Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 10:59 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I'm talking about the situations where I think she's wrong, where I think she's responsible for creating her own problems.
You can think all you want! That's not harmful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 11:00 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You can think all you want! That's not harmful!
Right!

I know you're joking, but you do get it.

If I sit there and DON'T LISTEN then I won't be faced with this sh*tty choice of having to either lie to her ("I feel sorry for you"), or criticize her ("I don't feel sorry for you because its your fault.")

Old 01-31-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Right!

If I sit there and DON'T LISTEN then I won't be faced with this sh*tty choice of having to either lie to her, or criticize her.
No, there's a 3rd option - you listen (or pretend to), say "uh-hu" and "I see," and shut up!

Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
No, there's a 3rd option - you listen (or pretend to), say "uh-hu" and "I see," and shut up!
Well, I do employ that tactic. It falls under the scope of 'not listening.'

My original question was more along the lines of... why do women insist upon putting men in that position? Do they not realize it, or is this lose-lose situation just their demented idea of bonding? Are there women who don't, how do I find them, and what are the drawbacks?

Last edited by le roi; 01-31-2011 at 11:17 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Well, I do employ that tactic. It falls under the scope of 'not listening.'

My original question was more along the lines of... why do women insist upon putting me in that position? Do they not realize it, or is this lose-lose situation just their demented idea of bonding? Are there women who don't, how do I find them, and what are the drawbacks?
People (not just women) want to be close with other people who are on the same wavelength, people who validate them. There are plenty of other unavoidable folks in our lives to drive us nuts and there's no need to have a relationship with such a person or keep him/her at home. In the cases when you disagree with something, but the topic isn't particularly important to you or the relationship, the best policy is to just listen and validate the other person's feelings. Feelings are just that... feelings... They can't be right or wrong... They don't need to be justifiable or acted upon... They come and go... Nobody wants a devil's advocate. Nobody feels turned on by a devil's advocate... if you get my drift... Is it worth it to you to be one?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:25 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
You're talking about the situations where I already agree with her, where I already sympathize with what she's dealing with. Sure, that's easy.

I'm talking about the situations where I think she's wrong, where I think she's responsible for creating her own problems.
NO, I'm not!

Did I not spell it out clearly enough? (perhaps you could reread my previous post?)

You can STILL be supportive of your woman even when you disagree with what she is upset about I even gave you examples of what to say to do that.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:28 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Right!

If I sit there and DON'T LISTEN then I won't be faced with this sh*tty choice of having to either lie to her ("I feel sorry for you"), or criticize her ("I don't feel sorry for you because its your fault.")
Dang, why can't men get this?????????????????????????

There is ANOTHER option

You don't deny or agree with her feelings - you simply empathize with how upset she is.

"I can see you are really upset, and I'm so sorry this has happened".

"I know that really frustrates you and I hate seeing you so unhappy".

SEE?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Dang, why can't men get this?????????????????????????

There is ANOTHER option

You don't deny or agree with her feelings - you simply empathize with how upset she is.

"I can see you are really upset, and I'm so sorry this has happened".

"I know that really frustrates you and I hate seeing you so unhappy".

SEE?
"I'm upset that you're upset."

Yeah, that actually does make sense. It is so ambiguous that it is meaningless, which makes it perfect. I'm putting that one in my back pocket for future reference.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
#7 has been an issue for us.

If I had a bad day or experience and wanted to vent...he'd offer solutions to try and fix the issue. 99% of the time I wasn't looking for solutions, I was looking for him to say "yeah that sucks" too or if he didn't agree with me, just to actively listen!

It used to frustrate the heck out of me. I've learned that it's just how he is wired.
I'm not even a man and that's how I'm wired.

Never understood the whole whining for whining's sake. Or what I guess is 'venting.' If I bring up a problem, I want to hear some solutions. Ergo, when I hear someone else talking about a problem, I figure they're asking for a solution.

Seems like that is not so for a lot of women. They just want your sympathy, empathy, and validation of their feelings. I have to try hard to remember that. It's a form of emotional support.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:31 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
"I'm upset that you're upset."

Yeah, that actually does make sense. It is so ambiguous that it is meaningless, which makes it perfect. I'm putting that one in my back pocket.
If you don't want to lie, just say, "Man, that sucks!" They will think you are referring to their situation, but you could really be saying that it sucks that you have to listen to them prattle on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships