U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 PM

42 posts, read 30,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
And I'd be glad I didn't get stuck with his debts.

Well I don't know that for sure yet. Even if you're divorced, creditors can still come after you for the deceased's debts. I'm just praying that that will be a non-issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 04:20 AM

2,743 posts, read 1,346,033 times
If he had brain cancer, I am sure he didn't know what he was doing half of the time.
Forget about the family that doesn't want you there, remember the good about this man and pay your last respects to him. Forgive him and say goodbye. Sit there all night if you need too but not in the front and don't tell anybody you are sorry about their loss because you are dealing with and trying to work through your own loss. You need to say goodbye and they have no right to judge you.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:29 AM

7 posts, read 5,591 times
Abetterday, I do understand how you feel. One just doesn't end a marriage as if it had never happened. You mentioned that you only divorced for 9 weeks, I'm sure you're still having lots of emotions attached. If you feel like going, by all mean, you should. Even if you're no longer considered part of the family, they have no rights to prevent you attending as a friend. Please also remember that none of you (the ex-wives) is officially his widow. Socially speaking, you are all having the same status. If they are attending, why not you. If you run into them, greet them and say something nice. If they act improperly, just smile and simply turn away. Treat them as one of the guest and you'll be quite alright. However, I still think you should keep a low profile under the circumstances. Don't arrive too early to shorten interaction with his family. Take a middle or back seat to avoid attention. Greet everyone you knew gracefully. Approach anyone you feel like approaching. Just act normal, be subtle and try your best to stay out of confrontation with anyone. If you are just trying to show you respect, there is nothing to be ashamed of. If you are attending the interment, try taking your own car to prevent yourself being stuck at the backseat with a bunch of strangers. If you have children (with him), stay close to them to offer your supports. When it is over, greet the family and leave. Other than that, wear something simple (in black or grey) and put on your most comfortable pair of pumps. That's all you need to do. I hope it helps.

BTW, my ex-husband also recently passed (predeceased by my late husband last August). I handled both of their arrangements - for the sake of my two daughters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships