Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 05:42 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
On the forums, it's just general venting posts about how young people are lazy and entitled. In real life, though, I've had many people express those kinds of feelings towards me specifically. My parents basically see me as a failure and my grandparents see me as teetering on the edge of failure. But what they say to me sounds a lot like a lot of older people say in general on CD forums and other areas of the Internet, so I am sincerely just trying to understand this perspective. What exactly is my generation doing or not doing?
I am sorry you weren't lucky enough to be born to supportive and encouraging parents

You need to concentrate on tuning out their negativity and ignoring their opinion of you. Just remember, they have their own issues and problems. Try to find other adults in your life who you do respect that you can count on for emotional support okay?

To answer your question, what is your generation not doing? Well, many of them are just not progressing, not moving forward with their lives.

They seem to be stuck in teenagehood and want to spend 10 hours a day playing video games . They lack motivation and focus on the bigger picture. They have gotten too comfortable with life at home and seem content to just not grow up. This is of course not the way all 20 somethings are living their lives! Many are doing all the right things and working hard to be adults. But the segment of this age group that I am referring to is a new phenomenom. Never before in prior generations have there been so many young people that just don't want to grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 05:44 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,295,273 times
He's saving an extra 1000 bux a month that he doesn't have to spend on rent. Smart.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
He's saving an extra 1000 bux a month that he doesn't have to spend on rent. Smart.
He may be smart, but his parents are dumb as rocks

(we are talking about the 28 year old making over $100,000 a year, right?)

Old 01-13-2011, 05:50 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,295,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
He may be smart, but his parents are dumb as rocks

(we are talking about the 28 year old making over $100,000 a year, right?)
yes.... Some people just like to have communal living. why try to make dinner for one when dinner will be ready on the table after a long hard day of work? Home cooked meals by your mom. Yum. I know lots of doctors in training who do this. Saves them a ton so they can go out and buy a 70k car instead and hook up with chicks. Some parents eat this stuff up, they love their kids living at home. The ones who hate it will already have kicked their kids out by 18.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:50 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,715,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
To answer your question, what is your generation not doing? Well, many of them are just not progressing, not moving forward with their lives.

They seem to be stuck in teenagehood and want to spend 10 hours a day playing video games . They lack motivation and focus on the bigger picture. They have gotten too comfortable with life at home and seem content to just not grow up. This is of course not the way all 20 somethings are living their lives! Many are doing all the right things and working hard to be adults. But the segment of this age group that I am referring to is a new phenomenom. Never before in prior generations have there been so many young people that just don't want to grow up.
I completely agree LM.

This all started with that Dr Spock and his Baby and Child Care book. It started a whole new generation of parents who essentially mollycoddled their kids and stymied their development into independent adults.

I think many parents have forgotten what parenting is all about, which is to help our children develop into independent, functional members of society.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,042,435 times
Coming from a different culture, I don't find this trend that appalling, particularly now. If you have a good relationship with your parents and they don't mind, it's not such a bad idea to pay off student loans and/or just save some money, which would give you a better start at adulthood.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:56 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,580,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondurant View Post
it's not the 70s anymore. The economic future for many is not bright. I had to stay with my folks from january 2009 to july 2010 because of this economy. Things still aren't great but i'm out on my own again.
+1

Old 01-13-2011, 05:57 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,580,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Coming from a different culture, I don't find this trend that appalling, particularly now. If you have a good relationship with your parents and they don't mind, it's not such a bad idea to pay off student loans and/or just save some money, which would give you a better start at adulthood.
Exactly.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
yes.... Some people just like to have communal living. why try to make dinner for one when dinner will be ready on the table after a long hard day of work? Home cooked meals by your mom. Yum. I know lots of doctors in training who do this. Saves them a ton so they can go out and buy a 70k car instead and hook up with chicks. Some parents eat this stuff up, they love their kids living at home. The ones who hate it will already have kicked their kids out by 18.
I can tell you with the utmost honestsy that I LOVE my kids company and I loved living with them as they grew into young men. They were joys to have around.

But to have encouraged or allowed them to stay at home past college, no matter how much I would have enjoyed it, would have been nothing short of irresponsible on our part in my opinion.

Having that part of our lives together come to an end was bittersweet, but NECESSARY. And I certainly didn't have to "kick" anyone out - they left because they were ready to go.

Since they started walking as toddlers we had been preparing them to fly the nest one day, because that was our job, to get them ready to go. Parents who refuse to instill the self confidence, self reliance and independence every young person needs to succeed in life have failed as parents. And our whole society suffers the consequences.

(There are of course exceptions to every rule, and every situation is different, I do understand that. Again, in this thread we are discussing 20 somethings with great educations who make very good salaries, not all 20 something year olds )

Old 01-13-2011, 06:03 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,301,531 times
I have been on my own ever since I left for college at 18. No, my parents did not pay for my education. I had scholarships and worked. Now, I live on my own...and do really well. I am an executive in a company with an assistant at the age of 24. I also do volunteer work almost every weekend. So, I don't really get what the OP is saying. My friends are all independent except for one who helps out his mom by sharing the mortage with her. If I had tried to make it on the salary I made before getting a degree, I wouldn't have been able to do it. Going to school definitely helped me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships