U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2012, 03:15 PM
 
1,464 posts, read 1,665,887 times
Reputation: 1096

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
marriage makes alota sense, if you had the good sense to get a prenup b4.
marriage is great its the divorce sunami that is a cancer on our society.
prenups would reduce divorce and probably improve marriage and family and may i dare say reduce prison population?
if anything prenups increase divorce
lots of people stay married because they don't want to lose half their **** in divorce (or simply can't afford to)
if these people had prenups they would be quicker to divorce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2012, 03:41 PM
 
Location: southern california
50,376 posts, read 47,810,582 times
Reputation: 41805
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
40 pct may be amongst loyal partners but it doesnt mean that people arent miserable for other reasons
67% of marriages fail, 2nd time around its 79%.
divorce is minimized by those that benefit from it. unfortunately the kids get no say so and they are the ones left holding the bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 05:36 PM
 
Location: southern california
50,376 posts, read 47,810,582 times
Reputation: 41805
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
if anything prenups increase divorce
lots of people stay married because they don't want to lose half their **** in divorce (or simply can't afford to)
if these people had prenups they would be quicker to divorce
i respectfully disagree. prenup would result in women divorcing less. currently 70% divorces filed are women. if women are showing great restraint its not showing. prenup would however also mean men would put up with much less, no longer over a financial barrel as u have mentioned very true. but i think men are less likely to file for divorce. my bet is if women do not have to make the effort to make the marriage work, they wont make the effort to make the marriage work, currently they dont have to, financially speaking. . women love getting married but not being married. men love being married, a fundamental difference. current stats support these statements. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 06:03 PM
 
14,755 posts, read 15,452,513 times
Reputation: 8202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i respectfully disagree. prenup would result in women divorcing less. currently 70% divorces filed are women. if women are showing great restraint its not showing. prenup would however also mean men would put up with much less, no longer over a financial barrel as u have mentioned very true. but i think men are less likely to file for divorce. my bet is if women do not have to make the effort to make the marriage work, they wont make the effort to make the marriage work, currently they dont have to, financially speaking. . women love getting married but not being married. men love being married, a fundamental difference. current stats support these statements. .
If we had 1) FAULT divorce and 2) pre-nups, the divorce rate would plummet. The marriage rate would probably plummet, too, because it would no longer be advantageous for women to marry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 07:10 PM
 
15,203 posts, read 8,563,149 times
Reputation: 12012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i respectfully disagree. prenup would result in women divorcing less. currently 70% divorces filed are women. if women are showing great restraint its not showing. prenup would however also mean men would put up with much less, no longer over a financial barrel as u have mentioned very true. but i think men are less likely to file for divorce. my bet is if women do not have to make the effort to make the marriage work, they wont make the effort to make the marriage work, currently they dont have to, financially speaking. . women love getting married but not being married. men love being married, a fundamental difference. current stats support these statements. .

Your argument only works if those getting married brought something to the table financially before the marriage.

My husband and I got married young. Both of us had nothing. IF I we were to divorce we'd each get half of everything, and rightfully so.

Most of the people that I know got married under the same circumstances...met young, didn't have much to speak of in the way of finances and built their life together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Washington
26 posts, read 17,671 times
Reputation: 13
I do agree it should be for life but today Marriage is a joke,people should do it for Love and nothing ells but its not but like my case I didnt Marrie for love its becouse I got my Wife Pregnet & every one told me do the right thing marrie her well it ended up being the wrong thing wev ben married for 15 years now & have 4 kids now but thear is no love for each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2012, 12:02 AM
 
Location: southern california
50,376 posts, read 47,810,582 times
Reputation: 41805
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Your argument only works if those getting married brought something to the table financially before the marriage.

My husband and I got married young. Both of us had nothing. IF I we were to divorce we'd each get half of everything, and rightfully so.

Most of the people that I know got married under the same circumstances...met young, didn't have much to speak of in the way of finances and built their life together.
u r right in 33.5 % of the cases. in 33.5% of the cases the woman is the bigger breadwinner. but even so, divorce court still favors women in a divorce esp as to custody which determines who gets those mega child support payments( which are not earmarked for the kids), and who is guna pay for the credit card debt. credit card debt is a negotiated settlement. divorce court favors women even with the increase in wage earnings by women. the law may be no fault but that is not how it plays out in court. guys should get a prenup no doubt about it. again take away the incentive for a quick financially beneficial divorce and divorce will diminish.
Increasingly, wives earn more than husbands - Business - Careers - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2012, 12:07 AM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,578 posts, read 5,127,557 times
Reputation: 8998
Marriage is good..common law marriage is good-- people being together beats being alone or dating everything with a heart beat till you are so old no one wants you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2012, 12:21 AM
 
584 posts, read 367,826 times
Reputation: 1498
Marriage isn't dead, but it isn't for everyone. Far too many people marry the wrong person for the wrong reasons and don't have a realistic view of a marital relationship. Think about how many people you know who married someone psycho, stupid, lazy, tons of baggage, spendthrift, a jerk, a beech, trifling, pure evil, <insert your own here> and the sane half of the couple knew this about them before getting married, but married the person anyway and now are miserable and/or headed for divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2012, 01:07 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
1,416 posts, read 1,609,206 times
Reputation: 1352
Marriage isn't the problem or else people wouldn't be getting married every year or celebrating 10 or 20 year anniversaries. The problem is people who marry for the wrong reasons, or marry based on unrealistic expectations or outside influences/pressures, or fail to understand that marriage TAKES WORK.

I've been married now going on 2 years, living together for 4 and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Getting married is easy, the real test of a relationship is STAYING married and unfortunately in today's society, it's easier for 1 person to seek divorce than to work on the issues that strain the marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top