Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:53 PM

108 posts, read 181,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
If you guys have been friends all along and you suddenly find yourself developing feelings for her, that's one thing, but its still very tricky. You may find that she had a crush on you all along, but maybe not. You have to find a way to make it not awkward to stay friends like you were before if you find out the feelings aren't mutual.
Right. I never go into a friendship with other motives. Each time so far, I've just developed feelings for the friend. I guess the key is finding a way to make it not awkward, because it's of course too difficult to stay friends with someone you're infatuated with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 05:57 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzio1 View Post
Right. I never go into a friendship with other motives. Each time so far, I've just developed feelings for the friend. I guess the key is finding a way to make it not awkward, because it's of course too difficult to stay friends with someone you're infatuated with.
Or perhaps don't approach them as friends in the first place...

It's a double-edged sword, it seems - "conventional wisdom" says become friends first; but then you have the problem of friend-zoning. If you go for the gusto right off the bat, you pass up the deeper connection. A delicate balance.

It's why I like my goldfish.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Good thing not everybody knows what you do with your goldfish.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:00 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times
She knows within a few seconds of meeting you how close you will ever get to her. I think some women carry on the friendship thing, to see if you are worthy.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Good thing not everybody knows what you do with your goldfish.
It's why they have bubble-eyes, but we won't get into that...

Old 01-20-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Or perhaps don't approach them as friends in the first place...

It's a double-edged sword, it seems - "conventional wisdom" says become friends first; but then you have the problem of friend-zoning. If you go for the gusto right off the bat, you pass up the deeper connection. A delicate balance.

Well, I think my point was that in these particular scenarios, I wasn't initially attracted to the girl. Over time, however, as I began to know them more, I developed feelings for the girl.

This doesn't happen all the time. In fact, it hasn't happened that often. But, in those cases, I didn't see them as a date at first, so I wouldn't have gone for them right off the bat.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Well, I think my point was that in these particular scenarios, I wasn't initially attracted to the girl. Over time, however, as I began to know them more, I developed feelings for the girl.

This doesn't happen all the time. In fact, it hasn't happened that often. But, in those cases, I didn't see them as a date at first, so I wouldn't have gone for them right off the bat.
OK, thanks. I didn't get into this thread too much, perhaps because it hits too close to home.

*returns to his goldfish*

Old 01-20-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
...because it's of course too difficult to stay friends with someone you're infatuated with.
Maybe look at it from a different perspective...

Instead of using an "either/or" mindset - either they're a friend or an infatuation - build on the friendship. Extend it slowly, like you would a telescoping ladder; at the first sign of failure, back it down a notch or two.

Or, be willing to sacrifice the "friendship" aspect in hopes of gaining a deeper relationship. In that case, it's like double-or-nothing - you either walk away from the table a rich man, or totally broke.

If something is truly worth pursuing, you have to take risks.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Maybe look at it from a different perspective...

Instead of using an "either/or" mindset - either they're a friend or an infatuation - build on the friendship. Extend it slowly, like you would a telescoping ladder; at the first sign of failure, back it down a notch or two.

Or, be willing to sacrifice the "friendship" aspect in hopes of gaining a deeper relationship. In that case, it's like double-or-nothing - you either walk away from the table a rich man, or totally broke.

If something is truly worth pursuing, you have to take risks.
I like this.

In all cases thus far, I've taken the second option. It hasn't worked yet, but I think you put it perfectly, 'if something is truly worth pursuing, you have to take risks'. Unfortunately, when I get interested in someone, it's too difficult for me to back it down a notch or two. Well, I don't know if that's the correct way to put it. Maybe I just haven't learned how.

I guess my chief problem is avoiding these situations altogether. I need to find a way to muster up the courage to ask random girls out for dates, and *not* go about with my current method, which seems to be something along the lines of: live life. If I happen to stumble across someone that I do like (which has so far turned out to be a friend for whom I developed feelings), I wait until my feelings get to a certain point so that I pretty much have to force myself to ask them out. Of course, I'm sure everyone can point out many follies with this method. But I do think part of it does stem from my lack of courage, or my lack of proper self-esteem even.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
...I guess my chief problem is avoiding these situations altogether. I need to find a way to muster up the courage to ask random girls out for dates, and *not* go about with my current method, which seems to be something along the lines of: live life. If I happen to stumble across someone that I do like (which has so far turned out to be a friend for whom I developed feelings), I wait until my feelings get to a certain point so that I pretty much have to force myself to ask them out. Of course, I'm sure everyone can point out many follies with this method. But I do think part of it does stem from my lack of courage, or my lack of proper self-esteem even.
Eh, I wouldn't necessarily call it lack of courage or self-esteem; it's just your Way. The trick is to be in harmony with your own particular "operating system" so that you don't get the dreaded Blue Screen of Death.

I'm pretty much the same - I "go with the flow" and don't aggressively pursue someone unless they REALLY knock my socks off. That's happened maybe 4-5 times in my life. The rest of the time I can take it or leave it...it's when they really make an impact on me that all of that storybook stuff happens - shortness of breath, glazed expression, walking into walls, etc. - as opposed to the run-of-the-mill, "Eh, she's kinda nice"-type of attraction.

One is just a firecracker - the other, a weapon of mass destruction.

Maybe you could look into differentiating the feelings you get (and subsequently act upon) from those two ends of the spectrum...at least it might help you qualify which one is worth losing sleep over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships