U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,870,188 times

Advertisements

A co-worker of mine recently told me that she's getting a divorce after 20+ years of marriage. She and her husband have a 13 year old and a 5 year old. I asked her why and she says because she feels too tied down, that she never got to have fun when she was young because she got married at age 20. Neither she nor her husband were cheating, she was just bored with him and says she never really loved him. She says he's a good man and a good father but she married for security and wants to see what else is out there. She can't wait for the divorce to be final so she can go out and date again and next time marry for love (she won't date before the marriage is legally over and has nobody in mind).

I think she's nuts and I feel really sorry for her husband who apparently did not want the divorce but isn't making a fuss over it because it was obvious his wife had her mind made up. They've already reached an amicable agreement about custody.

It just seems crazy to me

I've seen a couple threads recently, from men, basically saying the same thing. I think they're nuts too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:14 PM

7,370 posts, read 12,764,126 times
She's going to be in for a big surprise when she re-enters the dating market. I guarantee that within a few years she will be crying herself to sleep, wishing she had stayed with her husband. And by then, he will have moved on and will be happy and in a new relationship.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:16 PM

4,868 posts, read 7,364,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
She's going to be in for a big surprise when she re-enters the dating market. I guarantee that within a few years she will be crying herself to sleep, wishing she had stayed with her husband. And by then, he will have moved on and will be happy and in a new relationship.
I'm only 24 and I completely agree with you.

Why do people get married anymore? seriously!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:21 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,626,136 times
this is so sad. maybe they should try separation for a short while and agree to let her date (but not sleep) with other people, just so she can see what she is giving up. i know that sounds weird/unconventional, but she is talking about breaking her family up for no really good reason other than boredom.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:35 PM

343 posts, read 459,108 times
I'm sorry to say how true this is. Beware men looking for a 'sure' thing with a young one. She wasn't jaded or bitter when they met but look where being a nice guy got you.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 PM

969 posts, read 2,290,704 times
The grass is always browner

Old 01-22-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I'm only 24 and I completely agree with you.

Why do people get married anymore? seriously!
Plenty of people get married, love being married, and live happy lives. People just don't talk about it because it doesn't make interesting conversation.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Plenty of people get married, love being married, and live happy lives. People just don't talk about it because it doesn't make interesting conversation.
I know and that's sad! I actually love hearing about happy marriages and happy couples! it makes me hopeful that it'll happen to me.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I know and that's sad! I actually love hearing about happy marriages and happy couples! it makes me hopeful that it'll happen to me.
So start a thread asking for people to describe their happy marriages and what they have done to be successful. Those people might enjoy the opportunity to brag. (And I don't mean "brag" in a bad way.)

Old 01-22-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
So start a thread asking for people to describe their happy marriages and what they have done to be successful. Those people might enjoy the opportunity to brag. (And I don't mean "brag" in a bad way.)
Great idea! haha. I'll do it tomorrow, I'm getting ready to go to bed now (yes on a saturday night).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or