Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:26 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times

Advertisements

Depends on the culture. In the Hispanic culture, it is very common (here in San Antonio it's pretty common) to live at home until you marry. There's even some young adults having children and still live at home and the house is pretty packed. When you have a family, it's a good reason to leave home and make your own home for you and your family. I left home until I was 25 and got married. I don't feel l missed out on anything, I was too busy working and going to school at the time to notice (I graduated from college at 24). The good thing about it was I saved a ton and had a good size of funds to start our apartment search, have an emergency fund and I opened a IRA as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 01:39 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Have you ever tried to pay rent, utilities (in the middle of winter), car payments and buy food when you were out of work?
I can only assume it's got to be a difficult position to be in. Fortunately, I've barely been in such dire straits. Been close to such predicament, but not exactly there.

Frankly, when I did confront difficulties, my first option was not to run to my parents. Matter of fact, I don't recall saying anything to them about my difficulties. I just figured these problems were mine and only mine to fix, not their's. I remember turning to a friend when money was tight, and when it was nearly impossible to make ends meet with what I had at the time. But I did not ask my parents for help. I guess I just grew up knowing that reaching out for their help was no longer an option once I left the nest.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:41 PM

97 posts, read 161,286 times
This is BS. I live in DC and I know hundreds of 20-somethings that live on their own around here. It is the parents fault, because they didn't raise their kids to be independent. I didn't live at home during college and have lived on my own since I graduated. My parents actually only live about 20 minutes south of me. I am 27 and go to grad school part at GWU which is not cheap. I don't care if I don't have a penny in the bank at the end of the month. I would never live at home. No woman would ever respected me and how could I call myself a man.
*No one say you need to save money, because I have a 401K that is matched through my job and a ROTH IRA that I put money in every month.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:42 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I can only assume it's got to be a difficult position to be in. Fortunately, I've barely been in such dire straits. Been close to such predicament, but not exactly there.

Frankly, when I did confront difficulties, my first option was not to run to my parents. Matter of fact, I don't recall saying anything to them about my difficulties. I just figured these problems were mine and only mine to fix, not their's. I remember turning to a friend when money was tight, and when it was nearly impossible to make ends meet with what I had at the time. But I did not ask my parents for help. I guess I just grew up knowing that reaching out for their help was no longer an option once I left the nest.
I'm confused..you went to your friends, but not your parents?? If I was your friend, I would've said "don't you have parents?" and only if you had no other option, I would have helped, simply because I'm also struggling.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:44 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times
Culturally, it's okay for kids to live with their parents, but most kids don't want to live with their parents due to the "self-reliant, independent, and freedom" that they want to have.

OTOH, I am still in college and will be done this semester. I have tons of loans to pay off so I'm actually doing myself and my parents a favor here, saving money. I'm not afraid. I'm just taking my time and trying to be smart, that's all.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:48 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
First of all, this thread is about 20-28 year olds. There is a big difference between a 20 year old and a 28 year old. The 20 year old is likely either in college (therefore unable to support themself) or can't afford to support themself because they didn't go to college so they can't get a good job.

The 28 year old is likely 6 years out of college. You would expect someone to be self-supporting by then.

If a 20 year old lives with their parents or is being supported by their parents, there is nothing wrong with that. If a 28 year old lives with their parents, then that might give you reason to wonder.

I'd say 22 is the earliest realistic age for people to support themselves. Each year after 22, it becomes less and less acceptable to live with/be supported by your parents.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Culturally, it's okay for kids to live with their parents, but most kids don't want to live with their parents due to the "self-reliant, independent, and freedom" that they want to have.

OTOH, I am still in college and will be done this semester. I have tons of loans to pay off so I'm actually doing myself and my parents a favor here, saving money. I'm not afraid. I'm just taking my time and trying to be smart, that's all.
Exactly what I"m doing as well! I could see if the kid does nothing at all to better themselves. But a lot of posters on here are making kids who stay at home while they're getting through college and working a part time job that won't cover rent plus all their bills, as lazy and afraid. I personally find that to be condescending. If someone can go to college and afford to live on their own at the same time, lucky them! I have taken out way too many loans so far, so I have to be a lot more careful now.

Now kids who are gainfully employed, finished with school and still don't want to move out, that's bizarre to me, but who knows what their reasoning is.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:51 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
I left home at 19 and never went back. My parents were lovely liberal people for the most part and I loved them, but I could not wait to leave. Living on the bones of my a$$ was better than living at home.

I like to call this generation the leech generation. They stay at home mooching a fair bit and refuse to take too many responsibilities for being an adult. "I'm only 26, I'm too young to be completely responsible for myself...and if I leave and have to pay for my rent and food I won't have any money for the latest 4G phone and all the other electronics I can't live without".

Old 01-13-2011, 02:03 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I hope you know how difficult this would be and that only the Democratic party would have any interest in doing it. The Republicans would be aghast if a) the Govt offered more grants for college, or b) the Govt imposed on the universities to do something about their costs.

Universities aren't much different from Walmart, profit is their primary motivation.

Back to the thread- methinks young adults are getting along better with their parents than previous generations. It makes sense, their parents probably bought too much house anyway.
I don't want this turned into something political. But most health care is not much different than Walmart. Profit is their primary motivation and to say it isn't would be ignorant.

Why do we do things? For profit. So by staying at your parent's home you can save up. And those who are not living with their parents then they live with room mates and the sort.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:06 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
First of all, this thread is about 20-28 year olds. There is a big difference between a 20 year old and a 28 year old. The 20 year old is likely either in college (therefore unable to support themself) or can't afford to support themself because they didn't go to college so they can't get a good job.

The 28 year old is likely 6 years out of college. You would expect someone to be self-supporting by then.

If a 20 year old lives with their parents or is being supported by their parents, there is nothing wrong with that. If a 28 year old lives with their parents, then that might give you reason to wonder.

I'd say 22 is the earliest realistic age for people to support themselves. Each year after 22, it becomes less and less acceptable to live with/be supported by your parents.
This is part of the problem with American culture. Everything goes according to this dumb time line society created and the people are dumb enough to believe in it. No wonder we are the nation with the highest number of people depressed and we are one of the nation's with the highest rape, child molestations, drug use, etc.

People can't keep up. And it drives them to do dumb things. If we just became laid back and chilled up. The better we all would become. I don't see what is wrong with a 28 yr old living at. So long as he or she is doing chores and not mean with the parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships