U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,418,387 times

Advertisements

I haven't read the whole thread, TK, but to me, money isn't everything. A nice, decent, kind, honest person with a great personality is better then someone that has tons of money. But the little bit that I've read, I think you have self esteem problems with making $10 an hour. I wouldn't tell anyone how much I make and I wouldn't have arguments on how I live. Be confident and live the best you can on what you make and no one will villify you. And if they do, then move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 08:08 AM

5,203 posts, read 7,850,740 times
I might if I were a salesman, "gold-digger", or thief - but I'm not, so I don't.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:31 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,337,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If I'm living with her, she does.

But not every person I interact with is going to be someone I date. I've talked with a number of people online who I've never met who would appear to like me for some reason. There are people I'm acquainted with--in real life--who don't find my company intolerable. There must be some reason for that.
I don't date my friends but if they come over to visit I bring out some food. If we spend the day out doors we pack a picnic. Its not that people expect it but just that I have learned how to put together some good food in a snap. I guess it says something about me, that I can contribute more than just with my conversation and that I don't have to be rich to do this. That is the point of this post, what is your contribution beyond just conversation or being an opponent for board games.

If that is all you can or are willing to contribute, don't be surprised that you can count on one hand the number of people who want to be around you constantly. It doesn't mean that you are not valuable or are not worthy of being treated with civility. It just means that your access to many people will be limited.

The last people you should be concerned about are those who mean to do you harm.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:44 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,600,249 times
How would one even go about doing this?

Who advertises their bank balance?

Old 01-31-2011, 02:48 PM

6,250 posts, read 5,789,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
How would one even go about doing this?

Who advertises their bank balance?
Not really advertise your bank balance but for men not having a job, a degree, own transportation, etc. means you are no good bf/husband material. Some people may see this as superficial or something important women should pay attention to, which they do anyways.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:32 AM

24,453 posts, read 26,505,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Just wondering.

I admit to not making a lot of money, or having a lot of things. But that doesn't mean that I'm not valuable in my own right. In another forum, I had two posters attacking me for it, and a few posters who were supportive of me.
Well, we all do, at least a little. And I think we should, to an extent. Although some people automatically assume you have a lot of money in the bank if you have an expensive car/house, even though those things often jeapordize true financial security.

I do think it's important to be with someone who can support themselves with a basic lifestyle and still have money saved in cash and investments.

Fights over money are one of the biggest reasons why relationships fail. People who live beyond their means tend to have relationships that don't work out.

I think the common denominator is self discipline. People with self discipline manage their money better and are also capable of being better partners, on average.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
Quick question, how is living paycheck to paycheck really any different than having a salary? Either way if he gets fired he'll have no money the following month if he has no job. Forget 401k, because not everyone is fortunate to have one these days unless you're office personnel or management..
If you don't have a 401k, you can open up an IRA (Individual Retirement Account) with any mutual fund or brokerage company. It's not that difficult.

But I do agree with you, a lot of people have unrealistic expectations about what lifestyle will make them happy. The big house & expensive car are nice if you can truly afford them, but don't really make people happy in the long run, especially if lots of debt is aquired in getting them.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:49 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,600,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Not really advertise your bank balance but for men not having a job, a degree, own transportation, etc. means you are no good bf/husband material. Some people may see this as superficial or something important women should pay attention to, which they do anyways.
Oh in that case,

yeah I do that. I wouldn't date a woman without a job and her own transportation. I don't care too much about degrees.

doesn't have anything to do with her value though, rather it has to do with dating her or not

Old 02-01-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
It shouldn't matter how much money someone makes, period. What should matter is how you are as a person, how you're living your life, etc...
But how a person lives his/her life affects how much money he/she has. You can't separate one from the other.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
NOPE! Started dating my other half when we both were waiting tables...fast forward 6 years..started dating again and 6 digits was in the paycheck but was laid off shortly ....fast forward 6 years and now...making less....been there with no money, been there with a lot of money, still here with half of the money...bottom line I didn't care-we love each other to death-and if anyone marries or stays with someone for money you are in for a big suprise-nothing comes free.
It's not an all-or-nothing proposition. Money is a factor. It's not the only factor, but it does matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or