Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:51 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times

Advertisements

I think Malkiel's biggest issue is how he doesn't care enough about her. He said he'd gladly have sex with her. Clearly, he's attracted to her. But he said he doesn't want her as a girlfriend. It sounds like he might be using her just so he's not eating alone, and he'd be willing to use her for sex. Maybe he's hoping she'll put out if he takes her to dinner. He's just not interested in a relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 02:26 PM

29 posts, read 38,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
That's what I don't understand either. Why not have your male friends go to the restaurant with you? Or are you trying to appear as if you are a winner with the girls in public?
Why do people make such a big deal about going to dinner (or hanging out alone in other circumstances too) with opposite sex friends? Personally, I go to dinner alone with friends of both genders, but prefer female friends. They're better dinner company. They converse with me more and so long as they're not new friends (though apparently that's not the case with the OP since she appears to be a new friend), it's less awkward than going out alone with a male friend.

Homophobia is widespread in this country. I have one male friend that I've been to dinner with multiple times without any homophobia crap entering in, only one. But I can go out to dinner with my closest female friend and have nice long conversations, share food, etc., without her or anyone else giving it a second thought. Last time I went out to dinner with one of my male friends on the other hand, he changed his dinner order because I ordered the same thing as him and that's too in danger of being gay apparently. While some friends are good for all sorts of activities, different gender friends are good for different things sometimes. I can ask a female friend out to dinner and a movie. A lot of people might consider that too "date-like," but if you're going to restrict what you can do with opposite sex friends by eliminating everything that a girlfriend/boyfriend would do, then there's no point in having opposite sex friends in the first place. I can go out to dinner and a movie with my male friends too-if they get over the homophobia crap of spending all that time alone with another guy at a restaurant and movie theater-but it's more fun with with a woman. And doing so certainly doesn't have to come with alternative motives such as "appearing as a winner with girls in public."

Old 01-15-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
Why do people make such a big deal about going to dinner (or hanging out alone in other circumstances too) with opposite sex friends? Personally, I go to dinner alone with friends of both genders, but prefer female friends. They're better dinner company. They converse with me more and so long as they're not new friends (though apparently that's not the case with the OP since she appears to be a new friend), it's less awkward than going out alone with a male friend.

Homophobia is widespread in this country. I have one male friend that I've been to dinner with multiple times without any homophobia crap entering in, only one. But I can go out to dinner with my closest female friend and have nice long conversations, share food, etc., without her or anyone else giving it a second thought. Last time I went out to dinner with one of my male friends on the other hand, he changed his dinner order because I ordered the same thing as him and that's too in danger of being gay apparently. While some friends are good for all sorts of activities, different gender friends are good for different things sometimes. I can ask a female friend out to dinner and a movie. A lot of people might consider that too "date-like," but if you're going to restrict what you can do with opposite sex friends by eliminating everything that a girlfriend/boyfriend would do, then there's no point in having opposite sex friends in the first place. I can go out to dinner and a movie with my male friends too-if they get over the homophobia crap of spending all that time alone with another guy at a restaurant and movie theater-but it's more fun with with a woman. And doing so certainly doesn't have to come with alternative motives such as "appearing as a winner with girls in public."
You make a good point. Opposite sex friends CAN do the same things boyfriends and girlfriends do. A boyfriend/girlfriend is just a glorified friend.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:43 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan View Post

Before I visited city-data, I had no idea about this attitude and even found it unbelievable at first sight.

Must be a certain part of the US. It's just such an everyday occurence where I live -- no one really cares about who eats dinner together.

That people would actually consider it socially unacceptable for guys to have dinner at a cafe or a restaurant or a movie sounds really strange to me, and I've spent my whole life taking it for granted. What activities are guys supposed to do with their guy friends then?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:03 AM

545 posts, read 1,555,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Before I visited city-data, I had no idea about this attitude and even found it unbelievable at first sight.

Must be a certain part of the US. It's just such an everyday occurence where I live -- no one really cares about who eats dinner together.

That people would actually consider it socially unacceptable for guys to have dinner at a cafe or a restaurant or a movie sounds really strange to me, and I've spent my whole life taking it for granted. What activities are guys supposed to do with their guy friends then?
Most guys hang out with a large group of guys and ideally with girls mixed into them. Have you ever heard of the term sausage fest?

Everytime I ask my male friends for dinner they'll want at least several guys. Also, most would want a girl to come along. It's much harder to find a guy to have dinner with than a girl.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:31 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
"I hear people say that you can't be friends with women.... that guys always want something more."

This is just nonsense. My husband's best friend for the past 25 years is female. I have many male friends who have had decades-long platonic friendships with women. It's a total myth that guys "always want more." If they're not sexually/physically attracted to the woman, there's nothing there.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
"I hear people say that you can't be friends with women.... that guys always want something more."

This is just nonsense. My husband's best friend for the past 25 years is female. I have many male friends who have had decades-long platonic friendships with women. It's a total myth that guys "always want more." If they're not sexually/physically attracted to the woman, there's nothing there.
Even if we're just friends, I prefer to be friends with attractive women.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:10 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
Sure, me too, I understand this. But it's just absurd for anyone to think a man can't be friends with a woman and leave it at that.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:41 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Then you've become an idiot. Everyone should be courteous of others - men and women.
The extreme irony found in this post is noteworthy enough to put you on ignore for being an....idiot.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:03 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Friends with benefits is the new thing these days so say good bye to the platonic opposite sex friendship (joking).
You are right, friends with benefits is the new thing. Sex, friendship, no strings, if thats possible. Remember on Seinfeld, Jerry and Elaine, Rule #1 "No phone calls the next day".#2 "Spending the night is optional"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships