U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:41 PM

42,837 posts, read 76,033,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Well I have what it takes--had a cute lesbian lady hit me up on okcupid. Hmm, what should I do? If she looked like Claire Forlani, I might have gone for it.
I dunno, hon'... If you're up for exploring, Godspeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 09:54 PM

2,732 posts, read 2,918,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
your post sucked. A woman feels attraction for $
+1

Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,903,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
As far as most go, agreed. I'm one of the rare honest specimens.

I beg to differ.

Women know exactually what they want. And know within a few seconds upon meeting you, if you're gonna get anywhere near them.

Last edited by xsthomas; 01-03-2011 at 10:35 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM

27,443 posts, read 24,063,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
luckily, i am a grown woman who has met and had relationships with a good cross section of men folk in my time. were it not, i would be completely depressed and appalled at your post as being indicative of the male race as a whole.
Men are not a "race." We're a gender. And yes, my post does apply to ALL men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
i know lots of guys who have deep reservations about so-called HOT girls who are a) obviously unintelligent b) live with their parents c) unemployed d) uneducated- etcetera. in fact, it has been my experience in los angeles that MORE guys are weary of "the pretty girls" than not, because there are simply so many of them and you learn the game MUCH quicker here. most guys i know do NOT date women who have nothing going for them but looks. a good friend of mine went on a couple dates with a girl who was smoking hot, thin, princess type and he actually found himself totally turned off by her. it is the general opinion amongst my guy friends that the hotter a girl is and the more perfect the surface, the more effed up she is going to be. and no they are not saying this for my benefit. maybe out in farm country a pretty girl could manipulate all and sundry, but i think men are just getting smarter about that stuff if GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY.

like i said, i love men, have many men friends, and do not take the fem-libber stance that all men are pigs because- guess what!- they aren't. if you choose to BE one of those guys, then go for it. but don't take your sweeping assumptions as being biblical truth. don't smear the menfolk, because many of them in fact probably MOST of them have much higher standards than you do.
This seems to be a recurring subject of confusion on this board. We're talking about ATTRACTION, not the full panoply of qualities that make an individual suitable for a long-term relationship (which includes, btw, guess what? Attraction!).

To make the point bluntly: Looks is an essential quality for men. Just because a man won't date a pretty but stupid girl does not mean he will date an ugly but smart one. He'll continue looking for a girl until he finds one that (1) meets his minimum physical attractiveness threshold and (2) possesses the other qualities he desires (smarts, character, etc). But it's not until the physical standard has been met that a man begins to entertain the idea of a relationship. In other words, there's no getting around looks when it comes to men.

Again, this is not to say that good looks trumps every other quality. But it will trump many. If a girl is smoking hot, but she's shy and rarely speaks up in a crowd, men will still be attracted to her. If a guy is good-looking, but is diffident and afraid to assert himself, then it is very likely that a substantial number of women will feel no attraction for him. On the flipside, if a man is not physically appealing in the least, but is very assertive and confident, a woman is more likely to overlook his appearance in the very same way that a man is likely to overlook a girl's personality shortcomings.

And to respond to those who say "a real man with standards would not be attracted to some smoking hot, dumb unemployed bimbo on the take," I say pish tosh. Oh yes, he'll still be attracted to her. But that doesn't mean he'll pursue a relationship with her. And when a guy is known for playing the field and conquering the hearts and loins of every woman he meets, women do get turned on. It's just that their better senses tell them that those guys are trouble. This happens for most women, anyways.

Notice in both of the above scenarios, the attraction is not a choice. You don't choose who or what you're attracted to anymore than you choose what flavor ice cream you prefer.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
So, basically you are agreeing with the bio-chemistry student from craigslist who was quoted on Page 8 of this thread? He said:

"It seems to me that women almost cannot think for themselves. Their estimates of worth are based on other peoples' estimates of worth. They don't really find an object beautiful on their own. The object becomes beautiful when other people let her know that it is beautiful."
What a red herring! Why would I agree with that? Now, a different way of asking the question is:

"Do you agree that women and men have no control over what they find attractive?"

Neither men nor women have control over what they find attractive. We have as much control over attraction as we have over the secretions of our pituitary glands. I mean, you could have very well asked the question, "Are men not capable of thinking for themselves when their heartbeats speed up when they look at girls like the one below?"

Moderator cut: image removed

Men don't have to think about whether she's attractive or not. We are slaves to our biomechanical programming, so when (or if) we happen to bump into a girl who looks like this in the frozen foods aisle at the local supermarket, we want her instantly. The attraction was created merely by the sight of a pretty face and a nice body.

Likewise, women have no control over the fact they are attracted to men that other women find attractive for whatever reason. If you had read my last post, instead of trying to shove words in my mouth, you would understand this point perfectly. So, here it is again for those who have a difficult time grasping a very simple concept.

Men dig beauty.
Women, otho, have diverse tastes, and unlike men, can't go off looks alone to know if a guy's attractive.
Ergo, women (subconciously) often rely on indirect evidence of male attractiveness.
This means that women (subconsciously) will rate a guy's hotness based on how many hot chicks he gets.
Overall, a woman's attraction to a man depends on a complex interplay of social dynamics.

Are we clear?

Last edited by Marka; 01-09-2014 at 08:43 AM..

Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,240,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Likewise, women have no control over the fact they are attracted to men that other women find attractive for whatever reason.
Yes, we do. That video of various guido douchebags did nothing for me. I promise that if one of them walked by with two women on each arm, I wouldn't give him a second glance ... except maybe to smirk at his outfit. By your reasoning, we women should desire Hugh Hefner, since he always has a gaggle of girlfriends.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:49 AM

20,783 posts, read 21,889,593 times
Quote:
By your reasoning, we women should desire Hugh Hefner, since he always has a gaggle of girlfriends.
Or those obese hillbilly husbands on the Jerry Springer show who are not only sleeping with his wife, but her sister and her mother as well.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yes, we do. That video of various guido douchebags did nothing for me. I promise that if one of them walked by with two women on each arm, I wouldn't give him a second glance ... except maybe to smirk at his outfit. By your reasoning, we women should desire Hugh Hefner, since he always has a gaggle of girlfriends.

That's because the guido douchebags and Hugh Heffner are tacky, and for all intents and purposes, are considered cariactures. It would be the same for me if Jenny McCarthy walked into a room. She's so idiotic to the point that it negates any beauty she possesses.

Your reaction would probably be different, however, if you were at a regular social function, and you saw a guy, nicely dressed, holding court with two or three attractive women.

These are the rules of attraction, and even though exceptions exist, the rules are still the rules.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:59 AM

20,783 posts, read 21,889,593 times
Quote:
Your reaction would probably be different, however, if you were at a regular social function, and you saw a guy, nicely dressed, holding court with two or three attractive women.
But why would I want to compete with other women for this dude's attention, when at this hypothetical party there would be several equally attractive men who I could have to myself?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:07 AM

12,941 posts, read 18,571,657 times
Quote:
...Neither men nor women have control over what they find attractive. We have as much control over attraction as we have over the secretions of our pituitary glands. I mean, you could have very well asked the question, "Are men not capable of thinking for themselves when their heartbeats speed up when they look at girls like the one below?"...
Sulpiride isomers are successfully used to control anterior pituitary secretions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or