Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,735,418 times

Advertisements

Times are a changing...

Nearly 40% say marriage is becoming obsolete - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,108 times
Actually I agree with much of what the OP expressed. But the caveat is, "YOUNG people shouldn't get married." Anyone foolish enough to marry much before 30 is probably asking for trouble. Many young people today have been given everything by their parents, spoiled rotten and many don't even work, they just live at home, unemployed forever, it seems. The parents support them through thick and thin. So these young people have no remote conception of what it takes to make a good marriage thrive. They don't have the necessary skills.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:57 AM

727 posts, read 540,092 times
Weddings More food and relatives

Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,871 times
Most people function better in a partnership.

When I was younger, I had so much drive/testosterone that I usually felt that people slowed me down. I did most things by myself and I was very, very active. Without a partner, it becomes very easy to just...hang out. Thats what I see.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 PM

951 posts, read 1,810,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Actually I agree with much of what the OP expressed. But the caveat is, "YOUNG people shouldn't get married." Anyone foolish enough to marry much before 30 is probably asking for trouble. Many young people today have been given everything by their parents, spoiled rotten and many don't even work, they just live at home, unemployed forever, it seems. The parents support them through thick and thin. So these young people have no remote conception of what it takes to make a good marriage thrive. They don't have the necessary skills.
And of course that is a big problem with marriage today. Few are ready for it much before age 30 and few men are willing to marry after age 35 and certainly not to the women generally available. By then they've heard all the facts about what a bad deal it usually is for men and are very reluctant. (The fact is, intelligent men have determined this by their mid 20s)

The institution is getting squeezed out by the economy and by women, who have an easy exit strategy and give it a bad name.

Last edited by WhyShouldIWorry; 01-05-2011 at 12:55 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 12:38 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Marriage is suppose to be a LIFETIME Commitment between two people. It's suppose to be an expression of love in its ultimate form that 2 people care and are loyal.

This culture has lost that sense. Marriage is like the new relationship. All it does is create a financial situation if you guys want to split. It really is a waste of time to get married for both male in female. 60% of marriages experience infidelity. We all know what the figures so there's no point in reposting them.

Like seriously people especially women leave marriages for the dumbest reasons.My wife is fat. My husband works all the time to take care of me and my selfish behind and I want to leave him???? The sex isn't what it used to be.

I mean the concept should just be taken out of our society completely solely. IMO..
No offense but I'm not really ready to take advice or even serious opinions on an institution as old and as hallowed as marriage from someone who cannot even employ proper syntax or sentence structure. Too, it's obvious that your romantic life is, well, in the tank--either that or you've been burned in the past. Thusly, you are soured on the whole notion of lasting true love. Ergo, your opinion is biased and thus not objective enough to merit consideration. We have a common, metaphorical term for your situation: Sour Grapes.
Nobody was a bigger horndog and womanizer and bachelor and drinker and flouter of societal norms in their hey-day than was I. But I've recently gotten married and am happier than I've ever been, and am finding it to be a blesssed, wonderful institution.
Better luck to you in your personal life, mate.

Last edited by DrummerBoy; 01-05-2011 at 01:23 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 12:50 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,571,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Marriage is suppose to be a LIFETIME Commitment between two people. It's suppose to be an expression of love in its ultimate form that 2 people care and are loyal.

This culture has lost that sense. Marriage is like the new relationship. All it does is create a financial situation if you guys want to split. It really is a waste of time to get married for both male in female. 60% of marriages experience infidelity. We all know what the figures so there's no point in reposting them.

Like seriously people especially women leave marriages for the dumbest reasons.My wife is fat. My husband works all the time to take care of me and my selfish behind and I want to leave him???? The sex isn't what it used to be.

I mean the concept should just be taken out of our society completely solely. IMO..

You make it seem like marriage is a fad,"I don't believe in marriage because everyone who was/is married screws it up." Yeah it's "dead" to you but not to me buddy.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
No offense but I'm not really ready to take advice or even serious opinions on an institution as old and as hallowed as marriage from someone who cannot even employ proper syntax or sentence structure. Too, it's obvious that your romantic life is, well, in the tank--either that or you've been burned in the past. Thusly, you are soured on the whole notion of lasting true love. Ergo, your opinion is biased and thus not objective enough to merit consideration. We have a common, metaphorical term for your situation: Sour Grapes.
Nobody was a bigger horndog and womanizer and bachelor and drinker and flaunter of societal norms in their hey-day than was I. But I've recently gotten married and am happier than I've ever been, and am finding it to be a blesssed, wonderful institution.
Better luck to you in your personal life, mate.

Congrats on the recent nuptials, but didn't you just recently end a relationship because the chick took a stinky dump? If I'm mistaken, then my apologies.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Congrats on the recent nuptials, but didn't you just recently end a relationship because the chick took a stinky dump? If I'm mistaken, then my apologies.
Yep--you're mistaken.
The thread here has to do with the insitutution of marriage.
That's hardly the gist of the post you're referring to.
Try to pay just a little closer attention, 'kay?
Great....thanks.
Oh, yeah.....apology accepted anyway.

Last edited by DrummerBoy; 01-05-2011 at 01:22 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 01:04 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,713 times
Have you not heard? Have you not seen? Happiness is more important than commitment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships