U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-29-2010, 12:11 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,118,901 times

Advertisements

Give dad the information you have on her and let him do whatever he wants. You have your whole life ahead of you and he has a short time, just let him live how he wants and stop grumbling about spare rooms.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 01:56 PM

22,126 posts, read 16,721,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
There is an old saying : " He can leave his money with whomever he wants " And it's true.

Your dad could leave her everything. He could leave it to the Animal Shelter and it would be what he wants.....

If he really likes this girl, she fills his lonely heart, then he is entitled to leave her everything and the kitchen sink. You cannot protest what he does with his money.

Now if she is a con, then run her name, pay a PI to check out her background and EVEN THEN your dad could be totally smitten with her and give her everything she wants.
My husband's great uncle was a multi millionaire. His kids were shocked when he died and left everything except the house (which they fought over) to charity.

I have no idea why kids worry about money that isn't even theirs. It belongs to the person who earned it. They can do what they want with it.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:00 PM

47,586 posts, read 35,357,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Then do two things.

1) call the police
2) get your dad into a dating service. Obviously, he wants a companion. Help him find one.

Seriously, you seem to have an issue with your dad having a companion and you need to get over that. It's his life. Let him live it his way. It's not your place to tell him how to live it. You can get rid of this woman by having her arrested but the next one may not be so easy.

I hope your dad is happy with your decision.
I doubt it's that they don't want their dad to have a companion - just not a Bernie Madoff in hot pants is what they don't want for him.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:44 PM

2,168 posts, read 2,596,985 times
Sounds like I hit a nerve with some of you. You don't know me or anyone else I was writing about. You just got the parts I let you see. The lady is not available anymore so the issue is over.

He has anther lady friend, with her own place and without problems. So he's not without female companionship. Maybe he's a bit of a player...lol.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:09 PM

31 posts, read 25,018 times
Such suspicious minds you all have... Even if this lady does move in to live rent free, she's going to be company for him and there'll be someone else in the house in case of something happening. How much are you prepared to put on piece of mind?

It's quite obvious by your description, that your father is lonely and having his family around isn't filling the void. All you and your family can do is to respect his decision and to let him live what's left of his life the way he wants.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:13 PM

44,832 posts, read 56,154,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Sounds like I hit a nerve with some of you. You don't know me or anyone else I was writing about. You just got the parts I let you see. The lady is not available anymore so the issue is over.

He has anther lady friend, with her own place and without problems. So he's not without female companionship. Maybe he's a bit of a player...lol.
Guessing she's "not available" because she's gone to jail for that warrant?

Glad to know he's got some companionship in his last days, you should be glad for that too

Old 12-29-2010, 07:26 PM

2,168 posts, read 2,596,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDDRAGONLADY View Post

It's quite obvious by your description, that your father is lonely and having his family around isn't filling the void. All you and your family can do is to respect his decision and to let him live what's left of his life the way he wants.
Why is it obvious?

The situation has been resolved, but now I'm curious about why people 60+ yrs are considered to be lonely. If I had the same circumstances I'd be pretty happy. He's got a lot of friends, hobbies, house projects, travel, at least one lady to keep him company. Damn, that sounds like the good life. Is it really so sad and lonely? A large number of American adults are unmarried and have less than this. Just wondering why seniors with so much are look at as lonely and 20s, 30s, 40s yrs olds aren't. Does wanting a girlfriend mean you're lonely?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:41 PM

31 posts, read 25,018 times
I would suppose that there are alot of lonely people out there of all ages not just the over 50's. As for the wanting a girlfriend part, its more a requiring someone to know you for you, but as I don't really undestand the wanting a partner thing, that's not something I can answer.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 PM

7,373 posts, read 7,279,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post

Wow, so it was a horribly dire situation when you thought he was getting played. But now that you suspect HE is the one doing the playing, it's funny enough for an LOL.

I hope you get whatever money you think should should have coming when your father passes. It's obvious now that this is the main motivation behind this thread. It certainly isn't about protecting people from those who are users, is it? No need to answer my question...

Old 12-29-2010, 08:09 PM

22,126 posts, read 16,721,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I doubt it's that they don't want their dad to have a companion - just not a Bernie Madoff in hot pants is what they don't want for him.
That's not what was described. This woman was willing to live with their dad and that's a lot. Free rent would have been a good trade for someone who wanted to live with my dad.

People think senior citizens aren't lonely because they get visitors but they're wrong. Visitors cannot replace having a day in and day out companion. I'm surprised that Felix can't see that. Having company is very different from being home with your companion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships