Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:37 AM

37,478 posts, read 45,733,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
I saw that episode of 90210!! Or was it Gilmore Girls? Oh wait, you are saying it's your real life?

Do you have any Idea how much this screams "I want you all to believe my life is perfect,it's because YOU ALL DON'T DO AS MUCH AS I DO..NHAANHAA perfect, perfect..I said perfect dammit and you didn't nod! You better believe me or i'll have you killed!"

You're coming into a thread where people are discussing not getting gifts and basically spitting on us, thanks.
WTF?? I responded to YOUR post about your son's hating having his birthday during the holidays. Most people do assume that kids hate that...all I was saying is that it doesn't HAVE TO BE. I don't do any more than anyone else....I simply celebrate my son's birthday. You don't want to? Fine. Jeeez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:48 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,074,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
WTF?? I responded to YOUR post about your son's hating having his birthday during the holidays. Most people do assume that kids hate that...all I was saying is that it doesn't HAVE TO BE. I don't do any more than anyone else....I simply celebrate my son's birthday. You don't want to? Fine. Jeeez.
Ohh I understand you don't get it..

It's like you read about somebodies family burning to death in a car..and post: That's never happened to me, I guess I and my family take better precautions. I'm a great driver..I just drove the kids from Canada to Disney Land. As a matter of fact, the cops pulled me over to compliment me!

It's OK..you're not the only one who sits on here all day long talking up your mary poppins existance. Not even thinking you might be adding salt to wounds.

You stated... I guess we're different..
Always worked..taken great pains....IMPLYING WE DON'T!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,254,922 times
Getting back on track. . .

OP: Most of us still like the thrill of opening a gift. There's that little surprise in pretty wrapping that's hard to not appreciate. That's human nature, and I see nothing wrong with feeling a little let-down for missing out on it.

We like to buy a gift for the elder next door because his own daughter, who lives about 40 miles away, usually doesn't bother to. She doesn't even visit him because she "doesn't like to drive". Chaps our asses Big Time.

My husband and I have not caught up yet to the increasing group that bypasses gifts. We're just like kids ~ we LIKE opening gifts. It's fun. Now birthdays . . . I don't give a hoot about. I'd rather just go to dinner and call it good.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:01 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,074,956 times
Now contact one of your hall moniter girlfriends and say wahhhh wahhh optiflex was mean to me!

Or say I showed this to ALL MY 85 online FRIENDS and they thought my post should get some kind of online Emmy.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:10 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,647,227 times
I am at the point in life where the celebration of Christmas doesn't need gifts for fulfillment. I am okay with not getting any gifts. Time with family and friends is most important.

In fact this has been an great Christmas.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:38 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,054,901 times
Quote:
Welcome to my son's world. Born December 26th. You ever try to have a birthday party on December 26th? You try to overcompensate. You end up with little sister asking why he gets twice as much. You try to move the actual celebrating to a further date, but the kid wants to have it on HIS birthdate, but can't get anybody enthused.
Quote:
I saw that episode of 90210!! Or was it Gilmore Girls? Oh wait, you are saying it's your real life?

Do you have any Idea how much this screams "I want you all to believe my life is perfect,it's because YOU ALL DON'T DO AS MUCH AS I DO..NHAANHAA perfect, perfect..I said perfect dammit and you didn't nod! You better believe me or i'll have you killed!"

You're coming into a thread where people are discussing not getting gifts and basically spitting on us, thanks.

Such hostility and nastiness.

Life really doesn't have to be like this. I'm sorry your son is having a difficult time of celebrating his birthday.

It has been said that misery loves company. Opti, I am sorry your life is so miserable. However, the opposite is also true - happiness loves company and the more the merrier. I am sorry you read Chessie's post as a put down; I believe it was meant as an example of how it can work otherwise.

Some of us posted how we opted for non-monetary gifts, giving of ourselves or our time. Does that also spit on those who don't give/receive gifts? or is it an attempt to show how one can circumvent the problems one is having? In these times where so many are unemployed and barely paying the bills, reading how others have or are dealing with less-than-optimal situations could be helpful.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:50 AM

48,405 posts, read 34,546,688 times
I did, but it wasn't necessary. My DH and I stopped exchanging gifts on Christmas early on. I didn't need a gift to show that he loved me, and it just added one more chore during the holidays that we didn't need.

I just think that gift giving should be discussed before the holidays, whether you are exchanging gifts or not, and some sort of dollar range.

But I'm not a big holiday/gift person. They always come across like... retail emotional blackmail... Enforced gift giving. Meh.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Ohh I understand you don't get it..

It's like you read about somebodies family burning to death in a car..and post: That's never happened to me, I guess I and my family take better precautions. I'm a great driver..I just drove the kids from Canada to Disney Land. As a matter of fact, the cops pulled me over to compliment me!

It's OK..you're not the only one who sits on here all day long talking up your mary poppins existance. Not even thinking you might be adding salt to wounds.

You stated... I guess we're different..
Always worked..taken great pains....IMPLYING WE DON'T!
Nope. You took it that way. I'm not implying a thing. I'm simply stating that our family (not ME, but my son's grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins) has always wanted to make sure his birthday was noted and not lost. And he has a LOT of relatives - so to him, it's never just the holidays...it's the "big event". Never tried to imply we do something "better"; I just wanted to let you know that holiday birthdays don't always SUCK! Having a "birthday open house" for his friends to drop by really didn't cost me a thing. I already had a ton of food made, all I did was make a birthday cake. Wow....

Last edited by ChessieMom; 12-27-2010 at 12:11 PM..

Old 12-27-2010, 12:05 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,442,435 times
Quote:
Now contact one of your hall moniter girlfriends and say wahhhh wahhh optiflex was mean to me!

Or say I showed this to ALL MY 85 online FRIENDS and they thought my post should get some kind of online Emmy.
I think your making WAY too much out of nothing. Ms. Chessie meant no harm and over the years has NEVER shown anything but kindness to people on this forum who were down on thier luck. It was simply a story of how frustrating it is to have a childs birthday so near to Christmas. I think you should apologize. As for me--Chessie, you look fantastic for having an 18 year old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:

I think someone is dipping into the spiked eggnog a little too much today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships