U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-31-2010, 03:41 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,384,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
but I was seized with a massive brain-fart
I might've contributed to that... Sorry.

I delve into Eastern philosophies occasionally myself in recent years. I guess my mind is neither Eastern nor totally Western, and is susceptible to various influences in general, which is not unusual if you're unhappy and unsatisfied with your life. They definitely seem to be able to bring peace of mind, if accepted.

It looks like we show age on NYE...

Old 12-31-2010, 03:48 PM

12,071 posts, read 7,967,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Man I am such a wus.

I had planned to go to my BF's house and have a nice quiet New Year's eve. My son wanted to have some friends over here, but tonight he is supposed to be at his dad's, and so I had made my own plans. So I told him no, that tonight was not a good night, that he could plan something for tomorrow night if he wanted. I think he was going to come back over and have a party anyway..., he told his dad that I was going to be home (and I just told him I wasn't - he knew better. ) but his dad called me and verified my plans...so that was that. He said that our son was staying at his house. Period. Dang sneaky kids will try anything.

But I got a sad dejected call from my son saying that his dad said he could have a party but everyone had to stay out on the deck, and how all his friends were down and sad with no where to hang out on their last New Years of high school (they are all seniors). They like hanging out here, and often do.

I called my BF and asked what he thought, and he said that I might be giving up my nice quiet evening, but that I was gonna miss those kids next year when they are all off to school...and that maybe I should think about letting him have the party.

Aw heck. I caved.

Hon, wus is with two ss= wuss...

You ol softie,

Have Lots of FUN,
Drive Safely.

hahaha

Old 12-31-2010, 03:48 PM

3,261 posts, read 2,675,033 times
So how does one live in the moment? Doesn't every action or inaction in this moment, affect the people around us, who depend on us and all the following moments?

I would love to shake free of all the thinking and strategizing. I do think I overanalyze too much, yet how can someone practically apply this in life?

Old 12-31-2010, 03:53 PM

I just realized something happened to my eyes - probably during the transfusion of the 2nd unit of blood which was incompatible and it felt pretty close to the end. I just noticed when I blink with my left eye it makes projection on the monitor like a bright flashlight; when I blink with my right eye, I get about the same shape, but the area is gray. If I concentrate, I can see the same stuff if I blink against the shade on the window or at the wall. I haven't driven since then, but I don't think my vision is impaired otherwise...

I know steroids can cause cataracts, too, but I've no idea what cataracts feel like... Does anybody happen to know? It doesn't sound like the symptoms I just looked up.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Aw heck. I caved.
I think you did a good thing. Your son is generally a good and respectful kid, so he deserves a break once in a while.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I just realized something happened to my eyes - probably during the transfusion of the 2nd unit of blood which was incompatible and it felt pretty close to the end. I just noticed when I blink with my left eye it makes projection on the monitor like a bright flashlight; when I blink with my right eye, I get about the same shape, but the area is gray. If I concentrate, I can see the same stuff if I blink against the shade on the window or at the wall. I haven't driven since then, but I don't think my vision is impaired otherwise...

I know steroids can cause cataracts, too, but I've no idea what cataracts feel like... Does anybody happen to know? It doesn't sound like the symptoms I just looked up.

Sounds like eye floaters or flashes:
Floaters

Or maybe your eyes are sensitive to light right now?

Or if they come and go, maybe you're light-headed. I know I sometimes get little flashes if I stand up too quickly, which usually disappear after a little bit of time.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
Sounds like eye floaters or flashes:
Floaters
Lovely... Thank you, Robee. I'd never heard of anything like this.

Quote:
Or maybe your eyes are sensitive to light right now?
Well, other than the 2 mentioned guesses, there's no reason for this to just start happening out of the blue now...

Old 12-31-2010, 04:05 PM

12,071 posts, read 7,967,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've been thinking about Max'sMamma's post in the last chat about what to do with your life.

IDK, I've done all of the crap that we are "supposed" to do, went to college, got a decent job, been fairly sucessful at it, bought a home.

You know, the typical stuff right?

Does it fulfill me, no, not really. The day to day grind of going to work, deadlines, blah blah, just kind of wear you down. It's why you look at old people and kind of understand why a lot of them are so cranky.

The eternal question for most people "what to do with my life." Many many philosophers have spoken about it, I tend to agree with what a lot of what eastern philosophers say, as I'm sure sifuphil knows much more about it than me. I'm just starting to look into them. Much of Eastern philosophy just goes totally counter to Western ways of thinking.

Guys like Buddha, Laozi, Jesus, even modern day people like Chopra, Tolle and others. There seems to be some common elements amongst a lot of them.

Cause certain things are universal.

I've read that what you are meant to do, is what you're doing right this moment. That that is your purpose, what ever you are doing right now.

Hard to digest for most of us, especially in our culture.

What about what are purpose is in life is to become spiritual aware of ourselves, the be in the moment, as there isn't anything else that we have. The more we are present in our lives the more we become aware of the state of "beingness", which is what true enlightenment really is. In the state of being, in the moment, we at our best.

It is liken to a guy pitching a perfect pitch, he's in the moment, not "thinking" about anything other than what is right in front of him. Greatness comes out of these moments. Failure comes from to much thinking.

Again, hard concepts for Westerns as we're are too preoccupied with results and not the "journey" as they say.

So our purpose, be present minded.

It's all we have.

Perhaps Bro, you should have been a Forest Ranger. Live in peace, harmony, tranquility with Mother Nature, the forest critters, bask in the awe of the great beauty around you.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:10 PM

12,890 posts, read 11,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
So how does one live in the moment? Doesn't every action or inaction in this moment, affect the people around us, who depend on us and all the following moments?

I would love to shake free of all the thinking and strategizing. I do think I overanalyze too much, yet how can someone practically apply this in life?
Unfortunately, the way I have taught this "Way" to students over the years is perhaps overly complex for such a simple philosophy. But I see that as the fault of the deeply-ingrained Western mores.

There are a few different ways to live in the moment. One is to make the conscious decision to forget the past and stop worrying about the future. This way works for some. Just hard-azz self-determination.

Another way is to focus as much as possible upon whatever you are doing at the moment, i.e. - living in the moment. It requires mental discipline and an emotionally-neutral user, however, so FIRST you have to get those things lined up and taken care of.

As a favorite line of therapy users goes, "It's a process..." One doesn't suddenly achieve Nirvana/Heaven/Yonkers/whatever just by crossing their legs and going "Oooooooooommmmmmm". It takes stick-to-it-tiveness, being a stubborn, bull-headed type helps, and perhaps most importantly, you really can't learn "moment living" if you are fighting off the wolves at the same time - again, requisite classes would include Self-Examination 103, Mental Health 452 and Post-Grad Studies In Balance And Control 755.

My favorite Chinese philosopher, Chuang-Tzu, said:
Flow with whatever may happen
And let your mind be free.

Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.

This is the ultimate.

...he was a baldy dude with a beard, too, so you can trust what he said!

Old 12-31-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Lovely... Thank you, Robee. I'd never heard of anything like this.

Well, other than the 2 mentioned guesses, there's no reason for this to just start happening out of the blue now...

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest you actually have them.

I think given what you have been through, the 2nd and 3rd are more likely. Maybe you just need to get your strength back and rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships