Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:43 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,576,559 times

Advertisements

Granted money is tight this year and we talked about paring down the gifts this year. Just curious if anyone else out there didn't get anything from their spouse/so for Christmas. My husband did say we would go out to dinner somewhere nice sometime soon, but it was still a little hard to have nothing under the tree....harder than I expected....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 11:55 PM

1,006 posts, read 730,735 times
I didn't but thats because I have an issue accepting things from people. I grew up the youngest of 4 boys and everyone assumes I'm spoiled, despite having a job since the age of 14. If I want something I buy it. Can't really stand when people buy stuff for me, and its cost me a few good women. Family and friends now know to not even bother buying me anything. I still shop for those I feel necessary though

Old 12-27-2010, 12:03 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,768,328 times
Got something this year - but my gifts last year almost ended my marriage - seriously. I can still remember how ticked off I was.

The thing is I spent a great deal of time getting great gifts and got - a bluetooth; car seat covers and other miscellaneous nonsense. Add in a marriage where one travels and is home only every other weekend; a cross country move and bad attitudes by both spouses and it was a recipe for disaster. Im still in counseling (granted it only made me address some other issues - but it was the catalyst).

Old 12-27-2010, 12:41 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,433,006 times
No gift does not matter, as long as had a wonderful Christmas just be OK.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:42 AM

426 posts, read 1,279,695 times
I did'nt get any and did'nt care. There is no extra money here this year. I am glad that it is over and all this craziness about spending money on presents is over.Everyone today is spoiled rotten. It's all about getting stuff.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:09 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,768,328 times
I care about getting a gift. It sounds cliched - but it really is about the thought, not the gift.

I work hard all year in many ways and make a great deal of effort to make the holidays enjoyable. Granted we make a lot of money, but it is not the gift that is significant - its the effort and the recognition - a gift for $10 or even $5 (your favorite candy bar even) that shows that you were considered means a lot more than something that still leaves you pondering who the gift was meant for ('cause it wasn't you).

Years ago as a couple we werent big into gift giving - but that gets old and wears after a while. Birthdays, anniversaries and Christmas are now a way to say - thank you.

So now I am proud to say - yes - you better pony up something on special occasions. Perhaps others are more altruistic - not me!

Old 12-27-2010, 06:15 AM

515 posts, read 1,713,213 times
I can understand if money is tight but if you can afford to go out to dinner I think something little could have been given jmo.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:22 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,296,435 times
I don't have a SO, but I have someone that is trying to be that. He gave me gifts....I do think it is the thought that counts. It shouldn't matter how much money someone spends, but if they took the time to find something special for you. Also, I think guys need to know how to give a gift that is thoughtful but not expensive. For example, find an old photo of the two of you...wrap it up with a note that says something about what attracted you to her and how she still has it. That would be free. A poem...a CD you made of her favorite songs...things like that cost nothing or very little, and they show you thought of her. You also could have fixed Christmas breakfast for her....or given her a wrapped IOU of things you planned to do for her that night...there are a lot of ways to be thoughtful without money.

Last edited by Georgianbelle; 12-27-2010 at 07:10 AM..

Old 12-27-2010, 07:08 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,092,464 times
I have had a couple of Christmas' like this. Hubby and i struggled and spent the little money we had on our child. I was cool with it until Christmas morning. I faked being okay with it and so did my husband but we both knew it sucked. I think what was worse though is going to the family parties and people asking us what we got each other. We became professional liars. I would say ohh..just a few things. I mean if we had said nothing it would have sparked a abrade of questions. One year we decided to make fun of being broke and decided we would each get other a gag joke. BAD IDEA. It was better getting nothing.

Last edited by fallingwater; 12-27-2010 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 12-27-2010, 07:32 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,073,959 times
Welcome to my son's world. Born December 26th. You ever try to have a birthday party on December 26th? You try to overcompensate. You end up with little sister asking why he gets twice as much. You try to move the actual celebrating to a further date, but the kid wants to have it on HIS birthdate, but can't get anybody enthused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships