Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:44 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
In FORTY YEARS, you don’t think she would be able to find anyone who could stand her enough that they might love her? That’s a lot of time and a lot of people she could meet in that time.
Even if she were saintly and the most beautiful woman in existence, her pool of possible suitors would be greatly diminished by her circumstances. Then comes the age factor, and the fact that the pool of men dwindles greatly as they age - the sex ratio skews in favor of men, as in more women competing for fewer men. Then you add the fact that she has children and that she has created bad karma for herself because of the way she cavalierly ignored her mate and family because she was "bored" and wanted "excitement," and I come to the conclusion that she very well may end up old, alone and unloved, and you know what? It would serve her right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Even if she were saintly and the most beautiful woman in existence, her pool of possible suitors would be greatly diminished by her circumstances. Then comes the age factor, and the fact that the pool of men dwindles greatly as they age - the sex ratio skews in favor of men, as in more women competing for fewer men. Then you add the fact that she has children
So you’re saying all women her age who suddenly find themselves single again - whether by their own doing or not - are doomed to live a life of loneliness?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:53 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Quote:
Ever seen a forty plus man with a bad rug and a gold earring driving a red Ferrari?
You sound like you just saw Jay Leno.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Obviously anyone can find an exception but is that the rule in our society, currently or in the past? No.
I don't think it's nearly the exception you think it is. I care nothing for the portrayal of my age demographic in the media, I started dating at 42 (I have no kids though), and was surprised at the number of guys a decade and younger who asked me out. It equalled the group my age and older.

I flat out asked the guys what's up with the cougar hunting, and most replyed that they could care less about age, and a bunch of other really interesting and inciteful answers.

It's not just me, a lot of women I know date and or asked out by younger age group.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
So you’re saying all women her age who suddenly find themselves single again - whether by their own doing or not - are doomed to live a life of loneliness?
Well, the lady in question is single of her own volition. Remember, she was married, and SHE decided to end it. She chose to be single, so there is nothing sudden about this at all. I sincerely hope she does have an empty, lonely life, because she brought it on herself.

I am not so pessimistic about those women whose single status is not of their own making, but it doesn't seem great for them either. My mom has been suddenly single since her mid-30s and, aside from two relatively early relationships, has not found anyone serious for the past 30 years or so. The numbers are just not right for her.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:51 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
This is ammunition for anti-marriage supporters. This is why marriage is seen as a joke to many people...No one honors their vows anymore...I'm bored with you so I guess I'll call it quits Stuff like this makes me glad that I'm single because I don't want to give my best to a woman and all of a sudden she blindsides me with this nonsense.
I'd love to say all is great in the world and marriage is fantastic, especially considering that being a Christian and all, but it isn't something to do lightly.

Unfortunately I have quite a few male friends that one day they came home and found the wife had cleaned them out, took everything. One of my friends who recently died, he was a reasonably successful man, provided everything to his wife and one day he literally came home and found that everything in all his accounts had been drained. With no cash to make payroll or do anything his businesses collapsed quickly.

When it was all said and done she basically got away with it. He tried to start over and he did, but it's a struggle to go back to blue collar work at 60. I think he just overdid it and his heart couldn't take it anymore. He passed away 2 weeks ago. He was a good man and a big help to me.

To me to invest all that time and effort in building a family and a successful life together and then to have the other person walk off with a flippant attitude, well that has to be hard to take.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:06 AM

22 posts, read 30,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Well, the lady in question is single of her own volition. Remember, she was married, and SHE decided to end it. She chose to be single, so there is nothing sudden about this at all. I sincerely hope she does have an empty, lonely life, because she brought it on herself.

I am not so pessimistic about those women whose single status is not of their own making, but it doesn't seem great for them either. My mom has been suddenly single since her mid-30s and, aside from two relatively early relationships, has not found anyone serious for the past 30 years or so. The numbers are just not right for her.
I feel the same way. She discarded her husband like trash and didn't care about his happiness. She has set herself up for the consequences of her actions. By the way, most second marriages end in divorce at even higher rate than first marriages.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:06 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't think it's nearly the exception you think it is. I care nothing for the portrayal of my age demographic in the media, I started dating at 42 (I have no kids though), and was surprised at the number of guys a decade and younger who asked me out. It equalled the group my age and older.

I flat out asked the guys what's up with the cougar hunting, and most replyed that they could care less about age, and a bunch of other really interesting and inciteful answers.

It's not just me, a lot of women I know date and or asked out by younger age group.
Notice I pointed out that if a man is looking to have children or doesn't want to care for another man's children(assuming that woman has children around), a 30 year old man is not going to seek out a 42 year old woman for a LTR. I think that's the third time I've had to make that clear.

Sure I have no problem "dating" women in their 40's, maybe 50's and I've met a few 60 year olds I'd hit the springs with, but looking to them for long term relationships or to have children, obviously no. I'm in my mid 30's so looking up at that demographic, definitely those women as bed buddies, activity partners, etc, cool, but my serious efforts are directed at younger women.

From talking with other men my age and also what I see in regular life, that's how it pans out in most cases.

If you are an attractive "cougar" and all you want is some wild stud action and a good time, great, but I would say chances are against you thinking some 30 year old is going to marry you.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:41 AM

22 posts, read 30,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I'd love to say all is great in the world and marriage is fantastic, especially considering that being a Christian and all, but it isn't something to do lightly.

Unfortunately I have quite a few male friends that one day they came home and found the wife had cleaned them out, took everything. One of my friends who recently died, he was a reasonably successful man, provided everything to his wife and one day he literally came home and found that everything in all his accounts had been drained. With no cash to make payroll or do anything his businesses collapsed quickly.

When it was all said and done she basically got away with it. He tried to start over and he did, but it's a struggle to go back to blue collar work at 60. I think he just overdid it and his heart couldn't take it anymore. He passed away 2 weeks ago. He was a good man and a big help to me.

To me to invest all that time and effort in building a family and a successful life together and then to have the other person walk off with a flippant attitude, well that has to be hard to take.
I am very sorry to hear about your friend. What his wife did to him was evil. She may have no conscience and got away with her actions, but she will have to face God's judgment. Many, if not most, professing Christians seem clueless about what the Bible really says about divorce.

Mark 10:11-12:

"He (Jesus) answered, 'Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery.'”

Ecclesiastes 5:4-5:

"When you make a vow to God, do not delay to fulfill it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow. It is better not to make a vow than to make one and not fulfill it."

Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Vows???? That is so antiquated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships