U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM

77 posts, read 52,011 times
Default Just wondering, Guys living together after a certain age?

My brother recently moved into a new building. There are two guys who are at least over 35, maybe 40, livng together a couple of doors down. I don't know and I don't really care what their situation is but I was just wondering if this is more common than I'm aware? They seem to be employed and it's not NYC or anything where the rent's really high. I know my brother moved out to finally be away from roommates. In my neighborhood there are women who've lived in a house together for more than 20 years but as far as I know they're good friends. It just seems more acceptable for women than for men.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 11:44 AM

24,792 posts, read 26,180,157 times
Depends. Do they have separate bedrooms? Or can you hear lots of Barbra Streisand wafting down the hallway?

But you're right. It's more socially acceptable for women to roommate than men. Don't ask me why.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 4,708 times
I think it's pretty common. When I was a single mom living in an apartment and two men (early 40's) moved in downstairs, I wondered about them. Turns out one was a divorced dad paying child support for 3 kids and the other just trying to put some money away. I actually dated one of them for a short time. They stayed about 2 years and then both bought their own homes.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:52 AM

5,079 posts, read 8,609,139 times
LOL, if you're not concerned, then why are you asking?? (JUST teasing). I have known plenty of men who have male roommates and they get along fine and it works out sometimes for years... no different then women sharing a place.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:38 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,361,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanlynn View Post
My brother recently moved into a new building. There are two guys who are at least over 35, maybe 40, livng together a couple of doors down. I don't know and I don't really care what their situation is but I was just wondering if this is more common than I'm aware? They seem to be employed and it's not NYC or anything where the rent's really high. I know my brother moved out to finally be away from roommates. In my neighborhood there are women who've lived in a house together for more than 20 years but as far as I know they're good friends. It just seems more acceptable for women than for men.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Two, or even up to four guys living together, is not unusual in some cases. If they aren't married, why not? What's the problem? Some of them have a blast and it is a hoot, like almost everyday at that house. I know some plumbers and electricians that live together while they fix up a house and sell it when it's done. Only to move onto the next. If they don't have "the eye", I wouldn't think twice about it!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:43 PM

12,782 posts, read 8,701,440 times
Guys live together just like in "the odd couple".

Old 01-03-2011, 05:48 PM

3,360 posts, read 3,290,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanlynn View Post
Love ya kid, but what a silly question, at least from my perspective...

You just can't win these days I guess...

If the guy was living with a female, it would be fornication in other peoples minds...or as Dr Laura puts it 'Shacking up'...

And if two males live together...they might be gay 'hush hush'...wow...

How about plain old fashion economic reasons...to save money and the fact that they just get alone...

I can't even believe this is news anymore...

Old 01-03-2011, 06:17 PM

7,373 posts, read 7,081,405 times
I had to give a guy the boot not too long ago... I should have bailed as soon as I learned he had roommates (he was 41). Outside of dating, I wouldn't care.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 PM

880 posts, read 1,071,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I had to give a guy the boot not too long ago... I should have bailed as soon as I learned he had roommates (he was 41). Outside of dating, I wouldn't care.
You dumped a guy for having roommates? In NYC?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:22 PM

4,489 posts, read 5,375,845 times
Not at all unheard of here (although generally the roommates taper off around 30ish). But then, the rent is rather expensive in this area.

Some people just don't like to live alone, maybe? I would be lonely that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships