Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:45 PM

697 posts, read 1,277,630 times

Advertisements

blondes huh??? naaa that would be way to easy -- never mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 02:52 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,114,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I've never heard a woman "haze" a man for lacking such skills. That said, I personally find it to be an extremely appealing ability.
My mom does that. She married two men that are not handy, or at least have no interest in being handy, and then complains about it. She's a pain in the as$. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
"salutes' Red Green

I have to wonder how many women now-a-days can make bread from scratch or knows how to sew? or put up the treasures of the garden( i do) any honest women out there want to tell the truth?
Hmmm, I have never made bread, but I know how to read, so I could do it. But, I'm Italian through and through and I can cook. I can make pasta, gnocchi (potato or ricotta), ravioli, etc from scratch. Next time I see my grandma she's going to show me the old fashion way of doing it (no appliances) lol. Further, I can sew, crochet, make jewelry, (I'm a crafter) and I'll be learning to garden beyond the pot this coming spring since I finally have some land.

I don't think there is any reason for anyone (men or women) not to be handy outside time constraints if they own a home. The lawn mower will break, the dryer, the dishwasher, the plumbing, fixtures, etc.

With that said, in some instances folk have no choice. For example, I can't do my own electric/wiring. My home owners policy requires a licensed electrician to do all work or I won't be covered if a fire results from the work. I do shadow my electrician when he's here to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It really depends on what is wrong with the dryer..... Sometimes it really is cheaper and easier to just buy something new.

Especially with electronics. We just had someone in our family tell us about their TV took a dumpski and the cost of repairing it was just about as cheap as getting a whole new unit.

I agree about electronics. When I had a desktop it was easy to repair/replace parts. Laptops provide more challenges. The old man just pm'd me about the dryer and agrees that it's probably a belt. Now, I just need to shovel my way out of this blizzard to go to the store.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:56 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,754,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Hooking up a DVD / Blu-Ray player...not a problem for me, lol

Fixing a car...sorry, no idea...that's what the family car mechanic, is for!
Yes I agree. I don't think its right for any woman to expect her man to be able to do everything. Handyman work isn't much to ask for in a man but fixing a car is if he's not a mechanic and if you don't live together. Truthfully I prefer hiring a handyman because I know he will do more than one small job in one day

If hubby is not willing to help out with little things to do around the house then he can cook his own food and wash his own laundry :P

Old 12-27-2010, 03:04 PM

697 posts, read 1,277,630 times
kind of funny you were the only woman to asnwer my ? honestly thank you

Old 12-27-2010, 04:21 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,114,058 times
I don't know if this is a matter of handiness, but my dh just shoveled both driveways. One of them is super big. We can easily fit 10 cars in our driveways. That's just awesome. One day we'll buy a snow blower!

Old 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM

17,113 posts, read 56,733,078 times
Quote:
What's the deal with the tendency of some (not all), of the female gender, including female family members, to "expect" their men to also automatically be "handymen"? While some guys might genuinely enjoy doing these things, I personally can't stand most of it, and would just as soon "hire out", to have the work done by paying someone to do it.

Have any other guys, had their "manhood" called into question, if they weren't super-eager and enthusiastic, to do these kinds of "handyman" jobs, that could always be contracted out to a professional third party, and in many cases, even rather inexpensively?
To answer your question straight up, probably their dad was handy. Or brother(s). Or possibly an ex.

Anyway, at a critical age, they got the idea "imprinted" that man = handyman.

Since I'm pretty handy, I personally find this charming.

When I was single, my most preferred way to meet a gal is one having car problems. Of course the odds of me coming across a gal who is truly compatible with me who is having car problems is not that high, but it was a reliable good first impression.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,263,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
"salutes' Red Green

I have to wonder how many women now-a-days can make bread from scratch or knows how to sew? or put up the treasures of the garden( i do) any honest women out there want to tell the truth?
*Raises hand*

Both of which are things my boyfriend's mom has no aptitude for, whatsoever. It's not a generational thing, it's a matter of having bothered to learn.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:25 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,062,141 times
Quote:
What's the deal with the tendency of some (not all), of the female gender, including female family members, to "expect" their men to also automatically be "handymen"? While some guys might genuinely enjoy doing these things, I personally can't stand most of it, and would just as soon "hire out", to have the work done by paying someone to do it.

Have any other guys, had their "manhood" called into question, if they weren't super-eager and enthusiastic, to do these kinds of "handyman" jobs, that could always be contracted out to a professional third party, and in many cases, even rather inexpensively?
Why do men expect their women to cook and clean up after them? And don't say they don't...I've seen it way too much in almost every generation of guy I've come across.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,263,329 times
Not in my house. We clean up after ourselves and together. But nobody's sitting eating bon bons while the other cleans up their stuff. We also both cook, generally together.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:45 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,732,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
To answer your question straight up, probably their dad was handy. Or brother(s). Or possibly an ex.

Anyway, at a critical age, they got the idea "imprinted" that man = handyman.

Since I'm pretty handy, I personally find this charming.

When I was single, my most preferred way to meet a gal is one having car problems. Of course the odds of me coming across a gal who is truly compatible with me who is having car problems is not that high, but it was a reliable good first impression.
Thanks for the fascinating info, on why exactly it is, the "way it is"

Interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships