Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:17 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,064 times

Advertisements

On my own I decided to "reinvent myself" several times during my life. For example I was shy and chubby and painfully self-conscious when I was young. I spent a lot of years feeling sorry for myself and blaming others for my "social awkwardness."...But I finally woke-up at some point and realized that I just wasn't a very interesting person...I didn't have much to offer others...Little by little I forced myself out of my shell and started to show more interest in other people. I developed better communication skills and a sense of humor. Everything wasn't "about me" anymore...I taught myself how to reach out and connect with others....Anyway I decided to "reinvent myself" at various points throughout my life for various reasons and changed my personality and lifestyle...I have to "reinvent myself"all over again today since I am a recent widow. I have to ask myself "who I want to be" now and think about how I want to spend my time as a single person once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
On my own I decided to "reinvent myself" several times during my life. For example I was shy and chubby and painfully self-conscious when I was young. I spent a lot of years feeling sorry for myself and blaming others for my "social awkwardness."...But I finally woke-up at some point and realized that I just wasn't a very interesting person...I didn't have much to offer others...Little by little I forced myself out of my shell and started to show more interest in other people. I developed better communication skills and a sense of humor. Everything wasn't "about me" anymore...I taught myself how to reach out and connect with others....Anyway I decided to "reinvent myself" at various points throughout my life for various reasons and changed my personality and lifestyle...I have to "reinvent myself"all over again today since I am a recent widow. I have to ask myself "who I want to be" now and think about how I want to spend my time as a single person once again.

Good for you!

Too bad some of the young guys on this thread haven't learned this yet

Old 01-26-2011, 10:17 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Good for you!

Too bad some of the young guys on this thread haven't learned this yet
Thanks...I try to monitor myself. If I catch myself "playing victim" or "poor me" or "suffering martyr" for too long I know that I need to process my feelings and let them all come out...Then I "re-group" and try to figure out what I want and need in order to be happier...I can't bring my husband back...He's gone now. I still have grief to work through but I can't let myself lay down and "die too." And I don't want to be a "downer" or "down" all the time. Nobody wants to be around people who play "non-stop victims." It's a big "turn-off." Don't you think?

Old 01-26-2011, 10:40 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
Whenever people find anyone who is unsuccessful at attracting women on this forum; there tends to be a lot of answers saying "improve yourself" or "fix yourself" or "get some life experience".

The last one basically means: Do tons of crap that has nothing to do with anything and see if life changes, if it doesn't; keep on going till you're dead.

So let's play with the idea that I were to follow any of the first two;
what the hell do I do then?
I've done what I can about my looks, body odor etc, I'm getting an education, etc
I mean it's not like I can pick up a new personality at the convenient store, is it?
Well how far are you willing to compromise yourself in order to get the girl you want?

Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,141,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
How about just smiling and being helpful . . . being kind . . . opening doors, carrying stuff . . . learning a hobby that you enjoy (cooking?, woodwork?). Being actually interested in other people helps a lot! Strike up conversations in bank lines and post office lines for practice . . . have eye contact with people . . . be nice and actually care about other people.
Good advice. One thing I like to do is to compliment at least 1 stranger on something every day. Not only does it make me feel better (self-improved), but I've made some good friends over time by doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships