Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:59 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,097,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Welcome to my son's world. Born December 26th. You ever try to have a birthday party on December 26th? You try to overcompensate. You end up with little sister asking why he gets twice as much. You try to move the actual celebrating to a further date, but the kid wants to have it on HIS birthdate, but can't get anybody enthused.
awww...ya that has to be tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,440,837 times
My husband and I never gave gifts until we had kids. Then we started because the kids don't like if we don't get presents. We'll, probably, go back to not giving presents once the kids move out. It's always the same. I buy him clothes and he goes to the jewelry store on Christmas eve and picks something out, lol.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:14 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,440,837 times
Quote:
Welcome to my son's world. Born December 26th. You ever try to have a birthday party on December 26th? You try to overcompensate. You end up with little sister asking why he gets twice as much. You try to move the actual celebrating to a further date, but the kid wants to have it on HIS birthdate, but can't get anybody enthused.
I hear you. My daughter's birthday is Christmas eve and my neice's is Christmas day. My neice celebrates her half birthday. With my daughter, we do a birthday breakfast (she was born in the morning so it fits) but none of her friends attend. No one will on Christmas eve. If she wants a party, it has to be early or late.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:36 AM

8,893 posts, read 20,292,480 times
Ok, first of all, we are in our early 60's with no kids or grandkids, but do buy for some family members (their kids). Wife was out of work for almost 4 months and I'm still unemployed, so money was somewhat tight, but we still managed to get a few gifts for each other. The gifts we got were bought on Black Friday or were on a Christmas Sale. We decided, before Christmas, that there wasn't much we wanted/needed anymore. We didn't want to spend out too much money, so that is where Black Friday and Christmas Sales came in really handy.
When I was single (no girlfriend), I would buy a few gifts for myself. It was pretty fun.......I got exactly what I wanted!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:45 AM

37,478 posts, read 45,740,039 times
Quote:
My son's birthday is Dec 24th. He loves it, and always has. He actually had about 15 friends over that day...in and out, just dropping by to hang out and celebrate his 18th birthday with him. We've always taken great pains to ensure that his birthday doesn't get lost in the holidays, and it's always worked. Maybe our family is different, but there has always been a big celebration on his birthday. I think he gets MORE gifts because of it. I think when he is older however, it will be different.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:55 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,169,926 times
We didn't have funds for presents this year. My wife and I both know that. If I'd have spent money on a gift for her she wouldn't have appreciated it any more than I would have if she'd have spent money on a gift for me. We'll make up for it when we're back on our feet.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,056,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
I did'nt get any and did'nt care. There is no extra money here this year. I am glad that it is over and all this craziness about spending money on presents is over.Everyone today is spoiled rotten. It's all about getting stuff.
It doesn't have to be about spending money on presents.

When my husband and I were first together, we really had no extra money. I know, I managed the budget and $1 or $2 a week is all that was left over for "fun". So we agreed no purchased gifts. He made me a CD of MY favorite music. I made him a collage of pictures, matted and framed it (with an old frame I painted). It really was the thought that counted. We have lots of those moments even now that we can afford gifts - the ones from the heart are the most treasured.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:13 AM

88,224 posts, read 84,144,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, first of all, we are in our early 60's with no kids or grandkids, but do buy for some family members (their kids). Wife was out of work for almost 4 months and I'm still unemployed, so money was somewhat tight, but we still managed to get a few gifts for each other. The gifts we got were bought on Black Friday or were on a Christmas Sale. We decided, before Christmas, that there wasn't much we wanted/needed anymore. We didn't want to spend out too much money, so that is where Black Friday and Christmas Sales came in really handy.
When I was single (no girlfriend), I would buy a few gifts for myself. It was pretty fun.......I got exactly what I wanted!
I did that this year. I am long divorced and have one kid, now 19. She bought me a few things, but I went out yesterday morning and bought myself a digital camera, since Best Buy was having good sales. I've never had one. It was a Christmas present to myself.

I'm in the northeast where we got whacked with a blizzard, so it's fun to take pictures of the snow today!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:18 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,075,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My son's birthday is Dec 24th. He loves it, and always has. He actually had about 15 friends over that day...in and out, just dropping by to hang out and celebrate his 18th birthday with him. We've always taken great pains to ensure that his birthday doesn't get lost in the holidays, and it's always worked. Maybe our family is different, but there has always been a big celebration on his birthday. I think he gets MORE gifts because of it. I think when he is older however, it will be different.
I saw that episode of 90210!! Or was it Gilmore Girls? Oh wait, you are saying it's your real life?

Do you have any Idea how much this screams "I want you all to believe my life is perfect,it's because YOU ALL DON'T DO AS MUCH AS I DO..NHAANHAA perfect, perfect..I said perfect dammit and you didn't nod! You better believe me or i'll have you killed!"

You're coming into a thread where people are discussing not getting gifts and basically spitting on us, thanks.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,047,758 times
Well, since we do not celebrate Xmas, it was only natural that we would not give gifts. Normally, during the year if someone needs something (or wants something), we just get it. Giving gifts because you are "supposed to" never made any sense to me.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships