Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:22 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Seriously. Let's say for a moment that you're making $10/hr at a supermarket. You work an 8 hour day, six days a week. You'd be making $1,920 a month before taxes. After taxes I believe it's around $20,000/year.

That is not very livable in DC. $10hr is a generous example too. If you can stay at home, you'd be stupid not to.
not to mention if you're a full time student, you have to cut your hours down to 20-30 hours/week...even less livable.

I can't believe we have to spell it out for everyone else...good lord!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 03:23 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Well if I didn't still live at home, then at the very least my dad would be paying a lot more for college. If I was completely self-reliant then I'd probably be living in pretty terrible conditions. A kid my age (19) with no vocational skills can basically only get low-paying service jobs. I'd be pulling my hair out trying to make ends meet. Whereas the way things are now, I can focus entirely on school, which means I can get a good job out of college and THEN I won't need to rely on my parents anymore. Why? Because I'll be making enough money to afford rent, food, gas and savings.
That's how things are for me too. My parents support me so I can focus on school. So it's not like I sit around doing nothing. I'm sitting around doing nothing right now, but that's because it's the first day of the semester and I don't have homework.

I have a cousin that has no help from his parents. He has to work full time and go to college. Because of that, he didn't graduate on time. He was supposed to graduate in May 2010. I think he might have graduated in December, but maybe he's still in college. I'm not sure. He's so focused on other stuff that he doesn't keep in touch with the family. His grades suffer because of this, too. This is the point I'm trying to make: my parents support me so I don't end up like him

I know someone that lived in his in-laws basement until he was 40 and he finally got kicked out. He sat around doing nothing. There is a big difference between him and us.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:24 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
l) This is a parenting thing...not an environment thing. If you can't do it, you are a looser, Plain and Simple. Your parents simply raised you to be a weiner.
I lived at home until I got married at 25. I had completed a bachelors degree a year ago before getting married, had a car, savings in the bank, an IRA. I had enough saved up to get furniture for the apartment. My parents raised me to make smart financial decisions which to this day I still do. My parents also didn't want me to struggle unnecessarily by trying to live away from home if I didn't have to. I worked almost full time and went to school full time and didn't spend that much time at home but only to sleep and on weekends. Weekends were spent studying. My husband also lived at home with his mom and I didn't see anything nothing wrong with that. He had a full time job, had a car. Once we got married, we got our own place, of course.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:24 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
There is nothing wrong with living with your parents. They are still young. And it would be a smart thing to do. To get your debt smaller before moving out. Or to at least collect money so that you can buy a property with the money you saved up.

I should also mention. That some jobs do force the person to move out indefinitely. But still if you have good parents you would want to see them and keep in contact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
It's not the 70s anymore. The economic future for many is not bright. I had to stay with my folks from January 2009 to July 2010 because of this economy. Things still aren't great but I'm out on my own again.

Did you two actually read the OP? One is making 100K, the other is an RN with no loans.

I'd have booted those two out a long time ago.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:26 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,304,525 times
I'll also add that it sure looks awesome to hold up the line at checkout with two carts worth of groceries to argue with the clerk for 20 minutes when the debit card account HAS NO MONEY in it! Don't argue, get out of my flippin way, I'm in a hurry! Awesome YEAH!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:27 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Did you two actually read the OP? One is making 100K, the other is an RN with no loans.

I did and I still would not change my opinion.

If they were my children and wanted to live in my house. I would allow them so long as they did their own laundry and cleaned up their own room. And mow my lawn and shovel the snow.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:30 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post

The OP didn't say how long the engineer has been employed. He or she may be paying off the students loan completely, saving up for a downpayment on a home, creating an emergency fund. He or she may be 28 years old but maybe just graduated a year or two plus taxes can be killer for someone who is single and in that tax bracket.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:30 PM

97 posts, read 161,229 times
People are full of lame excuses around here. I live in the second most expensive city and have everything I want. Work smarter, not harder.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:32 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,304,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Thank you!! I will be moved out in August...even while I"m still in college because I will be able to, not to impress anyone while living in a sh**hole.
Take one guess who is the bill collector and has to chase these clown kids all over town to get our money? Sometimes, threatening bodily harm! LOL BTW, quit throwing children out of wedlock sh8tty diapers down the upstairs vents. They GO IN THE TRASH hoochie mamas! Someone has to fish them out!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:35 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
I did and I still would not change my opinion.

If they were my children and wanted to live in my house. I would allow them so long as they did their own laundry and cleaned up their own room. And mow my lawn and shovel the snow.
And that is why so many Millennials are helpless, come fully equipped with nothing more than a huge sense of entitlement, and are an unholy PITA for their Gen-X co-workers to deal with. I don't care how "independent" someone is. If you (in the general) aren't paying your way when you can dang well afford to, and you aren't handling your own bills when have a great job, and you are still living under Mommy and Daddy's roof according to Mommy and Daddy's rules like this one 28-year-old I know who has to call if she'll be home after 1:00 a.m., you are an immature mooch. A few chores do not constitute independence.

Love? Love is giving your children the background and strength to be self-sufficient, not coddle them and wipe their butts until they're 30, so that they come to expect the same unconditional arse-kissing worship and spoilage from their spouses and bosses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships