U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:25 AM

5,077 posts, read 12,474,333 times

Advertisements

I have never and would never take a look at someones bank account to decide if they are worthy or not. That's just absurd. Secondly, if you are just meeting someone and you are stupid enough to give someone that very private information, then you get what you deserve.
It shouldn't matter how much money someone makes, period. What should matter is how you are as a person, how you're living your life, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 AM

15,732 posts, read 16,779,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
So do spouses with high earning spouses....it's called a prenup.

Unless they started with nothing

Old 01-28-2011, 07:55 AM

42,837 posts, read 75,870,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I have never and would never take a look at someones bank account to decide if they are worthy or not. That's just absurd. Secondly, if you are just meeting someone and you are stupid enough to give someone that very private information, then you get what you deserve.
I don't think the question was to be taken THAT literally.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:05 AM

97 posts, read 130,566 times
I think it is important to have the same financial goals if you are planning to marry someone. I would never value someone based on income. I always hear money is one major issue with married couples that fight a lot.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:26 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,270,802 times
Quote:
Just wondering.

I admit to not making a lot of money, or having a lot of things. But that doesn't mean that I'm not valuable in my own right. In another forum, I had two posters attacking me for it, and a few posters who were supportive of me.
I would say you have different topics here. Some people have strong earning power. They can turn one dollar into two. I wouldn't say it is easier for them to make money, just that perhaps they prefer not to budget. They would rather just make more money. These people tend to be different thinkers than say, those who earn a steady salary and budget.

Then I I know people who would find themselves in financial trouble even for small things like missing a couple of days of work. I would not consider marrying a person like this.

Now, as far as having things, it depends. If you purposely don't buy stuff just because you think it is superior to not need things, then the size of your bank account doesn't matter. I would not consider you for marriage. I am okay driving a Toyota rather than a Lexus but I am not okay sleeping in a car to save money on a hotel. I am okay living in a small house in a good area but I am not okay with buying the cheapest house which usually is in a not so good area.

I like "creative" fun, the kind of fun without needing to spend a bunch of money. However, I don't think in the back of my mind what can I do that doesn't require money. It is usually an after thought....like, wow, that was fun and we didn't even spend that much money.

Last edited by crisan; 01-28-2011 at 09:37 AM..

Old 01-29-2011, 01:24 PM

8,680 posts, read 12,560,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Status: "I don't have to do nothin' but stay black and die."

Who cares?
That status is a quote from a movie, "Lean on Me." Perhaps if you got out more, you would know that.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:30 PM

3,487 posts, read 5,982,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
That status is a quote from a movie, "Lean on Me." Perhaps if you got out more, you would know that.
LOL, glad somebody got it...

Old 01-29-2011, 02:50 PM
miu

15,695 posts, read 32,611,968 times
Quote:
Either, really.

Who a person is ...is a lot more important than how much they make. The people who have taken the time to get to know me realize that. The people who don't are the ones who think women are "gold diggers" and that broke men shouldn't be dating.

My interactions with the women in my life have been more about talking together than about where we were going out. In fact, most times we sat at home and talked, or played games of some sort. It's about spending quality time with another, not how much money you spend on them.
So what sorts of things do you like to talk about? What games do you like to play?

I just don't think that I could spend a lot of time with anyone whose idea of quality time is solely staying at home and talking and playing games. I don't think that years of that sort of no cost stay-at-home activity is appealing to me. And I wouldn't consider that sort of "quality time" my idea of quality time.

Otherwise, if a person decides not to have a high powered career, that's really alright with me. But one shouldn't put down anyone that has a well-paying job since it does require skill and probably a pretty competitive spirit in terms of wanting to be at the top of their chosen field. And if one doesn't find a job that they love to do, they do need to find something else to do that they are passionate and skilled doing. Some hobby or pastime like perhaps playing a musical instrument, or carpentry, arts... just something more. And playing games at home just doesn't cut it, at least for me. In fact, I am not attracting to people that don't have passion or enthusiasm for living. I don't want to spend time with those who are passive floaters in life.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:07 PM

7,371 posts, read 12,032,658 times
Why would you go around telling people how much money you have in your bank account? And why would you entertain anyone who might inquire such a thing?

Old 01-29-2011, 03:09 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,167,851 times
Does anyone do that?
Hmmm....only about 90% of women before deciding whether or not to marry a guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or