Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 02:02 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times

Advertisements

Well, as a white woman in 2010 - in moments of hilarity, my girlfriends and I do say to one another,"You GO, Girl!"

But we don't say it every other sentence. We don't lean on it as a catch phrase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 02:07 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the women where I work watch the same television shows you watch and they constantly use these terms.

The most annoying term ever I think is when someone makes a written request and ends it with "Thank you in advance".
It is rude to thank someone in advance. The assumption is that you will be doing this. Someone can ask for something but that does not mean it will happen. Thanking in advance is a hope at best that the desired outcome happens. What if you can't make it happen? Do you send a responce; "Your welcome but I am not able to help you at this time."

Old 12-29-2010, 03:45 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Maybe I've been watching too much TV lately but I seem to be getting hit with a couple of phrases that are driving me up the wall! I think they're completely stupid and have no idea how they came into vogue.

Does any woman, other than talk show hosts, ever call their friends "Girlfriend"? If I hear one more goofus calling out "Hey Girlfriend", I'm going to scream.

Also, "You Go Girl". Everytime I hear that, I want to barf.

How come guys don't use such cutesy terms. Imagine a burly truckdriver booming out on his CB, "Hey Boyfriend, what's up?"

Are there any guys who salute a pal with "You Go Guy" after he landed a big promotion?

Is anyone brave enough to admit they actually say this crap?
Are you watching Springer circa 1990s?

Old 12-29-2010, 03:50 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Those phrases are usually uttered by black women back in 1995. LOL at a man saying to another guy "You Go Boy" That....will get your man card revoked permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
fixed your post.

The OP is in a time warp, probably heard "you go girl" on Jerry Springer or Maury.
Nope. I still hear black women saying that all the time in the Boston area.

And I hear Oprah saying that all the time on her shows.

Last edited by miu; 12-29-2010 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Remembered that Oprah also says it.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:16 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
I say "Hey Girlfriend" pretty often...sometimes I even answer the phone like that depending on who it is

Maybe it's a Southern thing, I promise it sounds cute when I say it

Courtney

Old 12-29-2010, 04:21 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
The male version is 'dude', not boyfriend, although it can be used interchangeably with females. I think the chicks picked up the 'girlfriend' thing from the ****. I'm not sure which one started it.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:26 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times
The 'you go girl' phrase has always annoyed me.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:28 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,471 times
Quote:
Maybe I've been watching too much TV lately but I seem to be getting hit with a couple of phrases that are driving me up the wall! I think they're completely stupid and have no idea how they came into vogue.

Does any woman, other than talk show hosts, ever call their friends "Girlfriend"? If I hear one more goofus calling out "Hey Girlfriend", I'm going to scream.

How come guys don't use such cutesy terms. Imagine a burly truckdriver booming out on his CB, "Hey Boyfriend, what's up?"

Are there any guys who salute a pal with "You Go Guy" after he landed a big promotion?

Sorry it bothers you. I say those words all the time.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:16 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
I have been known to say phrases like off the hook/chain, get it, etc.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:19 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:

I don't say "hey girlfriend or you go girl". Almost never.

I do say, "hey, girl" or "what's up girl". So instead of girlfriend, I say "girl", although it's not a constant thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships