Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 01:28 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
...I know your life is not exactly a bed of roses, either, so have as happy of a new year as you can, too.
Who, me?!? I'm happier than a clam at Pismo Beach!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTwfw3-SOc

Old 12-31-2010, 01:37 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Whoever said men can't multitask?

I'm watching SyFy's "Twilight Zone" marathon (muted) and listening to Enigma's "Mea Culpa" while I type this post. A few of my other windows contain 2 chats, coding work for 3 websites and OpenOffice word-processor, I'm eating a turkey club sandwich, downing some J&B and taking hits on the...

...well, anyway, I'm multi-!!!
Westin Princeville - Starwood Hawaii Hotels & Resorts
Great BRO
hahaha

I'm just watching some babes by the pool above^^

Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,043 times
just dropping by to wish you all a very, very happy new year! (it's 22.15 here)

Old 12-31-2010, 02:19 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I've been thinking about Max'sMamma's post in the last chat about what to do with your life.

IDK, I've done all of the crap that we are "supposed" to do, went to college, got a decent job, been fairly sucessful at it, bought a home.

You know, the typical stuff right?

Does it fulfill me, no, not really. The day to day grind of going to work, deadlines, blah blah, just kind of wear you down. It's why you look at old people and kind of understand why a lot of them are so cranky.

The eternal question for most people "what to do with my life." Many many philosophers have spoken about it, I tend to agree with what a lot of what eastern philosophers say, as I'm sure sifuphil knows much more about it than me. I'm just starting to look into them. Much of Eastern philosophy just goes totally counter to Western ways of thinking.

Guys like Buddha, Laozi, Jesus, even modern day people like Chopra, Tolle and others. There seems to be some common elements amongst a lot of them.

Cause certain things are universal.

I've read that what you are meant to do, is what you're doing right this moment. That that is your purpose, what ever you are doing right now.

Hard to digest for most of us, especially in our culture.

What about what are purpose is in life is to become spiritual aware of ourselves, the be in the moment, as there isn't anything else that we have. The more we are present in our lives the more we become aware of the state of "beingness", which is what true enlightenment really is. In the state of being, in the moment, we at our best.

It is liken to a guy pitching a perfect pitch, he's in the moment, not "thinking" about anything other than what is right in front of him. Greatness comes out of these moments. Failure comes from to much thinking.

Again, hard concepts for Westerns as we're are too preoccupied with results and not the "journey" as they say.

So our purpose, be present minded.

It's all we have.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:22 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
just dropping by to wish you all a very, very happy new year! (it's 22.15 here)
Thankyou Darlin', it's 1:22P.M. here now.

Happy New Year to you & your loved ones

Old 12-31-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Westin Princeville - Starwood Hawaii Hotels & Resorts
Great BRO
hahaha

I'm just watching some babes by the pool above^^
Nice! You jes' bein' all chill-Hawk an' sheeit...

Old 12-31-2010, 03:22 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've been thinking about Max'sMamma's post in the last chat about what to do with your life.

IDK, I've done all of the crap that we are "supposed" to do, went to college, got a decent job, been fairly sucessful at it, bought a home.

Does it fulfill me, no, not really. The day to day grind of going to work, deadlines, blah blah, just kind of wear you down. It's why you look at old people and kind of understand why a lot of them are so cranky.

The eternal question for most people "what to do with my life." Many many philosophers have spoken about it, I tend to agree with what a lot of what eastern philosophers say, as I'm sure sifuphil knows much more about it than me. I'm just starting to look into them. Much of Eastern philosophy just goes totally counter to Western ways of thinking.

Guys like Buddha, Laozi, Jesus, even modern day people like Chopra, Tolle and others. There seems to be some common elements amongst a lot of them.

I've read that what you are meant to do, is what you're doing right this moment. That that is your purpose, what ever you are doing right now.

What about what are purpose is in life is to become spiritual aware of ourselves, the be in the moment, as there isn't anything else that we have. The more we are present in our lives the more we become aware of the state of "beingness", which is what true enlightenment really is. In the state of being, in the moment, we at our best.

It is liken to a guy pitching a perfect pitch, he's in the moment, not "thinking" about anything other than what is right in front of him. Greatness comes out of these moments. Failure comes from to much thinking.

Again, hard concepts for Westerns as we're are too preoccupied with results and not the "journey" as they say.

It's all we have.
Very deep Chow

I am not a spiritual person. I take great pleasure from the small things in life, a happy relationship, my parrots, tending my plants, knitting, etc. These things give my life meaning. I don't have to wait until I retire or win the lottery, I have a sense of zen in the ordinary. I still get upset and angry and morbid at times, but essentially deep down, I have peace and contentment.

May the New Year bring you much happiness my friend

Old 12-31-2010, 03:26 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Man I am such a wus.

I had planned to go to my BF's house and have a nice quiet New Year's eve. My son wanted to have some friends over here, but tonight he is supposed to be at his dad's, and so I had made my own plans. So I told him no, that tonight was not a good night, that he could plan something for tomorrow night if he wanted. I think he was going to come back over and have a party anyway..., he told his dad that I was going to be home (and I just told him I wasn't - he knew better. ) but his dad called me and verified my plans...so that was that. He said that our son was staying at his house. Period. Dang sneaky kids will try anything.

But I got a sad dejected call from my son saying that his dad said he could have a party but everyone had to stay out on the deck, and how all his friends were down and sad with no where to hang out on their last New Years of high school (they are all seniors). They like hanging out here, and often do.

I called my BF and asked what he thought, and he said that I might be giving up my nice quiet evening, but that I was gonna miss those kids next year when they are all off to school...and that maybe I should think about letting him have the party.

Aw heck. I caved.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Thank you, Brother - I had promised to continue my thoughts to MM but I was seized with a massive brain-fart.

Quote:

It can do that, if you let it; if you don't have a way of letting off steam and achieving balance.

Quote:
It's just that I've spent 40 years looking into this stuff, so it's pretty much a part of me by now.

And yes - it's very difficult to grasp Eastern ways if you're too firmly rooted in the West. As the old Chinese saying goes, "You must empty your cup before you can taste of my tea".

Quote:

I thank the stars often for having taken Comp. Rel. classes in college; it let me see the closeness of all of the beliefs. Well, at least the core beliefs - the extremists take it to a different level, but I don't see that as true religion - just fanaticism.

Quote:

It's all we have.
Wow.

That's it, in a nutshell. Perhaps you have a deeper understanding of Eastern thought than you let on...

Old 12-31-2010, 03:34 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Default To all the wonderful people behind those screens

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/effat57/new-year-2011-wishes-5.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships