Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:43 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No I wouldn't. I bought him his wedding ring which he loves and wears daily - he would NEVER in a million years wear an engagement ring. He's not a jewelry kind of guy and I didn't ask him to marry me
He’s wearing the ring you got him, don’t see that big of a difference if you bought an engagement ring. It’s still a ring.

Quote:
He asked me to marry him. If I had done the asking, I would probably have given him some sort of lasting token, but not a ring and certainly not a TV
So he wanted to marry you but you didn’t want to marry him? If both want to get married I don’t see what holds women from doing all those things they expect/demand from their man. Imagine if he didn’t do any house chores because “Hey! She’s the one that said yes when I proposed so” or if he said that it is a woman’s job to do the house chores just like women say it is a man’s job to do all the things already mentioned in this thread. Not nice, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 06:12 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
No I'm not referring to you at all.
Ok, sorry your use of the word 'you' threw me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
He’s wearing the ring you got him, don’t see that big of a difference if you bought an engagement ring. It’s still a ring.

So he wanted to marry you but you didn’t want to marry him? If both want to get married I don’t see what holds women from doing all those things they expect/demand from their man. Imagine if he didn’t do any house chores because “Hey! She’s the one that said yes when I proposed so” or if he said that it is a woman’s job to do the house chores just like women say it is a man’s job to do all the things already mentioned in this thread. Not nice, huh?
If I hadn't wanted to marry him, I wouldn't have said yes! I am just saying that as he was the one asking he was the one who bought the ring. Simple as that.
I don't think that who does household chores has anything what-so-ever to do with engagement rings. Who does what within the home is a totally separate issue although I see that you're trying to steer this conversation to a 'man's role vs Women's role' type of conversation.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:15 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
So he wanted to marry you but you didn’t want to marry him? If both want to get married I don’t see what holds women from doing all those things they expect/demand from their man.
Probably that men don’t typically wear or want engagement rings, which are considered to be women's jewelry. Hoboken just said her husband did not want a ring, so why do you insist that she should have bought one? Not every man wants to be treated like a woman. It's like your former questions about chivalry and why don’t women pull out chairs for men and help them with their coats and order their food: some men don’t want us to.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:16 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
I'm not into jewelry so much, but I do want a bigger rock. I would also like some pearls. Go figure.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:19 PM

Lol justjulia, I bought my husband flowers once when I went to pick him up at the airport. He was pleased but kind of embarrassed. He told me that flower buying in the future was his job! Lol.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:21 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Princess here with a flashy ring. Well, I think it's flashy...I like flashy, that's why I asked for it. Had the "flashy" wedding too, although it wasn't really all that flashy by NY standards. Still own the tiara, but I hardly wear it these days. I don't want folks to get the wrong impression.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Lol justjulia, I bought my husband flowers once when I went to pick him up at the airport. He was pleased but kind of embarrassed. He told me that flower buying in the future was his job! Lol.

LOL I pick my husband up at the airport a lot after international trips. If I ever showed up with flowers for him he'd look at me and say "That's nice, but did you bring any beer and pretzels!?"

Old 01-27-2011, 06:26 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
I would love to see a big, manly man showing his diamond engagement ring to his friends. "Ooh, Jim, is that an emerald cut?" "Why, no, Bob, it's a cushion cut. Nora picked it out." "It's a real beaut, Jim."

Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
LOL I pick my husband up at the airport a lot after international trips. If I ever showed up with flowers for him he'd look at me and say "That's nice, but did you bring any beer and pretzels!?"
I think that's kind of what he thought!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
No I wouldn't. I bought him his wedding ring which he loves and wears daily - he would NEVER in a million years wear an engagement ring. He's not a jewelry kind of guy and I didn't ask him to marry me. He asked me to marry him. If I had done the asking, I would probably have given him some sort of lasting token, but not a ring and certainly not a TV.

And no I wouldn't spend crazy money on 'the biggest 3D LED TV' as an engagement gift. That's not something special that will last him a life time. We exchanged gifts on our wedding day - he bought be a diamond heart necklace which I wear every day and I bought him some personalized Tiffany cuff links.
I do buy him the electronic stuff he likes, but only for birthday's, Christmas, valentine's and stuff like that. His Christmas present this year was a new iPod.
Same...he is NOT a jewelry guy (his wedding ring will probably be the only jewelry he ever wears...I got him a watch our first Christmas together, and he wore it to be nice, but now that we've been together longer, I know that he doesn't so much as wear a watch. I also don't do electronics as "romance" type gifts. I generally get him his electronic toys for Christmas or his birthday. This past Christmas, I got him an e-reader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships