Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 02:12 PM

37 posts, read 323,606 times

Advertisements

My best friend, who is in his late 20s, got a job as a college professor about a year ago. He works about 3 miles from home and about 15 miles from her parents home. I was just making conversation the other day and asked him if his parents and wife came by often to see her at work. His answer shocked me! He said, "no my folks and wife have never been to the college where I work." I am shocked. I had to follow up. I asked, "never once, you never just drove her or your local by to see the place?" He replied, never thought about it and they never asked."

Does this seem odd to you? The lack of curiousity of something connected to a love one's life (spouse or child). If I were married or a parent I would be very interested in seeing what my love one does and where they do it!

Would you want to see where your son or daughter, husband or wife works if it was a professional long term career job at a nearby employer? Or wouldn't you care?

How interested on a one to ten scale would you be to see your childrens or spouses place of work?

Last edited by In Serious Debt; 01-21-2011 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 02:15 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Serious Debt View Post
My best friend, who is in his late 20s, got a job as a college professor about a year ago. She works about 3 miles from home and about 15 miles from her parents home. I was just making conversation the other day and asked him if his parents and wife came by often to see her at work. His answer shocked me! He said, "no my folks and wife have never been to the college where I work." I am shocked. I had to follow up. I asked, "never once, you never just drove her or your local by to see the place?" He replied, never thought about it and they never asked."

Does this seem odd to you? Would you want to see where your son or daughter, husband or wife works if it was a professional long term career job at a nearby employer? Or wouldn't you care?
my wife works at the same place i do. my parents were in here years ago for "family day" . you need a security badge to get in so you really just can't have someone come visit.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:16 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
My husband has seen where I work. I believe his car was in the shop so he picked me up in my car and we went to go pick up the car. He met a few of my co workers.
My parents have not; they are in their late 60s and don't go out too far from home.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:20 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,944 times
Quote:
My best friend, who is in his late 20s, got a job as a college professor about a year ago. She works about 3 miles from home and about 15 miles from her parents home. I was just making conversation the other day and asked him if his parents and wife came by often to see her at work. His answer shocked me! He said, "no my folks and wife have never been to the college where I work." I am shocked. I had to follow up. I asked, "never once, you never just drove her or your local by to see the place?" He replied, never thought about it and they never asked."

Does this seem odd to you? Would you want to see where your son or daughter, husband or wife works if it was a professional long term career job at a nearby employer? Or wouldn't you care?

My boyfriend has seen my place of work..but he cant get passed the lobby because of security reason IBM rule..lol
I have been by his place of work...which is Ball aerospace
We do the same line of work..and we cant go past the lobby at both jobs..lol

Last edited by jeepgirl27; 01-21-2011 at 03:48 PM..

Old 01-21-2011, 02:33 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
My husband and I used to work at the same place and now our offices are a block apart. I have taken him on a little tour of my building, but his is very difficult to get into and I have only been in the lobby. All our parents have seen our buildings (the outsides, anyway) when they came to visit us, and when we lived nearby (that's when we worked at the same office), they came to take us to lunch a lot.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:34 PM

346 posts, read 968,113 times
My dad has been in my work a few times. Some extended family has come to visit as well. I sit right next to the front door, so it wasn't like they were roaming around. It's a small place anyway.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
I've only been to my husbands workplace once.

When I worked, he would come in all the time (to pick up the kids). He'd pop in my office and hang out for a bit.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:01 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
I think I brought the dh in once on a weekend. We have security as well and a badge is needed to get in the building, so he can't just pop by. My parents haven't seen my work, but they live a few states away.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:01 PM

37 posts, read 323,606 times
I can not believe the answers so far. I thought everyone had at least driven by their spouses place of work to at a minimum say, "hey there where I work." To me part of love is curiousity. If my spouse is going to come home and talk about their day at the office or the factory or the store, basic courtesy would have your husband or wife show an interest in a place you go every day. I would want to picture where she sat and better understand the environment she is in 8 hours a day five days a week. Doesn't this seem logical?

Now I understand if security would not allow visitors then a drive by would be fine. But wow!

Old 01-21-2011, 03:04 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
I can not believe the answers so far. I thought everyone had at least driven by their spouses place of work to at a minimum say, "hey there where I work."

Now I understand if security would not allow visitors then a drive by would be fine. But wow!
Looks like everybody has seen their spouses workplace or either can't go in too far because of security. Also, some folks do not have a significant other so you may see other family members in the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships