol. Simple acts of kindness and femininity (sp?) will help you catch any man's eye. Wear makeup so that it looks like you aren't wearing any at all (like neutral colors with maybe a splash of pink or berry red on the lips). All the men look at me and want to chat when I do this. Also, keep hair nice, but not too wild. Very made up hair tends to scare men off in my experience. :S

With any man of any race, a woman with a good taste in fashion and with high manners is the best. I never go around the store with pajamas like other people do, for example.

*edit* I am black too if that helps any.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:20 PM

47 posts, read 99,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Do things that mostly White people do; go camping, go hiking, go kayaking, go jogging in the Park and strolling around Georgetown and Chevy Chase. You'll appear different from many other Black women in the district who aren't as adventurous, and white men can relate easier to Black women who enjoy the activities that they're interested in continuing with a partner. Wine-tasting events, charities, with all of these you're bound to attract a fine non-Black man.

Though I am curious, would you be interested in a Black man who had all of his business together and wanted to pursue a relationship with you? Or are you completely x-ing any Blacks from the pool of potentials?
Yes, I do some of these things with the exception of kayaking. I like shopping in Georgetown and Friendship Heights and I give back to several charities.

I would definitely be interested in a black man that had his business together, wanted to pursue things with me and that I am attracted to. That is key. I have met some that fit those characterisitics, only to find out they were players or were not focused.

My makeup is simple since my skin is pretty nice. I receive compliments on it occasionally. I usually step out with mascara and lipgloss, but I am trying to experiment with more color. My clothing is sometimes trendy, but I cover my assets (no pun intended) because I am conservative about my dress as well. I go out alone and even while alone, I don't get approached often by non-black guys. I thought it was easier to approach a woman who is by herself. By going out, I mean, to local museums, out to eat (nice establishments only), events, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships