Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:27 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,763,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
mush good advice lies in this post. i've made the mistake too of thinking that having lots of female friends will be great because they'll introduce me to their "hot" friends and all will be well. now i realize that it's just a fantasy and a total waste of time. not saying that men and women can't be friends - they can, it's just that no great purpose is served and you'll probably have a better time with your guy friends anyway.
This is something that is quite true. If you are put into the "friend zone," there's a good chance that the woman in question has done this in part because she does want many of the emotional benefits you have to offer: you're trustworthy, reliable, sweet, gentle, non-judgemental, etc. There's a good chance that she's using these traits of yours to help her get her fix while she actually dates guys who she thinks are OMG hawt!!! but whom have none of the above traits - if the guy in the friend zone is a "nice guy," the boyfriend is a "jerk" if you want to continue the theme that seems to keep popping up 'round these parts lately...

At the end of the day, you end up being an emotional boyfriend of sorts - after hard, hot sex with her boyfriend, he gets up and jets because he "needs to be up early tomorrow" or left his cat in the oven or something, and an argument ensues because she needs cuddle time. He's obstinate and is more or less like, "whatever honey, see you tomorrow. Oh, could you pick up some more condoms?"

So, what does she do? She calls up her bestest guy friend ever. She says she just got into it with her fella and really just needs to get out and talk about it. The friend-zoned fellow says, SWEET. This is perfect. He's just been a total jerkwad to her, and so when I take her out and am such a wonderful gentleman by comparison, she will surely decide that it's time to jump ship over to the light.

So, you pick her up - he never does that. He always makes her come to him, unless he knows he's getting laid.
You give her flowers, or maybe her favorite chocolate (which you know about because you listen to her, unlike him!) or a little plushie that lets her know you lov-er, care about her. He'd never even thought of doing this.
You ask her where she wants to go. He never does this, he just tells her where he wants to go.
You offer to foot the bill because it's been a rough night - he never does this.
You listen to everything she says and you offer heartfelt advice, which - you guessed it! - he never does.
And then you drop her off at home and she says, "thank you so much, you're such a sweetheart!"

And you smile for a minute before you realize she's not inviting you in. You've helped her, you've given her the strength - the strength to stay with her boyfriend.

You see, the two of you each have qualities of her ideal mate. He's got the looks and/or the "coolness" or that special "something" that gets her slippery. You've got the sweetness and dependability that warms her heart. Together, you form something that is, in her mind, much greater than the both of you.

Learn how to find a balance between the two and become the guy that she's looking for. That's the best possible thing you can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,735,108 times
+4 (bolded portion below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
mush good advice lies in this post. i've made the mistake too of thinking that having lots of female friends will be great because they'll introduce me to their "hot" friends and all will be well. now i realize that it's just a fantasy and a total waste of time. not saying that men and women can't be friends - they can, it's just that no great purpose is served and you'll probably have a better time with your guy friends anyway.

so yeah, if you want to meet girls, go with your male buddies. from what i've observed it just makes you look better in the eyes of the women. that said, i must disagree with the above poster when it comes to goin out alone. i've done it before and do it often when my buddies are up to un-interesting things or just out of town. never had a problem meeting girls, most have never even bothered to ask if i was there with someone. if they do, just say 'i'm new in town so don't know that many people yet'. works everytime.

some of my best nights out have been when i was alone. i've ended up making out with 10s, gotten numbers, dances, whatever. just be out to have a good time and things will happen.

also - don't bother giving your number out to a chic, if she refuses to give you her number, take that as a hint and move along. you can take it on good faith that she will never, ever call if you give her your number - unless you're a rock star, hehe.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:22 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,961,433 times
I don't date guys who think having a woman in their bed is more valuable than having her friendship. Works for me so far.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,195,956 times
Does it work for the guys you date?

Old 06-10-2013, 12:41 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,986,316 times
I think once I become friends with a guy, I'd rather them stay that way. My female friend keeps swearing by the concept of being "friends first". But I don't like taking guys out of the friend zone and I've tried. I learned that guy friends made it into the friend zone because there was something about their essence that was worthy of friendship and friendship alone. Not coming out.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:46 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,195,956 times
With that said, if I remained friends with every woman I've ever wanted to ask out, I'd have no time to date. Female friends can be a bit demanding of my time.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:10 PM

947 posts, read 1,182,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I don't date guys who think having a woman in their bed is more valuable than having her friendship. Works for me so far.
Well said, most of these posts in this thread have been unbelievable...

Old 06-10-2013, 10:43 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,698,288 times
No way, unless you want to be the shoulder she cries on without getting laid.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,735,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
True, but sometimes it can make a difference which order it goes in...I would typically imagine that "sweethearts first, friends after" can be a much easier path to bridge at times than "friends first, sweethearts after (or possibly never)". It can be a lot easier for a guy to be real friends with a girl he already loves, than for a girl who is friends with a guy to also like him romantically, after the fact...

Lol and plus, love is definitely not all about the bedding part, either

Old 06-10-2013, 11:03 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,803,323 times
i think friend zone is pretty much BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships