Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:09 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times

Advertisements

Oy vey...

Axle your suggestion has been duly noted.

Yes a watch does serve a purpose. For me, if I am taking vitals, I do it the old fashioned way... A second hand is helpful.

BTW that reminds me. I am in need of a new watch. The one I have now was giving to me by my former mother in law... I think it should be traded in or dumped or something.

And I like rings too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 12:09 AM

570 posts, read 882,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Many jobs don't even allow cell phones in the building, and they are hardly obscure career fields.

Do you personally know a watch hoarder? It sounds like you just want to look down on people. Your gripe is that watches only tell time for one person. I assume this means you share your cell phone with those around you?

???? Most of the work places that don't allow cell phones.. Are FILLED WITH COMPUTERS.... As well as properly placed wall clocks..

There is no reason to have a watch in there..

Old 01-23-2011, 12:10 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
There is no practical use for bracelets or jewelery. They are only there to look pretty or "important" or rich..

That is what I'm saying. Most people that still wear watches, are only doing so b.c a watch MAKES YOU LOOK IMPORTANT.. b.c your TIME is important.... It's a societal judgment... Just as jewelry is..

The anti hoarder is someone who doesn't waste space by keeping unnecessary items. If you can tell time on the cell phone you carry with you every day, there is no reason for a watch or to own a watch.
A cell phone is also an unnecessary item. Just sayin. I don't understand why you waste your time passing judgment on what others choose to own and wear, but have at it.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:12 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
???? Most of the work places that don't allow cell phones.. Are FILLED WITH COMPUTERS.... As well as properly placed wall clocks..

Yeah right. Not every job has a computer. Not everyone sits behind a computer all the time.

Talk about useless things... I am starting to think that the .. .. ...

Hoarders... My ex wife was aweful that way. There were rooms where you couldn't even walk into because she had so much junk. It was an awesome day when she moved out.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:14 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
Quote:
I'm the type of person that will throw things away or give them away if I know there is a good probability I won't use the things within the next 6 months or so... hell, within even the next 2 weeks or so..

I hate clutter.

I believe that material possessions are traps.

I hate jewelry/watches, b.c there is no practical uses for them. A cell phone has practical uses. The only time you should own a watch , is if you refuse to own a cell phone.

I've lived with people that never threw much away. They'd say, "what if I need that sometime" , or "that could be worth money someday" ...

I believe that freedom = nothing to lose.

The more crap you have, the more loans you have, the less free you are.

If a woman ever tried putting me into big debt for dumb possessions, she would not be my woman.

Your thoughts? Funny stories, or experiences? You have hoarding tendencies?
i think i love you.

total agreement.

i am inherently suspicious of very messy people, and people with too much stuff. and lets face it, those things go together more often than not.

reminds me of a poem roky erickson wrote about his whole house, and all the shadows and dust and "bad things". his mom was a hoarder. hoarding is the material equivalent of being grossly overweight. whenever i date a man i know to carry it further or not by the state of his car. it could be 30 years old and a heap, but you can still keep a car clean and not throw your burger wrappers on the floor. a car is a good first indicator of any problems like hoarding.

personally, after a very bad roommate experience when i was 18 wherein they kept about 70 percent of my stuff, i have tended to look at possessions as ballast. im not as bad as i used to be, but i used to think, 'can i carry this out on my back when i swim to safety in the coming deluge?" i would read books, and then get rid of them. i got rid of my old sewing machine and bought one of those tiny little handhelds. i got rid of my clock because i had an alarm on my cell phone. i naturally tend to condense and buy multiuse-items. i have a knife, flashlight and bottleopener combo on my key ring. i can fit everything i own in my van, which i have lived in. nothing like the security of having a bed and sink on wheels.

hoarding. its not considered mental illness for nothin.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:15 AM

3,511 posts, read 5,307,005 times
Don't get too jealous and mad guys. This MANLY MAN still says........ (((("OH F***")))) when THAT happens! LOL LOL

Old 01-23-2011, 12:18 AM

570 posts, read 882,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Yeah right. Not every job has a computer. Not everyone sits behind a computer all the time.

Talk about useless things... I am starting to think that the .. .. ...

Hoarders... My ex wife was aweful that way. There were rooms where you couldn't even walk into because she had so much junk. It was an awesome day when she moved out.
I've already stated multiple times in THIS SAME THREAD, that if you have a real PRACTICAL reason to wear a watch that it is FINE with me...

However, the majority of circumstances these days, a watch is USELESS.. B.c a computer/wall clock/ or cell phone will already be there instead...

Old 01-23-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:

Maybe they need to keep track of the time while they are in the bathroom. Can't take your computer in the stall with you!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:20 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
I'm the type of person that will throw things away or give them away if I know there is a good probability I won't use the things within the next 6 months or so... hell, within even the next 2 weeks or so..

I hate clutter.

I believe that material possessions are traps.

I hate jewelry/watches, b.c there is no practical uses for them. A cell phone has practical uses. The only time you should own a watch , is if you refuse to own a cell phone.

I've lived with people that never threw much away. They'd say, "what if I need that sometime" , or "that could be worth money someday" ...

I believe that freedom = nothing to lose.

The more crap you have, the more loans you have, the less free you are.

If a woman ever tried putting me into big debt for dumb possessions, she would not be my woman.

Your thoughts? Funny stories, or experiences? You have hoarding tendencies?

I am not a Horder, but I could be. (I am not the 'conventional definition'... you may think so.)

If the USD was a safer solution I'd have more of my assets there, insted it's in Safety Deposit boxes, safes, and collectibles in Stacked boxes (Tupperware)

Out of my 2 bedroom apartment everything excepting the spair looks 'normal'. That room is neatly stacked, excepting what's laying out to be worked on (It's also a workroom)
-I should add... I'm talking 'normal' like someone who spent years living in a barracks with weekly inspections. People are impressed when they see it because they do not expect a bachelor to live so neat.

Now that you have a point of reference:

Material possessions ARE traps, but the LACK of resources are a worse trap.

If we are in the middle of the Sahara... which is worse? Having water you need to transport, or not having any?

Debt does not enter into this equation. I have none.

...You say 6 months.
So I'd assume you have no Christmas decorations?
(As just one example)

I've needed things after a year or 2, hell, I've bought things which I KNEW I wasn't going to use for that period... and did very well by avoiding the increase in prices.

Oh, right now I am watch less... Using a cell phone sux.
It's A LOT easier and 'less rude' to look at your wrist.
Need to find a new one I like....

I find your choice of wording interesting, you do NOT say "I do not need" But insted say: "The only time YOU should..."

Old 01-23-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I've already stated multiple times in THIS SAME THREAD, that if you have a real PRACTICAL reason to wear a watch that it is FINE with me...

However, the majority of circumstances these days, a watch is USELESS.. B.c a computer/wall clock/ or cell phone will already be there instead...
Really? That is "fine with you." I didn't realize anyone needed your permission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships