Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 01:29 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
What she is saying (to put it succinctly) is that if he fixed her problems then she'd have nothing to complain about and this would make her unhappy.

How's that?

No wonder single men, over 35, are so happy.
What's interesting is that you, and few other specific guys on this forum, are the only folk that come to mind for me that complain over and over and over about the same thing. It never ends. It's your miserable lives and women... over and over and blame, blame, blame. JHC, that would drive me nuts to be within close proximity on a daily basis.

This answers the questions I had for Denny. It's not gender based. That's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 01:59 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Being succinct you would say: "I don't like you guys because you speak the truth!"

Old 01-29-2011, 02:01 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
My husband was in the fire dept. There were a few men on the force who had a tendency to whine and complain and play "poor me" when things didn't go "their way." Thank goodness all the men didn't act this way. My husband got tired of having to listen to them. I think there are both men and women who like to play "suffering martyrs."

Old 01-29-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Being succinct you would say: "I don't like you guys because you speak the truth!"
Not really. I kind of like that it's your truth because the lot of you deserve what you get. Although, on some days I feel a bit more compassion and feel bad for you.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:54 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
So, you think that if you did not set limits your partner, any partner?, would whine out of control indefinitely?

Why exactly would you choose to date someone that complains 24/7? Or, is this just a part of the human condition? If not, such a personality, I would guess, would be riddled with dozens of peccadilloes that you would have to set limits on.
It varies from person to person. Some people whine more than others. And I don't think it's exclusive to women. As you correctly pointed out, men are just as capable of whining about the same things over and over. But I do think it's important to set limits on just how much whining you're willing to tolerate from someone. People don't always realize when they've crossed the line. Imagine you're in a restaurant and you're talking too loud. But no has told you. Would you realize that you're talking too loud? Maybe. But if no one's complained, you might assume that you're OK. It's the same with whining. I could come home and whine about my day. How I hate my job, how my boss is an idiot, how awful traffic was, etc. If my partner just sits there and listens, then how will I know she's getting tired of hearing it? How will I know that it's making her feel miserable to hear it all the time? That's why I think it's so important to set limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
DennyCrane, in my experience, ignoring a need does not make it go away. It comes back stronger.
I'm not saying you have to ignore it. What I am saying, however, is that you have to be willing to look out for your own interests. If your partner is constantly whining and it's wearing you out, then staying in a toxic environment isn't the answer. Obviously, ignoring the problem isn't the solution either, at least not in the long run. In the short run, however, walking away can be one of the best things you could do for yourself. Plus, it establishes that your partner has reached your limit. Yes, you have to be respectful of how you set those limits. Simply saying "quit your whining" isn't going to help matters. In fact, it's likely to make things worse. But respect is a two-way street. You can be respectful in setting those limits, but your partner has to be respectful by acknowledging that there are in fact limits and that their whining does affect you.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
She either conforms or goes away. Either one works fine.
Interesting. Where does the part come in where YOU conform?

Old 01-29-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It varies from person to person. Some people whine more than others. And I don't think it's exclusive to women. As you correctly pointed out, men are just as capable of whining about the same things over and over. But I do think it's important to set limits on just how much whining you're willing to tolerate from someone. People don't always realize when they've crossed the line. Imagine you're in a restaurant and you're talking too loud. But no has told you. Would you realize that you're talking too loud? Maybe. But if no one's complained, you might assume that you're OK. It's the same with whining. I could come home and whine about my day. How I hate my job, how my boss is an idiot, how awful traffic was, etc. If my partner just sits there and listens, then how will I know she's getting tired of hearing it? How will I know that it's making her feel miserable to hear it all the time? That's why I think it's so important to set limits.
This comes down to self-awareness imo. Some, for example, would never dream of talking on a cell phone at a restaurant or in a movie theater. They would be aware of how loud they're speaking in a restaurant (barring a hearing problem). They know what's appropriate and when. Some folk are concerned with how they affect others while also being capable of picking up on social cues. Also, they are able to learn from others. I suppose this is a matter of social intelligence and it bleeds into the entire personality. My mom, god bless her, is not aware of how loud she is where ever. If I call her and she's at a restaurant she'll pick up the phone and tell me about the dinner she's having. I always immediately hang up because I know it's inconsiderate. She's not only socially inept in that arena, but elsewhere. The trait is indicative of a particular kind of personality. Now, I love her, but I would never marry someone like her. lol

If someone is complaining about a problem at work and you're not interested in hearing about it, that will be reflected in how engaged you are in the conversation. If she's just talking at you and doesn't notice that glazed look in your eyes, then she's not a mindful person. If she further doesn't care about your obvious non-reaction, again, I don't know why you would bother with her.

The only time I've found that I may have needed to set limits with a partner while communicating is if the person was impaired (drunk/high). If such behavior was a natural part of his/her disposition, I don't think I would stick around long enough to bother. Of course, we're all willing to put up with different things from people. What doesn't drive me batty about a spouse might drive you batty.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:22 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Interesting. Where does the part come in where YOU conform?
I don't. Too strong willed.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
So it follows, then, that you'll only become involved with the weak-willed?

Old 01-29-2011, 03:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Or people who already do things my way before I even met them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships