Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 01:28 PM

52,011 posts, read 52,457,444 times

Advertisements

After reading that "pleasant" thread from that other place, I'm sorta glad CD has mods......... they sure could use some over there.

The nastiness and vitriol was amazing.....

I feel like I need to take a shower after reading that thing.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:41 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,334,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Some thoughts from yesterday...

It was supposed to be a good day and it began that way. Our Gem & Mineral show started yesterday and after not having gone to it for a few years, I figured it's as good place as any to enjoy the sun, walk around, and look at stuff. I usually end up overwhelmed and dizzy and don't buy much, but this year when I'm not (and shouldn't be) really in the market for jewelry, I happened to like a few things and got them! Murphy's laws... Oh, well.

Then I decided to go and see Biutiful (btw, I was wondering why it was intentionally misspelled; the answer is IN the movie). It's very gritty and grim and yet, a great movie! The performance of Javier Bardem and the whole cast is outstanding! The cinematography is impressive! However... it depressed the hell out of me because it hit too close to home on one too many accounts... It's probably more appropriate for somebody with happier life who would look at it just as a movie. That got me into thinking about my original disdain for and ridicule of happy-end American movies and those who watch only them. Perhaps I should revise my stance... Perhaps they're smarter and taking better care of their mental health... Perhaps I should stop doing this to myself as it's pure masochism!

I also noticed something funny related to our topics here. Saw a pack of youngsters socializing in groups in front of the theater - 5 girls and 2 guys in their early 20's. The guys looked and acted just like our buddies here who hope to be "more than friends"!
I'm glad you found some jewelry you like. It's probably a good thing I stayed away from that show when I lived there - Jewelry and I are a deadly combination. A couple weeks ago I took a ring to be repaired at the jewelry shop where I bought it, in St. Thomas. Well $1,500 later I had two new rings in addition to my old ring being repaired for free. Still, I really like my new ring and the not quite matching ring I got for my Mom will make a nice 70th birthday present.

I had to look up that movie to see what it's about. Sounds depressing

I'm forcing myself to go to a party tonight. It's hard for me to motivate myself to go out at the end of the day, when I have to work the next morning but I promised a friend I would be there. I'm still planning to be home early; I'll just stay long enough to say hello to people, have a few snacks and go.

I bet those kids you saw in front of the theater weren't there to see Biutiful

Old 01-30-2011, 02:47 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,042,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
Still, I really like my new ring and the not quite matching ring I got for my Mom will make a nice 70th birthday present.
That's nice of you!

All these years I've had my fill of most stones, but there's always something unique to see, it seems.

Quote:
I had to look up that movie to see what it's about. Sounds depressing
It is. As it was said in some review, it won't be Barcelona's tourism promoters' fave, either.

Quote:
I'm forcing myself to go to a party tonight. It's hard for me to motivate myself to go out at the end of the day, when I have to work the next morning but I promised a friend I would be there. I'm still planning to be home early; I'll just stay long enough to say hello to people, have a few snacks and go.
I usually force myself to go to any party, as few as they are. To me not being able to drink freely is just not party-ish... Try to have some fun!

Quote:
I bet those kids you saw in front of the theater weren't there to see Biutiful
Hell, no! Still popcorn-crunching crowd, though, because it's not in the Loft...

Old 01-30-2011, 03:03 PM

OK, since Sifu didn't, I just answered my own question - he searched for "devil sonogram." Turns out there is one, even on 1st page.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:05 PM

Adding to the registry: we'd love that for VD next year!

http://twinpossible.com/wp-content/u...0/10/devil.jpg

Old 01-30-2011, 03:13 PM

52,011 posts, read 52,457,444 times
One time Mrs. Chow dressed up for Halloween as half angel and half devil. She had both a halo and horns.

Well, she got it part right.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
One time Mrs. Chow dressed up for Halloween as half angel and half devil. She had both a halo and horns.

Well, she got it part right.
LMAO! That's as diplomatic as it gets!

Old 01-30-2011, 03:40 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,069,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
WHOA DAMN. We just opened a letter from ODU...one of the colleges my son applied to. It's just the local one here - a decent 4-year university, (actually my alma mater), not terribly expensive considering what others charge, and it's certainly not his first choice, in fact it's probably last on his list. But it's his first acceptance letter (yay) AND....they've offered him a FULL RIDE. A full 4-year merit scholarship. WOW! Sorry to be bragging...but I am so proud right now I'm about to burst!!! Nice to know in case push comes to shove!
That is FABULOUS! Congrats to your son and to you for helping him get there. You BOTH did a good job.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:44 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,069,299 times
Default Weather

We just checked the weather where our house is located - and I'm so bummed that we cannot retire yet!

2 days ago, the temp was 70, it's 60 today, going down to a mild 34 and then back up by the end of the week.

I'm sitting here with my husband having shoveled a path for the kitty to go outside and do her business - I'm a shopper and I've been to the market only once each of the last 3 weeks even though this is my normal stocking up for the year time (because of sales) but the snow has kept me nearly housebound! I HATE IT!

I want to be south! Warm. Some place where I don't have 3 thermal blankets and a quilt on the bed wearing fleecy PJs and 2 pair of socks. I hate PJs. I have finally joined the ranks of "I HATE SNOW" people. I feel like I live in Buffalo!

Old 01-30-2011, 04:20 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,542,944 times
Chessie, huge congrats to your son, and to you! That is quite an accomplishment.

I got my tax refund Friday. This is the earliest I've ever filed. I'm not complaining... I could definitely use the money.

Drove 530 miles today, the last 50 in snow and freezing fog. Not fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.