Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 03:15 PM

29,696 posts, read 34,240,753 times

Advertisements

Mostly it bothers me when "female" is used as a noun in a non-scientific context. You're female, not *a* female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 03:21 PM

399 posts, read 972,654 times
I get annoyed at being referred to as a "male." I'm a man, not a German Shepherd. Same thing with the word "female." People think it makes them sound erudite or something. It doesn't.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:26 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,596,581 times
Witness the dearth of topics on Relationships...

Old 01-26-2011, 03:34 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,298,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
Drive anyone else NUTS???

That is a huge pet peeve of mine, and I (generally) don't get too hung up on names/words/figures of speech.

Whenever I hear a man referring to a woman as a "female," I want to interrupt him and say "You know we're not sexing chickens here, right??"

It also feels slightly sexist (depending on the context of course).
Yes. My husband HATES it. He said "It limits women to animal terminology rather than human terminology which is "woman or women". It just refers to gender parts when "woman" means so much more than that. He even prefers "b*tch" because that at least refers to personality.

And it's technical term mostly used by idiots.

I think it sounds dumb but I don't really care.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:34 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,541,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
well I am a female soooo what's to be offended about?
Way to go. Some people like to pick on every little semantic issue. There are many ways to use a word so if female is said in a degrading way I can see but to say it to a woman why be offended as you said. The language is in constant change. Terms like calling a woman girl did not offend women in the past but now it does and I venture to guess that eventually it will stopped being used. Now it seems many women are called female and there is someone now dissecting the issue and getting offended. It seems people always find ways to get offended, take care.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,042,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mintjulep View Post
I get annoyed at being referred to as a "male." I'm a man, not a German Shepherd. Same thing with the word "female." People think it makes them sound erudite or something. It doesn't.
It makes them sound like the as@holes they are and I believe it IS an intentional choice. Well, that's aside from the ghetto guys who don't even know any better.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:37 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,075,240 times
Not really been referred to as "female" before.

could someone give me a sentence where one would say "female"?

Old 01-26-2011, 03:38 PM

11,379 posts, read 24,385,676 times
I think it's a carry over from people who have been in the prison system or the military.

It is a little dehumanizing and annoys me too. Just because a large percentage of our population has been in one or another doesn't mean we need to follow that example... don't get me started or someone will take offense.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:43 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,983,037 times
Being called a Male/Female is not that a big deal though.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:48 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,541,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I think it's a carry over from people in the prison system or in the military.

It is a little dehumanizing and annoys me too. Just because a large percentage of our population has been in one or another doesn't mean we need to follow that example... don't get me started or someone will take offense.
I just retired from the Army after 32 years of service and I don't recall ever hearing someone calling a woman by "female", ever. I have used the term if someone has asked the the gender of a Soldier and I as many other reply "Female". Female is an appropriate term that can be used for women in describing their gender, not just for animals.
If you go to dictionary.com you will see that the term also applies to women. As I wrote before any term can be offensive depending on the intent of the one saying it and the other person sees the offensive intent but in other cases it is very appropriate, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships